Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

That trailer deserves an Oscar.

Blade
(1998)
4/5

Don't care what anyone says.. its still one of the better comic movies..

It definitely is.

Unregistered User

Factotum (2005)

Solid adaptation of Bukowski novel with Matt Dillon a great choice to play character Henry Chinaski. If you know anything about Bukowski then you'll know what you are getting yourself into. Not as harsh as Schroeder's Barfly but still contains a level of grittiness. Lili Taylor and Marisa Tomei both strong additions.

Welcome to the human race...
Men in Black -

Good movie, shame they never made any sequels though.

2 cops, suspended for police brutality, decide to rob some robbers. Really liked it but I can understand why some folks might hate it. It's a bit long and if Zahlers dialogue doesn't grab you could be in for a long night.

Incident by a Bank

Great little short film about a bank robbery. One stationary camera and one very long take. It's a pretty impressive how well choreographed this is.

Quality Street (Sidney Franklin, 1927)

Lighthearted romantic drama that's sweet in places but mainly in vain

1st Re-watch...Director/choreographer Rob Marshall definitely gets an "A" for effort for taking on a seemingly impossible task of bringing this ambitious Broadway musical to the screen. This musical version of the Fellini classic 8 1/2 was a Broadway smash and just like Marshall's previous triumph Chicago, probably should have stayed onstage. Marshall legitimized the theatricality of Chicago by making the entire story Roxie's dream, but there is no attempt at legitimizing the theatricality of the piece here. This story of a famed film director named Guido Contini beginning his new film without a script and examining his life through the various females in his life is brought to the screen with its theatrical origins intact which makes the movie look like a photographed play that never quite gels as a movie. Aided by lavish visual trappings and some serious star power, Marshall brings musical theater to the screen with no attempt to make it a true movie musical. The cast does provide some genuine entertainment...Judi Dench is superb as Guido's costume designer as is her number "Folies Bergere" and Marian Cotillard is superb as Guido's wife, commanding the screen with her song"My Husband makes Movies" and Penelope Cruz' Oscar-nominated performance as Guido's clingy mistress is wonderful...this is the first time I've experienced Penelope Cruz onscreen and didn't want to drive a big ol' spike through her forehead. Marshall's Fosse-influenced choreography is a bug plus as well, but this movie is really for lovers of theater, not movie musicals.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Strive (Robert Rippberger, 2019): Danny Glover is the only major name and has an extended cameo as a high school guidance counselor, who is the only one to help a young woman live her dream to attend Yale when she constantly has problems with her family and relationships. A great performance by lead star Joi Starr definitely drives this indie drama.

Factotum (2005) Solid adaptation of Bukowski novel with Matt Dillon a great choice to play character Henry Chinaski. If you know anything about Bukowski then you'll know what you are getting yourself into. Not as harsh as Schroeder's Barfly but still contains a level of grittiness. Lili Taylor and Marisa Tomei both strong additions.

I thought Schroeder's Barfly was wonderfully poetic and romanticized. If you are going for grit, I think you need to watch Ferreri’s Tales of Ordinary Madness.

I'm harming nobody, just robbing a few graves.
Climax. 2/10. I think I hated it... I did not find the technique or dancing very impressive, I didn't find the movie entertaining, or engaging in any way, I was mostly bothered or bored by it. I think I just prefer movies with story, characters, structure, development. Opening shot was amazing though.

You ready? You look ready.
Dragged Across Concrete -

Heavy hitting, and I think that is its weakness. It seems as if this was purposefully done in the writing, and I cannot tell if it adds anything to the experience. Vince Vaughn is a standout:

“Anchovies.”
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Geschlecht in Fesseln [Sex In Chains] (William Dieterle, 1928)

A watch that is absolutely full of frustration