The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

First one from my ballot show. Brick was my number 25. While I don't remember much about the plot I do remember plenty about the style and dialogue. It was such a cool movie. I could see this being a love/hate type of

I will admit, as much as I love Brick (half the points it got were from me alone, so you can blame me for it rating higher than the other 19 films so far) it's definitely style and dialog that makes it shine. The plot is a bit convoluted, especially if you try to take the high school aspect too seriously, but as I said, I'm a sucker for this type of film.

I forgot the opening line.
Blue Ruin has been on my watchlist for a while - I'll probably get around to seeing it one day soon, because from the moment I heard about it I was itching to give it a go.

81. Brick - The first film from my ballot to show! Brick could be considered a 'gimmick' movie, with it's typical noir storyline transposed to high school and kids instead of grimy old hardened private detectives and filthy crooks - but the execution is so on-point that this transferal works in the film's favour. It's a pretty tense and compelling case of murder, loss, regret and crime - with a young Joseph Gordon-Levitt doing a sterling job. Most of the credit went to Rian Johnson - and for a moment everyone was on his side (Star Wars would change all of that 12 years later) - this was his directorial debut. A real moody film that delves all the way back into the film noir classics of old - with the smart dialogue probably my favourite carryover. This one caught me by surprise, and was different enough to be very much worth seeking out. I had it at #17.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen : 11/20
I'd never even heard of : 3/20
Movies that had been on my radar, but I haven't seen yet : 6/20
Films from my list : 1

#81 - My #17 - Brick (2005)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Blue Ruin has been on my watchlist for a while - I'll probably get around to seeing it one day soon, because from the moment I heard about it I was itching to give it a go.

81. Brick - The first film from my ballot to show! Brick could be considered a 'gimmick' movie, with it's typical noir storyline transposed to high school and kids instead of grimy old hardened private detectives and filthy crooks - but the execution is so on-point that this transferal works in the film's favour. It's a pretty tense and compelling case of murder, loss, regret and crime - with a young Joseph Gordon-Levitt doing a sterling job. Most of the credit went to Rian Johnson - and for a moment everyone was on his side (Star Wars would change all of that 12 years later) - this was his directorial debut. A real moody film that delves all the way back into the film noir classics of old - with the smart dialogue probably my favourite carryover. This one caught me by surprise, and was different enough to be very much worth seeking out. I had it at #17.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen : 11/20
I'd never even heard of : 3/20
Movies that had been on my radar, but I haven't seen yet : 6/20
Films from my list : 1

#81 - My #17 - Brick (2005)

9 points from you, and 23 points from me. That means the remaining 5 voters contributed a total of 14 points altogether.
I don't have a point here. I just like statistics and ranked lists. 🤓

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Dennis Hopper appeared in the list three times so far. Twice as actor and once as a director.

And he has two more coming for certain, drinking that Pabst Blue Ribbon, and I suppose enough of the Tarantino crowd will get the eggplant in, too. I guess Rumble Fish may make the cut? I wouldn't think much else Hopper was involved with has a chance, maybe an outside shot for Colors or The River's Edge, unless pure action movies like Speed got enough votes (which will be too bad).

Hopper blamed a lot of The Hot Spot's lack of initial success on Don Johnson, who apparently wasn't high on doing a lot of promotion for it. According to Hopper, Johnson was waiting to see if it was well received critically before he fully got behind it. Once the reviews were timid to bad...he bailed.

Oh, well. I love that flick.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

3lists47points
Dirty Harry
Director

Don Siegel, 1971

Starring

Clint Eastwood, Harry Guardino, Reni Santoni, John Vernon

4lists47points
The Driver
Director

Walter Hill, 1978

Starring

Ryan O'Neal, Bruce Dern, Isabelle Adjani, Ronee Blakley

TRAILERS

Dirty Harry - Police Inspector Harry Callahan tracks down a serial killer that calls himself "the Scorpio Killer" who's menacing the streets of San Francisco.

The Driver - A getaway driver becomes the target of a relentless detective who is determined to capture him, even if it is at the expense of other criminals.

