17th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amélie)
(Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
122 mins, IMDb

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
(Andrew Dominik, 2007)
160 mins, IMDb

The Aviator
(Martin Scorsese, 2004)
170 mins, IMDb

La nuit américaine (Day for Night)
(François Truffaut, 1973)
115 mins, IMDb

The Dressmaker
(Jocelyn Moorhouse, 2015)
119 mins, IMDb

Ghostwatch
(Leslie Manning, 1992)
91 mins, IMDb

Uccellacci e uccellini (The Hawks and the Sparrows)
(Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1966)
89 mins, IMDb

Incendies
(Denis Villeneuve, 2010)
131 mins, IMDb

The Innocents
(Jack Clayton, 1961)
100 mins, IMDb

Lean On Pete
(Andrew Haigh, 2017)
121 mins, IMDb

Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In)
(Tomas Alfredson, 2008)
115 mins, IMDb

The Libertine
(Laurence Dunmore, 2004)
114 mins, IMDb

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
(Guy Ritchie, 1998)
107 mins, IMDb

Pixote: A Lei do Mais Fraco (Pixote)
(Hector Babenco, 1981)
128 mins, IMDb

Rush
(Ron Howard, 2013)
123 mins, IMDb

@CitizenRules, @CosmicRunaway, @cricket, @edarsenal,
@HashtagBrownies, @Jay Redrum, @Luis, @MijaFrost,
@Nathaniel, @neiba, @pahaK, @rauldc14,
@Siddon, @TheUsualSuspect

You must turn in your ballots by midnight, Pacific Time, on Saturday, December 29th.

Don't forget to check in at least once every ten days by posting in this thread. Any post in this thread counts as a check-in. You do not have to specify that you are checking in unless that is your only reason for posting.

I will be linking people's write-ups in the second post of this thread. I would appreciate if participants could mention me when posting their reviews so that I don't miss any.

I've seen six of these movies, including my own nomination. Of those six, I love two, like one, and disliked the other three to varying degrees. I will be rewatching all of them.

Of the films I haven't seen, I think I'm most looking forward to Lean On Pete.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
OK, first off, WHOMEVER nominated The Libertine. . . YOU F@CKIN ROCK!!

Wow, Miss Vicky was punctual! She said she'd post the reveals at 2:30 PM west coast time and she did, right to the minute

A good bunch of films too. I'm excited about these!

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I've seen five of these films, including my nom. There's a couple I've been curious about and the rest I haven't even heard of. Should be a good HoF!

I've definitely seen five of the nominations, with one or two others that I may have seen. I'm pretty terrible at remembering film titles haha. Here are some initial reactions to the nominations:

Amélie - While the cinematography is very pretty, I did not enjoy this film when I first saw it. I did not like it any more when I had to rewatch it for a film class a few years later either. I may or may not have watched it a third time for some other tournament here, or perhaps that was a strange dream.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
- I haven't seen this.

The Aviator - I've heard good things about this film, but was always hesitant to watch it because I can never really get into Leonardo DiCaprio's performances. To me it always feels like he's acting, and not embodying the character. Maybe this one will change my mind?

Day for Night - This looks so familiar. I might have seen it before.

The Dressmaker - I thought this film looked intriguing when I saw a trailer for it a couple of years ago. Then I forgot about it until it popped up on the Directed by Women Countdown the other day.

Ghostwatch - I might have to watch this one in October, since it looks like it'll fit in thematically with Halloween.

The Hawks and the Sparrows - I know about this film, but I haven't seen it.

Incendies - Since I've liked everything I've seen from Villenueve, this was on my watchlist for awhile. I saw it recently and enjoyed it.

The Innocents - I've seen this but I don't remember much about it, if anything at all. Definitely needs to be rewatched either way.

Lean On Pete - This is not the type of movie I'd typically watch, though often times they can be the most surprising in these HoFs.

Let the Right One In - I saw this when it was new and thought it was pretty good. I refused to watch the American remake.

The Libertine - I don't think I've heard of this one before.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - I like this film quite a bit, and am generally a fan of Ritchie's style. I haven't seen it in awhile, so it'll be nice to revisit it.

Pixote - I don't think I've heard of this one before.

Rush - Despite liking both Daniel Brühl and Chris Hemsworth, I didn't see this film until fairly recently. Spoilers: I liked it.

I'm no good at guessing, and I'm to lazy to look at everyone's profiles and list to see what movies are there. So here goes nothing.....

