What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Honeydripper (2007 - John Sayles)

Set in 1950 Alabama, John Sayles' latest is a fine crowd-pleasing piece that much like the title club sadly isn't drawing any crowds. Danny Glover stars as Tyrone Purvis, "Pinetop" to his friends. He's a good Blues piano player who has given up the road for a little piece of something he can call his own, a small club for Black folks outside of a spot on the map called Harmony, Alabama. As the film opens he's close to losing it. The rival juke joint across the way doesn't even bother with live music, and even though he has aging traditional Blues queen Bertha Mae (played by real-life R&B singer Mable John) as his regular headliner, the young people would rather hear the newer kind of Blues cranking from his rival's jukebox. Pinetop has exhausted his credit for liquor and everything else, and unless he can clear a few hundred dollars this upcoming weekend he'll lose his lease as well. His best friend Maceo (Charles S. Dutton), his wife Delilah (Lisa Gay Hamilton) and step daughter China Doll (Yaya DaCosta) are all there to help, but the chances of business survival are looking slim. Pinetop has a last gasp solution; he's sent his last fifty dollars to the manager and promised three times as much to a popular rising radio star from New Orleans, an electric guitar player known as Guitar Sam. Maybe, just maybe, one great Saturday night with Guitar Sam as the attraction will bring in enough money to hold everybody off for another week or month?

Pinetop also has to contend with a gangster's muscle (Tom Wright) sent to collect the rent money due bright and early Sunday morning and the local Sheriff (Stacy Keach) who is tired of Pinetop's independence and being about the last business, certainly the last Black-owned business, that doesn't grease his palm for the privilege of not being shut down. Also new in town is a young wanna-be guitar player named Sonny (present day Austin Blues sensation Gary Clark, Jr.) who is wandering from backwater town to backwater town trying to get his first break if he doesn't land in jail for vagrancy first.

Not much of what transpires in Honeydripper plot-wise will be much of a surprise, including the big Saturday night show and the new star that emerges to save the day, but the characters and the world Sayles and company create are such a joy to behold it hardly matters. Glover has his best lead role in over a decade and the entire cast is perfect. I particularly loved Keb' Mo' as a sort of Blind Boy Williamson meets Jimminy Cricket and Vondie Curtis-Hall as Bertha Mae's husband, but there isn't a false note in the company from the lead roles to the smallest supporting players. Sayles doesn't fill the story with nearly as many subplots this time as his pieces often have, and it examines some of the same themes from Lone Star in a more simple and gentle way, but for the pure enjoyment factor this one had me all the way, an American Myth created by a great cinematic storyteller. I'd compare it to Robert Altman's Southern comedy Cookie's Fortune in that regard (and not just because both feature Roc Dutton), because while neither film is among the most complete or complex of their careers you just can't deny how much fun they are. I just love Sayles' sensibilty and his writing. The lament Pinetop has about the apocryphal Slave who must have been the first Black piano player, that alone is worth the price of admission for me. Sayles' lowkey sense of humor always cracks me up too, as when Sonny rolls off of the box car and enthusiastically decides a town called Harmony is the perfect place for a young musician to have stumbled upon and the Black station attendant tells him, "The only night I ever spent in jail was in a town called Liberty. When the sun rises tomorrow, you'll see where you've landed." Great stuff. That none of the songs John Sayles co-wrote for the film, including "China Doll" and "Music Keeps Rollin' On", were nominated for Best Original Song is a damn shame. I wish the public at large would find Honeydripper, but like just about every John Sayles movie it is destined to be loved rabidly by a relatively small number of people. We're the lucky ones.

GRADE: B+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Movie Forums Extra
Haha it's been so long! I don't even remember!

Juno - and it sucked.

Why? Read my post at "movie reviews" - "Juno".

Take care everyone!

Mattt

I think Will Smith's I am Legend..

cloverfield. . . not bad

Cloverfield

Put me in your pocket...

Genius Party.
A collection of seven anime short films that made their U.S. premeires this weekend. The animation was done by Studio4ºC and it’s executive producer brought the directors together with a goal of creating their dream projects. The coolest part of the evening was listening to director Shinichiro Watanabe speak about the films and about his own piece. T’was a real treat for me.

Genius Party~
by Atsuko Fukushima (Akira--original drawing; Robot Carnival--drawing director)
I think it was suppose to be bout the birth of an image or imagination. I liked the artwork alot and it was just long enough.

Shanghai Dragon
by Shoji Kawamori (Macross--director, mechanical designer; Ghost in a Shell--mechanical designer)
A story about a boy, picked on by bullies for his imaginative drawing, who discovers a mystical saber that fell to earth. Two seperate ‘beings’ (one mechanical with lots of robots and a huge space ship and the other android like are after the saber and consequently the boy. The piece combines fantasy, sci-fi, mecha, action and silly cuteness very well. I liked it alot. My second favorite out of all of them

Deathtic 4
by Shinji Kimura (Project A--art director; Steamboy--art director)
I liked this weird comedy of four zombie like creatures that have to return a live frog back to the world of the living before the zombie police catch them. A little strange and a little Tim Burtonish. Loved the artwork.

Doorbell by Yoji Fukuyama
Not too sure about this one...not crazy about it ...kind of boring. It seemed as it a man other hald was chasing himself. I think? The artwork was ehhh. Not bad but not that interesting either.

Limit Cycle
by Hideki Futamura(Perfect Blue--animator; The Animatrix: segments The Second Renaissance I & II--animation director, design)
My least favorite. I’m sure the individual cells are gorgeous as a stand alone piece of artwork...but this was too much of everythng. The images flashed so fast, and were so complicated I could feel one of my eye strain headaches coming on. And the droaning monotone monologue about...I dunno...Gods grace?..balancing good and evil? the life cycle?. Too many concepts thrown at the screen I had to close my eyes at one point and I was glad when it was done.

Happy Machine by Masaaki Yuasa (Mind game--director)
It was ok. A baby wakes in a space ship type vessel and wanders out into a fantasy world. By the end I wasn't sure what the message was. His journey was a little bizzare (as were the creatures) and the ending left me clueless.

Baby Blue
by Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop--director; Samurai Champloo--director; Macross Plus--co-director)
I LOVED this one! T’was my favorite of the bunch! A Bittersweet story of two old childhood friends who spend one day re-kindling their friendship. My eyes were misty by the end. Great story telling combined with beautiful artwork...and the music matched perfecty. This I would see again in a heartbeat. Great stuff.

i am legend

Just came back from watching the new RAMBO. Man was it excellent (from an non-stop-action fan). I give it a 9/10 - The justification here is that, although short, it did entertain me all the way from start to finish with gore, excellent action, sly power and the kicker: not much useless talk. Some I've spoken to were disappointed with the story/plot - what have you... I found no problems with it and neither did my lady friend who usually picks on movies with neglected plots. You be the judge but in my opinion a must watch for anyone who appreciates action.