Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Somewhere (2010)

Sofia Cappola accomplishes much the same here that Terrence Malick does with Knight of Cups using patience and observance in place of poetry and allegory. It plays much the same way as a silent picture where action takes precedence over dialogue. It's a gentle portrait of a meaningless life where crippling emptiness is broken up by an estranged daughter. Have yourself a happy cry.

http://boxd.it/8TDoX

I was never a fan of Lost in Translation, but this is a masterpiece.

I did 'like' it, but don't put me in the love it pile.

We literally watch plaster dry for 5 minutes. Argh....

Suspect's Reviews

I did 'like' it, but don't put me in the love it pile.

We literally watch plaster dry for 5 minutes. Argh....
Yeah, it's definitely not paced for the average viewer. I've started to find meditative pictures very rewarding. I love when Coppola just hangs on a shot for a full minute or two. So calming.

The Wild Hunt (2009)
Aside from the low lighting that makes some of the scenes hard to see, there really isn't much to complain about this haunting tale. The film holds no punches in its relentless portrayal of twisted reality. You could literally feel the bloodlust gradually consume you as it consumed the 'Shaman' and his tribe. Subtle imagery of a growing madness is presented as the film keeps you guessing when the breaking point will be. When will have fantasy gone too far?

Unregistered User

A Man Escaped (1956)

Took me a while for this to sink in but once it did I really enjoyed it. This was my third Robert Bresson and I had mixed feelings about the other two so I wasn't sure I would enjoy this.The main character is easy to relate to and the storyline is executed brilliantly through his own narrative.

Minimalistic and very realistic this is another film worth watching for the 50's countdown.

+

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

A Man Escaped (1956)

Took me a while for this to sink in but once it did I really enjoyed it. This was my third Robert Bresson and I had mixed feelings about the other two so I wasn't sure I would enjoy this.The main character is easy to relate to and the storyline is executed brilliantly through his own narrative.

Minimalistic and very realistic this is another film worth watching for the 50's countdown.

+
I love this movie, but "Pickpocket" is my favorite of his. I did like "Au Hasard Balthazar", "L'Argent", and "Diary of a Country Priest" was decent too.

If you like prison movies, check out "Birdman of Alcatraz" and another French that reminded me of Bresson, "Le Trou"

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Harry and Tonto (1974)

On Netflix now. An old man takes a road trip out west with his cat. Wow, what a beautiful movie. Art Carney won an Oscar for this performance. Mazursky deftly meshes emotion, comedy and characters so perfectly in this one. He actually made a sentimental movie without being sentimental, if that makes any sense. Great cast as well, including Larry Hagman and particularly Chief Dan George, who steals the funniest scene in the movie. Well worth a watch.

4.9 Orange Cats out of 5

Care for some gopher?
The School of Rock (Richard Linklater, 2003) -

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Harry and Tonto (1974)

On Netflix now. An old man takes a road trip out west with his cat. Wow, what a beautiful movie. Art Carney won an Oscar for this performance. Mazursky deftly meshes emotion, comedy and characters so perfectly in this one. He actually made a sentimental movie without being sentimental, if that makes any sense. Great cast as well, including Larry Hagman and particularly Chief Dan George, who steals the funniest scene in the movie. Well worth a watch.

4.9 Orange Cats out of 5
Makes perfect sense! I'm soooooooo happy you liked this - it's my favorite all-time movie!

I'll be sure to tell everyone it's on NetFlix.

The Witch

Beautiful, even masterful film. I loved how the dialogue was in Olde English. The leading young actress (Anya-Taylor Joy) is quite competent as well. Also, how brave/desperate/zealous were those early pilgrims and colonialists to the New World?

I hated the final scene though.

4/5

I will also rate some other films I have seen recently:

Deadpool - 5/5

Dark City - 2/5

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 5/5

Exodus Gods and Kings:

Christian Bale is great. The technical look is solid. Everything else fell flat. This is 160 minutes long, and REALLY did not have to be 160 minutes long. The characters are ridiculously thin. They have no distinguishable traits-any of them. Really boring.

I have to return some videotapes.

My first movie that i've seen in the past ~2 weeks is a pretty big surprise. I've tried before to get through Alien, but never could get very far. It just didn't intrigue me and it didn't help that I hate Sigourney Weaver. I like that she wasn't portrayed as too badass nor sexualized and i'm impressed with the 70s visual effects. I gotta say though, The Thing and Alien feel sooo alike. Just building up to each of the movies' endings were so similar. Glad I finished it, but I doubt ill watch it very frequently.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My first movie that i've seen in the past ~2 weeks is a pretty big surprise. I've tried before to get through Alien, but never could get very far. It just didn't intrigue me and it didn't help that I hate Sigourney Weaver. I like that she wasn't portrayed as too badass nor sexualized and i'm impressed with the 70s visual effects. I gotta say though, The Thing and Alien feel sooo alike. Just building up to each of the movies' endings were so similar. Glad I finished it, but I doubt ill watch it very frequently.
I'm confused. You love The Thing and you say it feels so alike to Alien which came first. You just hate Sigourney that much?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

(REWATCH) Beat The Devil (1953)
Definitely will be on my 50's list.

Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye
(1950) This one will has a very strong chance of making the cut. Hard to say, there is quite a list at present.