'Oldie movies'

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I'm not into writing anything off for these kinds of glib reasons, new or old. I pulled the old 'nothing new is any good' crap when I was a teenager, and like most teenagers, I didn't really know what I was talking about.
I was just down the street doing the same thing!

The trick is not minding
I remember when I was teenager just getting into movies, I wasn’t concerned about black and white movies, foreign films, or anything before the 1970’s. Boy did I change my opinion quickly.

Hong Kong action film buff.
Isn’t that her decision? Do we really need to make a thread calling out someone over her preference for movies?
You have to admit, not watching a movie based on it's release date is pretty ridiculous.

Also answers to Jabba
You have to admit, not watching a movie based on it's release date is pretty ridiculous.
The same can be said for an adult not knowing the difference between it's and its but I would have to be a douchebag to point it out. Oh, wait...

Joking aside, the point people have been trying to make and you seem to not want to take seriously, is that calling out someone like that by directly quoting them in a different thread only to disparage them is rude at best. At worst it is an unconscious attempt to make yourself feel better for your tastes and self-perceived open-mindedness. Humans tend to do that. Someone even dropped the term 'normies' which implies that those who watch older films are 'special' or 'extraordinary' I guess.

If you genuinely wanted to discuss the topic of people's viewing habits in relation to a film's release date, you could have made a topic about that. As crumb's posts show, it is something worth discussing in depth. You could have even alluded to Sookie's quote or outright mention it inspired you to start the topic. Alas, you chose to quote someone's off the cuff comment and essentially shame them for it, which comes out as obnoxious.

Hong Kong action film buff.
The same can be said for an adult not knowing the difference between it's and its but I would have to be a douchebag to point it out.

Who said I was an adult?

At worst it is an unconscious attempt to make yourself feel better for your tastes and self-perceived open-mindedness. Humans tend to do that.
Ehm, no. I do not think I am an extraordinary human being and you are all peasants. I just think that basing how a movie could be off when it was released is an undeniably pointless thing to do.

Alas, you chose to quote someone's off the cuff comment and essentially shame them for it, which comes out as obnoxious.
I must say you are being obnoxious and going the extra mile. Read the OP. "I MUST SAY YOU'RE MISSING OUT." I did not say anything about the person.

Also answers to Jabba
Who said I was an adult?
Ehm, no. I do not think I am an extraordinary human being and you are all peasants. I just think that basing how a movie could be off when it was released is an undeniably pointless thing to do.
I must say you are being obnoxious and going the extra mile. Read the OP. "I MUST SAY YOU'RE MISSING OUT." I did not say anything about the person.

'Adult' was a kindness on my end. One need not be eligible to vote to spell possessive pronouns properly. And yes, I was being obnoxious, that was the entire point my friend.

*Some people don't watch old films. Because they've seen a couple and didn't like them.
*Some people don't watch subtitled international films. Because they've seen a couple and didn't like them.
*I don't watch superhero films because I've seen a couple and didn't like them.

It was one of the points that started the thread, and also was a part of your post.
Pretty sure I did respond to what you had posted, however, and even agreed to most of it

It just seemed you were lumping what I said in with shunning someone. And I'm saying, I clearly wasn't responding to the genesis of this thread, or why a posters comment from another thread was dragged over here. In fact, I have never interacted with that poster ever, as far as I can recall.

My points were specifically about your general claim that you didn't see the reason to care about the viewing habits of others. I clarified this in my first sentence when I said there is probably no reason to fret about the viewing habits of single individuals, but there is definitely reason to worry about trends.

Yes, I talked about how frequently disappointed I am in movie forums where deeper conversations can sometimes be slim pickings, but I also called myself petty for this.

At no point was I backing up the shaming of any one individual. Because when I do do that sort of thing, it is pretty clear when and why I am doing that. And it usually has to do with a lot more than what movies they want to talk about.

I was just down the street doing the same thing!

And my hope is in twenty years, I think everything I'm saying today is completely lame. Otherwise, I've clearly wasted all of those years learning to be less stupid.

The trick is not minding
It just seemed you were lumping what I said in with shunning someone. And I'm saying, I clearly wasn't responding to the genesis of this thread, or why a posters comment from another thread was dragged over here. In fact, I have never interacted with that poster ever, as far as I can recall.

