Iron Man

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

I'm not sure what to add to the discussion. My wife, who's a pilot, loved all the flying scenes, but her fave parts were when he was testing the suit and it was flying him into walls and ceilings. I thought the pacing was pretty good, although it could have probably been cropped a max of five minutes, so that's insignificant to me. It's always nice to see Stan Winston's name in the credits. The humor was welcome, and the chemistry between Tony Stark and Pepper Potts was pretty humid there. Hopefully, it can get even hotter in the next one. Jeff Bridges without wavy hair was a trip too. He almost looked like Daddy Warbucks with a beard. There are plenty of other things to say, but for now, I'll just bow out with my rating:

Jeff Bridges without wavy hair was a trip too. He almost looked like Daddy Warbucks with a beard.
Did they do something to make his head/face bigger. His chin alone was bigger than Jay Leno's face.

Seriously loved this movie though...great flick.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Nice review, Yoda.

Well, that was one fun film. I've been a fan of Downey for a while (ever since he played Chaplin) and it was pretty neat to see him suited so well for a role such as this. He really was perfect. And when has Bridges played a villian?

During the film, I kept thinking the voice of his computer, Jarvis, was familiar. It was Paul Bettany!

My son and I both enjoyed it, and we thought the bit with Stark's cell phone ringing was pretty funny. I also thought the dialogue in the opening scene in the jeep was hysterical. Nicely done.

Dachshunds Fear Me
Great review, Yoda!

What a terrific movie. Everything a summer movie should be, and a whole lot more. Enjoyed it from beginning to end.

I agree, Tramp - the dialogue in the opening Jeep scene was just sparkling, and I have a funny feeling a lot of it was Downey riffing. Major, major love for Downey; I've always been a fan, and it broke my heart when he was having his problems. But he is back in a big way, and I'm going to go out on a limb and put him on my short list for an Best Actor Oscar nod - yes, for IRON MAN. It was a masterful performance, mixing sarcasm, swagger, and sweetness in equal measure. "Oh, yeah...I can fly," indeed!!

George: Arthur.

Agree with everyone. Not having read the comic, I thought the storyline held up fine for non readers. I hear from my comic book friends that Tony Stark is an alcoholic, maybe Hollywood didn't want the darkness of alcoholism in a 12 cert film, you know we can't have any real life human traits in films children may see these days, even the one cigar in the film was shorthand for big evil bastard.

RDJ is great, although a little like Johnny Depp he is always to some extent himself. The interviews I've seen with him he is a little fey, a little effeminate ( is it just me that thinks that? ) in a really charming way. He's just the sort of guy that is very attractive to women. When he's in the right film there's no imagining the role belongs to anyone else.

I was a little apprehensive before I seen it, remembering Daredevil and The HULK. I just want to say that I loved it, I think it is seriously one of the best movies of it's genere. I always liked IronMan, it was the first superhero that got me into comic books. I like how he's like Bruce Wayne, but with personality, and plus the armor seemed more powerful and realistic for someone who didn't have superpowers than just a cape and mask. This movie done what most superhero films claim to do, but don't really deliver, it made the characters relateable. The main character actually does go through a major resolution in the film, realizing his own sins and wantring to rid the world of them, very humanistic themes. Well, there's my thoughts...CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THE SEQUEL!

Teeny niggle that the head of an arms company would have a volte face at seeing his company's arms in Afghanistan on the wrong side, I mean come on, that's the way arms dealers work , selling to both sides. However seeing as it's a superhero comic it didn't spoil the film at all for me and I suppose the fact that he experianced it with his own eyes made the difference. If only it were real life

I am burdened with glorious purpose
But he is back in a big way, and I'm going to go out on a limb and put him on my short list for an Best Actor Oscar nod - yes, for IRON MAN. It was a masterful performance, mixing sarcasm, swagger, and sweetness in equal measure. "Oh, yeah...I can fly," indeed!!
You said that about Johnny Depp for Pirates of the Caribbean.

Oh, wait....

(I think RDJ has a chance, too)

Damn! Still #1!
Speed racer opened at third?
I wasn't really a big fan of Speed racer, but I'm still surprised.

...uh the post is up there...

I'm not surprised that this beat out Speed Racer at all! I thought Speed might have some potential... but looking at the poster made me dizzy. RDJ did a great job as Tony Stark. He was much better than I thought he would be... was right on for the part.

Bring on #2!

Agree with everyone. Not having read the comic, I thought the storyline held up fine for non readers. I hear from my comic book friends that Tony Stark is an alcoholic, maybe Hollywood didn't want the darkness of alcoholism in a 12 cert film, you know we can't have any real life human traits in films children may see these days, even the one cigar in the film was shorthand for big evil bastard.
They may have left out the alcoholic dark side so to speak but he seemed pretty drunk 24/7 to me with the way he just did whatever he wanted haha

Jeez... I thought Iron Man came out at the end of May, not the beginning of May.

Well, I finally saw it today (by myself, since everyone else wanted to see a certain Angelina Jolie movie...) and I liked it a lot. I did, however, think that the villian kinda sucked and the ending wasn't so great. But very good performance by Robert Downey Jr.

Movie Forums Extra
It is good movie. I want to see it again.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im really looking forward to seeing this film, it looks awsome and the reviews ive read make it even more a film that ill watch.