Miss Vicky ...The Libertine (a film about debauchery, sounds like a MV nom)

Citizen Rules...It be kind of cheating if I guess my own nom

pahaK ...Let the Right One In...(a film with 12 year old girls, got to be his!)

rauldc14...Aviator (Guessing Raul has good taste)

cricket...Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (booze, guns, crime, it's Crickets)

Siddon...The Innocents (he said he'd go with a horror film)

Nathaniel...Amélie (young guys like this film)

CosmicRunaway...Day for Night (Seems like a Cosmic nom to me)

edarsenal...The Libertine (also seems like an Ed film)

TheUsualSuspect... Ghostwatch (just cause I don't know what his film taste is)

neiba...The Hawks and the Sparrows (something about the movie's photo makes me think of his recent noms)

Jay Redrum... The Dressmaker (maybe he seen it on the Women's Directors Countdown)

These are some really great nominations!!

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amélie) Been VERY VERY curious to see this one and never seemed to get around to seeing it and, YAY, now I can!

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford Seen this a couple of times, great flick. Looking forward to a rewatch

The Aviator Been AGES since I've seen this. Awesome!

La nuit américaine (Day for Night) Have not heard of this, but a French film with Jacqueline Bisset?? I am SO in!!

The Dressmaker Seen it. Enjoyed it. Will happily see it again.

Ghostwatch have not heard of this but it definitely has a War of The Worlds done in a supernatural setup feel to it.

Uccellacci e uccellini (The Hawks and the Sparrows) . . . ok, I'm game

Incendies Sounds like a very emotionally powerful film. Should be very good

The Innocents Have not seen this for a few decades and have a very hard time remember it so it'll be like a new watch for me.

Lean On Pete This could go either way but the fact that Steve Buscemi is in it is a definite plus.

Låt den rätte komma (Let the Right One In) a very good, brooding horror film. Looking forward to the rewatch of this.

The Libertine see above statement. Own this one and have seen it multiple times.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels OK, really? This is just sh*te. Pure and simple. What numb nut nominated this?!

Pixote: A Lei do Mais Fraco (Pixote) This'll be pretty intense!

Rush Remember a number of raves about this when it first came out so I'm pretty glad to finally check it out.

I'm bad at guessing nominations, but I'll take a stab at a couple:

Ed - Lock, Stock. If not him, then maybe this is Suspect's?
Hashtag - Ghostwatch, since it seems the spookiest.
MV - Rush. She's mentioned it before.
pahak - Let the Right One In. Has to be.

I'm bad at guessing nominations, but I'll take a stab at a couple:

Ed - Lock, Stock. If not him, then maybe this is Suspect's?
Hashtag - Ghostwatch, since it seems the spookiest.
MV - Rush. She's mentioned it before.
pahak - Let the Right One In. Has to be.
Three of these are correct.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels OK, really? This is just sh*te. Pure and simple. What numb nut nominated this?!
I can't tell if you're serious, or if you're trying to throw us off guessing what your nomination is haha.

Miss Vicky ...The Libertine I agree with CR, this fits Miss Vicky rather nicely and if it is it's just gonna give me yet another reason to think just how much she rocks

Citizen Rules...CR does have a great way of surprising me with his noms, but I'm gonna try with Dressmaker

pahaK ...Let the Right One In... again, agreeing with CR, pahaK has quite the running theme

rauldc14... raul has some extraordinary ecclectic tastes so I'm gonna guess Sparrows and Hawks

cricket... from what I read about Pixote, it sounds like cricket

Siddon... either Innocents or Let The Right One In, but most likely Innocents

Nathaniel...I'm going to take a blind guess and say Aviator.

CosmicRunaway...Day for Night (Seems like a Cosmic nom to me)

TheUsualSuspect... I gotta go with Ghostwatch. Seems to fit for Usual

neiba...another blind guess and I'll try Lean on Pete

Jay Redrum... possibly Rush

Forgot Hashtag: That may be Aviator' nominator

so that would make these correct?
Miss Vicky ...The Libertine
cricket... Pixote
TheUsualSuspect... Ghostwatch

not sure which would be the fourth one

but i'll try Hashtag... The Aviator

so that would make these correct?
Miss Vicky ...The Libertine
cricket... Pixote
TheUsualSuspect... Ghostwatch

not sure which would be the fourth one
No, you're wrong about Suspect.

But you got me and cricket. The Libertine is my nomination. As Citizen pointed out, I do love me some debauchery. I expect he and a few others will hate it, but I love it and felt like watching it again. Cosmic wasn't far off with her guess of Rush, though. I love that movie too and it was on my shortlist of potential nominations.

ETA: Also wrong about Hashtag.