How you got into Star Wars

Tools    

Some good stories, it's great to see how the films have played a part in peoples life.

I find it interesting that some people are holding back this time around after been burnt by the prequels. I have the same feeling, I'm not getting to excited which will set me up for huge disappointment. I'm just going in with no expectation and just hope that its good fun.

Brimming with rififi!
I was born in '85, so I too missed their initial theatrical runs. But I wound up watching the entire trilogy one afternoon at my uncle's house when I was six years old. My mom and I were visiting him over the weekend. He lived in Santa Barba, we in Oregon. I was bored out of my f'n mind. I'm sure I played Tetris on my GameBoy until my fingers bled. So Tetris wouldn't cut it any longer. My mom told me to go watch TV. I went into the living room and saw my uncle's large VHS collection. On the shelf I saw Indiana Jones. I saw Jaws. I saw Back to the Future. Then I saw Star Wars, a topic of the playground I wasn't yet privy to. I shook Star Wars out of its sleeve and fed it into the VCR. A few quick tracking adjustments and about six and a half hours later I was hooked. I was swinging lightsabers. I was piloting AT-ATs. I couldn't get enough.

I was seven years old in May of 1977. I saw Star Wars almost thirty times in the theater. What more do I need to say?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I love movies about Space and future, etc but not Star Wars. I think the concept is SO OLD and outdated that it's not even funny. I'm tired of Hollywood shoving this 'old' idea down my throat for the last god knows how many years. What I do remember is that fighting scene (When he was in the dogfight in the original star wars movie) was awesome. However, it's an old old movie and we need to move on. Seriously. I hate it when I hear ppl talk about r2d2 or Yoda etc JESUS!!!

I was introduced to Star Wars through the Prequels (Which as shocked as you might be, made me loath Star Wars more than anything at first and I was about to not even bother with the other 3 as I thought it was gonna be more of the same that we got with the prequels just with even worse special effects) then I mom was like "You ain't seen ****" and gave me the original ones to watch, while the pop culture had already ruined these movies biggest moments for me I still enjoyed them as films. With the great things i'm hearing from this new one I might be finally going into a good Star Wars film without knowing all the big plot points and twists so it will probably be a fantastic experience for me.

I was seven years old in May of 1977. I saw Star Wars almost thirty times in the theater. What more do I need to say?
I think you people who see a movie 30 times in a theater need to have experiments done on you.

Like seriously, I can barely afford to go see a movie once....let alone THIRTY TIMES.
Granted, I'm sure it was a long time ago and the prices were cheaper and you may not have had them on VHS... but still.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Granted, I'm sure it was a long time ago and the prices were cheaper and you may not have had them on VHS... but still.

We used to have a movie theater here that charged the amount of the year, so in 1977 they charged 77 cents, in 1978 they charged 78 cents, etc.

That's where I went if I wanted to see a movie numerous times.

Happy to report The Force Awakens is great, has some problems but overall very good and a huge step up from the prequels.

Looks like I'm back on-board with Star Wars love and will be heading to the cinema a few times over Xmas to watch it again.

There really wasn't VHS, yet. Star Wars was not released on tape until 1982, two years after The Empire Strikes Back. Movie tickets were only about $3 or $4 in the late '70s, $1 or $2 if you went to a matinee.

But yes, even given all of that, thirty times is a lot.

I got into it when my neighbour showed me ESB, a pirate copy on betamax tape in the early 1980s. I never knew ANH even existed.

I did see ROTJ at the cinema in 1984 - it was great. My brother got alot of figures for his birthday that year, making me jealous. I did get the Milllenium Falcon for christmas but , my brother got the chewie and han figures. So, I had a pilotless ship to play with! I remember the tesco store in the uk selling the figures in a bargain bin after ROTJ stopped at the cinema - for £1 each! I begged my mum to buy them but, she refused and dragged me kicking screaming from the store. Happy days!

Something else you could do with the Star Wars movies was dub the sound on the old VHS videos systems, putting our own voices to the characters and sound effects. We had a great laugh with that. Lightsabre scenes were dubbed with the clanging of a metal plant pot and blowing raspberries into the mic at key scenes was all good. Great times.