Dirty Harry is a film I saw often on TV when I was a kid. I revisited it a couple of years ago and I liked it, but I don't hold it as the holy grail of crime films that most people do. This is a bit of what I wrote back then:

Originally Posted by Thief
Although I have a feeling I saw this some time when I was a kid, I really don't remember, so it was pretty much like watching it for the first time. The film was solid, with Clint Eastwood playing the role of the cynical Detective Callahan perfectly. The film skips any twist or surprise regarding the identity of the killer, choosing to go for a cat-and-mouse approach instead, while making its point about crime and legal bureaucracy. I do think the film dragged a bit towards the end, but it was still a fun watch.
I haven't seen The Driver yet.

SEEN: 12/22
MY BALLOT: 3/25

My ballot  

I like Dirty Harry, but I don't think it came up in the existing Neo Noir lists I looked at, or maybe I just overlooked it, and it didn't come to mind when making my ballot. I don't know if I would have voted for it if I had thought of it, though.

A system of cells interlinked
Watched Dirty Harry again on the run up, along with another Eastwood noir picture. Dirty Harry just missed my ballot. I've not seen the other entry for today.

Seen: 15/22

Dirty Harry blasted a .44 size spot on my ballot at #4. To say it's essential Eastwood would be a .44 size understatement.

The Driver I watched years back and remember a little about, a revisit someday.

I am a huge Eastwood fan, but for me the only one of the Harry Callahan pictures that really leans into the Noir tropes is Sudden Impact (which is the only one of the five he directed himself) and the decidedly non-Callahan Tightrope (which he shadow-directed, uncredited).

But, to each their own.

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... DIRTY HARRY

RT – 89%, IMDb – 7.7

Roger Ebert said:

"Dirty Harry is very effective at the level of a thriller. At another level, it uses the most potent star presence in American movies -- Clint Eastwood -- to lay things on the line. If there aren't mentalities like Dirty Harry's at loose in the land, then the movie is irrelevant. If there are, we should not blame the bearer of the bad news." (read full review here)
Brynn Artley, of POV Winona, said:

"Dirty Harry establishes itself as a neo-noir by representing a period of change where 1970’s audiences reveled in the masculine ideals of film noirs past, all the while knowing that the times were changing, and these ideals could not last." (read full review here)
@JayDee said:

"A thrilling, searing piece of action. A truly great cop movie, well deserving of its iconic status. A film that set the benchmark and template for so many action films to follow, particularly in the 80s with the arrival of Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Seagal, etc." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... THE DRIVER

RT – 79%, IMDb – 7.1

Roger Ebert said:

"[The Driver is] a movie about people who are not real because they are symbols, and it's a damned good thing there are great chase scenes or the movie would sink altogether [...] Now all of this could have been nice and juicy if Walter Hill had done a few more things with his screenplay, such as made the characters into people. We can tell he didn't want to do that, because of the visual style he uses." (read full review here)
William Carroll, of Little White Lies, said:

"Hill’s film effectively shaped the genre where noir meets car, and turned the cinematic car-chase into the ultimate art form. With an iconic turn from Ryan O’Neal, pursued by a corrupt and arrogant Bruce Dern, Walter Hill’s The Driver bundled the tired trends of film noir into the trunk of a Ford Galaxie 500 and headed straight for the highway – leaving formulaic crime and exaggerated cinema in a perpetual dust cloud." (read full review here)
@thracian dawg said:

"The Driver is existential theatre at it's best, disguised as an action film. You've heard of the man with no name, how about an entire movie cast without any names? No one has an identity beyond vague generalities." (read full review here)

Speaking of our recent Neo-noir Hall of Fame, Red Rock West was my pick for it. Pretty cool film (you can read my review here) that barely squeaked into my ballot.
It went past me that I *did* had Red Rock West on my ballot at #18, so there's that. I've had three so far.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Back in business...

#79. The Driver (1978) is my #4 for 22 of its 47 pts.

This was a huge movie for us back in the days. It was a regular in the theatres around here for several years in the early to mid eighties. I've seen it at least three times then, plus numerous more on the TV, followed by a couple more revisions in the post-2000 period, last view a year ago.
Flawless story, great cinematography, superb cast: Ryan O'Neal, Bruce Dern, Isabelle Adjani...
A real textbook for cinema.

R.I.P. Ryan O'Neal

97/100

-----

My Ballot

4. The Driver (1978) [#79]
6. Red Rock West (1993) [#88]
7. The Hot Spot (1990) [#85]
8. Shallow Grave (1994) [#95]
14. Purple Noon (1960) [#94]

-----

My Near Misses: