The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Close Encounters is a very good film, possibly great, very Spielberg but it has a few touches that make it stand out as one of his more enjoyable sappy films. Love Truffaut's character, and think the second half with the mountain feels very Hitchcock like, I find it interesting about what Spielberg said regarding the ending about the main character and his family.
+

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is great fun. I didn't include it in my list but I easily could have. I went for Life of Brian instead, possibly because it's easier to type

I recently posted the film in my top 100 actually, not writing much, but I might as well advertise it:

I like the three Monty Python feature films about equal, and on another day I could have chosen another film to represent them on my list. I find their films hilarious, and love their satire as they use history, politics and religion for many laughs. I don't know what else I can say really?

I like both films. I watched Close Encounters again earlier this year, after not having seen it in a really long time, except for chunks of it on TV. It certainly holds up, I think, though I'm uncertain of the ending. But I remember seeing this in the drive-in with my parents as a kid and being totally dazzled by it. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is great, great fun, but I don't even like it a tenth as much as I do Life of Brian, just because of how much I adore that film. Neither made my list. Fifteen movies have shown up from my list, and I know 7 more are coming. So three won't make it. But they should have, dammit, they should have. I'm really looking forward to seeing the 101-130.

As a side note, it looks like Cabaret won't make it, and I find that really shocking. Not that I voted for it, but nonetheless...

I like both films. I watched Close Encounters again earlier this year, after not having seen it in a really long time, except for chunks of it on TV. It certainly holds up, I think, though I'm uncertain of the ending. But I remember seeing this in the drive-in with my parents as a kid and being totally dazzled by it. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is great, great fun, but I don't even like it a tenth as much as I do Life of Brian, just because of how much I adore that film. Neither made my list. Fifteen movies have shown up from my list, and I know 7 more are coming. So three won't make it. But they should have, dammit, they should have. I'm really looking forward to seeing the 101-130.

As a side note, it looks like Cabaret won't make it, and I find that really shocking. Not that I voted for it, but nonetheless...
Cabaret was in the 40's.

Yup. Cheer up, Chum. Bob Fosse's Cabaret was our number forty, with 199 points. Clicky HERE.

And for anybody who hasn't discovered this tool yet for navigating this very long thread, if you go back to the first page, second post, I update the list as we go, and clicking on each title there will direct you to where it is buried in this thread. Right HERE.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The People's Republic of Clogher
Holy Grail was my #7 but I'm leaving it at that. Not quoting it. Oh no.

I've punched people in bars for excessive Pythoning...

Not gonna reveal the titles that will make the list, as points are important with their placing, but I think it should be okay if I do this?

Didn't make it:

The Man Who Fell to Earth
Stroszek
French Connection II
Images
Brewster McCloud
El Topo

19/25 films will make the list.

I've 59 out of 88 films

Holy Grail was my #7 but I'm leaving it at that. Not quoting it. Oh no.

I've punched people in bars for excessive Pythoning...
Not even one little 'Ni'?

Not gonna reveal the titles that will make the list, as points are important with their placing, but I think it should be okay if I do this?

1. The Long Goodbye
2. Le Cercle Rouge
3. Nashville
4. McCabe & Mrs. Miller
5. The Conformist
6. Walkabout
7. Five Easy Pieces
8. The Man Who Fell to Earth
9. Eraserhead
10. ???
11. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
12. Stroszek
13. ???
14. The Mirror
15. Stalker
16. The Spirit of the Beehive
17. ???
18. The French Connection II
19. Don't Look Now
20. American Graffiti
21. ???
22. Images
23. Brewster McCloud
24. El Topo
25. Life of Brian

I've 59 out of 88 films
No. Holden, disqualify Daniel and start the list over.

Tee-hee.

Yeah, that's fine, Dan, you can leave it up if you want. But if everybody else could hold out one more day to post your also-rans, please. After tomorrow's reveal of #12 and #11, as well as #102 through #130, all that will remain will be the Top Ten, which everyone seems to have figured who the players are, anyway, if not the order. When the Top Ten is all we have left, if people want to reveal what's on their lists not including their placements for these last ten, I guess that'd be alright. The only suspense left from here on out, really, is the order.

And if you're unsure of what is or isn't in the top ten, then just wait.

But give it at least one more day, please.

Thanks.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Not even one little 'Ni'?
Enough!

I once shared a house with a guy who owned, not only all the videos, but all the Monty Python LPs.

I love the Pythons but after a few months (he was also a compulsive Red Dwarf quoter) I was ready to commit bloody murder.

ILike everyone has said, the movie looks amazing, with many scenes worthy of being framed and hung on a wall.
Does that make it any different to any other Kubrick movie?

I don't really have anything to say about either of the last two choices, except that, even in the six months of my life where I did quite like Monty Python, the films weren't favourites I think I preferred both The Meaning Of Life and Life Of Brian to Holy Grail.

Enough!

I once shared a house with a guy who owned, not only all the videos, but all the Monty Python LPs.

I love the Pythons but after a few months (he was also a compulsive Red Dwarf quoter) I was ready to commit bloody murder.
It's only a model.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Enough!

People who quote movies/TV shows are annoying?

Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion man.

Reviews

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail was my #16. The first time I watched it I was in tears laughing. And that was just the opening credits.

On the other hand, I thought Close Encounters of the Third Kind was rubbish. Sorry.

I love two thirds of Close Encounters. The manic atmosphere is great. Watching Dreyfus's obsession spin out of control is fun as well . The last third just loses me. The little spy game and the of course the communication which feels like a segment of Sesame Street to me. Still a good movie but not an ending I enjoy.

I have watched bits and pieces of Monty stuff while working at blockbuster. I think the humor is fine but have never had a desire to sit down and spend two full hours with one of these movies.