Oscar's Best Picture 2024

Tools    

Which will be the Academy's next Best Picture?
0%
0 votes
American Fiction
0%
0 votes
Anatomy of a Fall
0%
0 votes
Barbie
16.67%
4 votes
The Holdovers
12.50%
3 votes
Killers of the Flower Moon
0%
0 votes
Maestro
62.50%
15 votes
Oppenheimer
0%
0 votes
Past Lives
4.17%
1 votes
Poor Things
4.17%
1 votes
The Zone of Interest
24 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The ten nominees are...

American Fiction
Anatomy of a Fall
Barbie
The Holdovers
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I don't see any way Oppenheimer loses this. I'm happy for Oppenheimer, The Holdovers, and Maestro. Personally, I don't think Anatomy of a Fall, Barbie, or Killers of the Flower Moon deserve a best picture nomination, but I was expecting them to get nominated. I haven't yet seen Past Lives, Zone of Interest, American Fiction, or Poor Things.

A system of cells interlinked
I had somehow missed the trailer for American Fiction. That looks good, also...

I have a lot of catching up to do!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've seen 5 of the 10 before the nominations were announced. Gives me a decent shot to see all 10 before the ceremony.

Oppenheimer should win, but I'm super stoked Past Lives got a nomination.

Still haven’t seen Poor Things, Zone Of Interest, or American Fiction.

For me Oppenheimer is the cream of the crop, with Killers and Anatomy not far behind. Also super happy, surprised, and excited to see Holdovers get so much nom love. I love Payne (mostly), and loved this flick.

Oppenheimer is favored to win, but I'm going with The Holdovers, because that movie is the best and most endearing film of 2023.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Still have a few to catch up on.

Going to the cinema tomorrow for The Holdovers & Poor Things, still to catch up with Maestro on streaming, neither American Fiction nor The Zone of Interest has been released here in the UK yet, while Anatomy of a Fall was at the cinema here, but there was no AD/translation available so hopefully will be able to find this online.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Oppenheimer winning would be in line with the Academy's yearly proof that they no longer love cinema. (Not that they ever did.)

(I haven't seen Oppenheimer.)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The truth is in here
Barbie? BARBIE is one of the nominees? Are you kidding me?

Anyway, undecided. Could be something understated like Past Lives, but also a more cerebral affair like Oppenheimer.

Oppenheimer winning would be in line with the Academy's yearly proof that they no longer love cinema. (Not that they ever did.)

(I haven't seen Oppenheimer.)
If it wins best picture, what's being awarded is the subject matter and not the creative process that created the movie. It's not a great piece of film making, more like a piece of film making

I don't know anything about American Fiction, but as for the rest, it is the rare list of nominations where none of them nauseate me. No I havent seen many of them, but none of them look like the fake ass pap they normally like to cover in award splooge.

Barbie? BARBIE is one of the nominees? Are you kidding me?

Anyway, undecided. Could be something understated like Past Lives, but also a more cerebral affair like Oppenheimer.
Thank you! This had to be said.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Barbie is in the 'on the list because it made lots of money and the masses have heard of it therefore it will generate headlines and interest but hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of winning' slot. It's this year's Top Gun Maverick or Black Panther.