Movie Tab II

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Good Night and Good Luck (Clooney, 2005) - Interesting insights into the state of the nation at the time. We need a guy like Murrow, now...

Pitch Black
(Tohey, 1999) - A friend hadn't seen this, and saw the DVD on our table. He wanted to compare it to Chronicles of Riddick. Needless to say, he liked PB more, as Riddick is pretty shabby... Hell, PB is just average, but it is at least fun to watch...

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Sedai
Good Night and Good Luck (Clooney, 2005) - Interesting insights into the state of the nation at the time. We need a guy like Murrow, now...
I think it also provides some interesting (and not altogether inappropriate) insights into the state of television today. It more than speaks out against all the cheap, shallow programming that sponsors favor, and it criticizes the networks for - as Murrow really did warn against - caving to the whims of those sponsors. I love how it frames this moment in time when networks, sponsors, and newsmen were not afraid to rally together; speak the honest, unbiased truth to millions; and actually incite a change. "This weapon of television could be useful," Murrow proclaims. Indeed it was, and he believed very strongly in its capacity to mass educate. But he was afraid it would be squandered, and it's very sad to look around and realize that - by and large - it has been.

Crash (Haggis, 2004) - More than just an extended after-school special, this one hit many of the right buttons for me. While I was somewhat annoyed at first that the writing was asking all the racism questions from the very beginning, I quickly realized that if you're going to make a film about racism, you might as well go right at it. What makes this film most impressive to me is the well-crafted characters - they're not exactly deep or complex, but they're certainly not flat. They seem a little contrived, but it's all good when the film pays you off. Matt Dillon comes off as a racist prick, but once you get a look into his world, you suddenly realize that this is a real guy who's life has led him to this point. People aren't just born racist or bad or evil: they become that way through external and internal factors. The scene in which he pulls Thandie Newton from the car: it had me in tears. It was just so right.

There are just so many scenes where you see the characters come down to the level, and either succeed or fail. The whole film is really just a series of personal vignettes that seem to say, "This is how it is for us. How is it for you?" Excellent (and I mean excellent) performances all around, particularly Terence Howard, Matt Dillon, Thandie Newton, Don Cheadle, Sandra Bullock, Michael Pena, and Shaun Toub. Rarely does a film put you closer to happiness and heartbreak.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Sleezy
I think it also provides some interesting (and not altogether inappropriate) insights into the state of television today. It more than speaks out against all the cheap, shallow programming that sponsors favor, and it criticizes the networks for - as Murrow really did warn against - caving to the whims of those sponsors. I love how it frames this moment in time when networks, sponsors, and newsmen were not afraid to rally together; speak the honest, unbiased truth to millions; and actually incite a change. "This weapon of television could be useful," Murrow proclaims. Indeed it was, and he believed very strongly in its capacity to mass educate. But he was afraid it would be squandered, and it's very sad to look around and realize that - by and large - it has been.

Crash (Haggis, 2004) - More than just an extended after-school special, this one hit many of the right buttons for me. While I was somewhat annoyed at first that the writing was asking all the racism questions from the very beginning, I quickly realized that if you're going to make a film about racism, you might as well go right at it. What makes this film most impressive to me is the well-crafted characters - they're not exactly deep or complex, but they're certainly not flat. They seem a little contrived, but it's all good when the film pays you off. Matt Dillon comes off as a racist prick, but once you get a look into his world, you suddenly realize that this is a real guy who's life has led him to this point. People aren't just born racist or bad or evil: they become that way through external and internal factors. The scene in which he pulls Thandie Newton from the car: it had me in tears. It was just so right.

There are just so many scenes where you see the characters come down to the level, and either succeed or fail. The whole film is really just a series of personal vignettes that seem to say, "This is how it is for us. How is it for you?" Excellent (and I mean excellent) performances all around, particularly Terence Howard, Matt Dillon, Thandie Newton, Don Cheadle, Sandra Bullock, Michael Pena, and Shaun Toub. Rarely does a film put you closer to happiness and heartbreak.
Weird, I had included some words about the TV thing and how right this guy was about it. Somehow, it didn't make it into my post. I must have erased it by accident. I basically went on about how chilling a lot of his words were, because of the now confirmed accuracy of his statements. I found those sections to be unsettling, big time. It was clearly a huge part of the film, as they open and close with the same statement. I agree, wholeheartedly...

[EDIT] - HA! It appears I somehow pasted the content into an IM instead of my post while I was rearranging things. My collegue I had IMed was like "WTF is all this?"

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
The Journey - i quite liked it, but the ending was a bit weird...and unexplainable, and sometimes while that works this time it annoyed the crap out of me. 3.5/5

stranger then a drunken mime
Originally Posted by adidasss
i've also seen The Passion again, i think it's an amazing film, the music, the cinematography, the acting...everything is perfect, not to mention the big plus for using the original languages. the only quabble i had was the unnecessary inclusion of the devil in the form of that woman.

Wasn't it a guy that just looked very feminane... Satan being the most beautiful being?

Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind - 5/5

I really enjoyed this movie, very weird though. Great story on trying to hold on to loving memories. Probably my favorite movie of 2004. Jim Carrey played the serious role very well, and should continue.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Sedai
[EDIT] - HA! It appears I somehow pasted the content into an IM instead of my post while I was rearranging things. My collegue I had IMed was like "WTF is all this?"
I love it when that happens!

Originally Posted by Symphony
Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind - 4.5/5

I really enjoyed this movie, very weird though. Great story on trying to hold on to loving memories. Probably my favorite movie of 2004. Jim Carrey played the serious role very well, and should continue.
What made it a 4.5, might I ask? I'd grade it a solid 5/5, for sure.

Your right.. Im to picky, this one for sure deserves it :P I just got lost a few times in the movie (watched it at 4a.m).

there's a frog in my snake oil
Collateral

Liked the well-evoked night-time set-up, and the acting was all very passable, even if the plot creaked a bit too often. Hey ho, it's only an action flick after all

You ready? You look ready.
Inside Man- Quite good. I enjoyed it very much, indeed.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Bad Boys - 4.5/5

Another one of Sean Penn's classics. Very good movie, kind of reminded me a bit off the longest yard and shawshank redemption.

You ready? You look ready.
The Rock- So much fun. From my early days that is. I don't love it as much as I use to. I use to worship the movie more then I do Die Hard.

history *is* moralizing
Fever Pitch, not a typical Farrelli movie though

I am having a nervous breakdance
Primer (2004 - Shane Carruth)

It began promising, but my interest was lost somewhere along the way. The dialogue which, I guess, was meant to sound like smart guys saying stuff that sounds like greek to ordinary mortals sounded a bit too much as a dialogue written to sound like smart guys saying stuff that sounds like greek to ordinary mortals. Rubbish. And it felt as it was deliberately unfocused in terms of narrative; a bit too unfocused for its own good.

I understand this is Carruth's first film and with that in mind I would have to say that it's still a promising debut with some very good ideas.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.. entertaining and yet fairly offensive.
Ah that perfect balance.....

Being John Malkovich - 5/5

Yet another very weird movie. But I love John Malkovich as an actor, and this was I think his best movie yet. i came in with low expectations of the movie, but that changed fast.