My points were specifically about your general claim that you didn't see the reason to care about the viewing habits of others. I clarified this in my first sentence when I said there is probably no reason to fret about the viewing habits of single individuals, but there is definitely reason to worry about trends.

Yes, I talked about how frequently disappointed I am in movie forums where deeper conversations can sometimes be slim pickings, but I also called myself petty for this.

At no point was I backing up the shaming of any one individual. Because when I do do that sort of thing, it is pretty clear when and why I am doing that. And it usually has to do with a lot more than what movies they want to talk about.
I wasn’t lumping you in with it. However, after you had distanced yourself from the shaming, you mentioned in the next paragraph about eyerolls (I misspelled it as eye shrugs lol), so I was responding to that while an eyeroll, or even an eyeroll emoji is fine, shaming someone so publicly wasn’t. I wasn’t suggesting anything about you doing that, and even separated the two examples by doing so.

Worrying about trends is fine. I don’t concern myself with them, but I get some people may. I also don’t see it as a general problem. The amount of cinephiles has grown in the past 25-30 years, since I was a kid walking down to the local video store to rent as many movies as possible.

I wasn’t lumping you in with it. However, after you had distanced yourself from the shaming, you mentioned in the next paragraph about eyerolls (I misspelled it as eye shrugs lol), so I was responding to that while an eyeroll, or even an eyeroll emoji is fine, shaming someone so publicly wasn’t. I wasn’t suggesting anything about you doing that, and even separated the two examples by doing so.

Worrying about trends is fine. I don’t concern myself with them, but I get some people may. I also don’t see it as a general problem. The amount of cinephiles has grown in the past 25-30 years, since I was a kid walking down to the local video store to rent as many movies as possible.

Understood.

The amount of cinephiles has grown in the past 25-30 years, since I was a kid walking down to the local video store to rent as many movies as possible.
I would be a bit concerned about the fact that the market for classic movies appears to be steadily shrinking, as older people who grew up with this movies pass away and fewer younger people get deep into the classics - just look at the classic movies available on services like Netflix, it's shameful

I would be a bit concerned about the fact that the market for classic movies appears to be steadily shrinking, as older people who grew up with this movies pass away and fewer younger people get deep into the classics - just look at the classic movies available on services like Netflix, it's shameful

I've never studied the demographics on these kinds of things, but this is my gut reaction as well.

While you'd think the easy access to virtually every movie in existence should be grooming film scholars all over the world, it appears that most are just lazily rolling towards Netflix, or other lousy streaming services, instead of really investigating much else. And most of the major streamers are TERRIBLE at having any truly diverse selections.

TERRIBLE.

But who knows. Maybe people are keeping themselves dialled into the classics. My pessimism demands I reject this as a likelihood though

Good point and a sad reality. I'll keep watching old films myself and without Netflix's help.

The trick is not minding
Netflix is a terrible example of what we want. Its only concern is keeping the average person entertained, and that’s fine.

I’m talking about Criterion, Mubi, Tubi. Tubi, which has a surprisingly large amount of both older and foreign films. Films from Ozu, Mizoguchi, Fukasaku. It has a decent amount of silent films, including early John Ford films that predate Stagecoach.
These, especially the first two, are aimed at people who like to watch old films. And it seems they’re doing fine. Heck, even Amazon a prime has a decent selection of older films, like Bunuel, Petri, Truffaut among others. I have Marat/Sade saved to watch soon.

Now, does this mean we out number the average person who prefers recent movies, or simpler movies? No, but I wouldn’t sound an alarm bell quite yet either.

Well HELLO THERE.
If you're saying that you haven't watched a single movie released before 1993 or so, my god. I must say that you are missing out.
Great, 1993 is old. I watch the panorama of cinema eras all the way back to silent feature film, not much into the shorts.

The trick is not minding
Great, 1993 is old. I watch the panorama of cinema eras all the way back to silent feature film, not much into the shorts.
I dare say you’re missing out on some great short films, particularly the silent comedies from the 1920’s with Chaplin, Keaton and Lloyd.

I dare say you’re missing out on some great short films, particularly the silent comedies from the 1920’s with Chaplin, Keaton and Lloyd.
That's what they say, but none of the titles interest me much.

There's more wit and imagination in most of these shorts than in the entire yearly output of some modern-day studios, honestly