Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Jules (2023)

Gideon recommended this film several days ago, which compelled me to look it up for a watch. It’s been quite a little while since I’ve been so charmed by a movie! The picture stars the great Ben Kingsley, the veteran Harriet Samson Harris, and Jane Curtain.

Milton (Kingsley) is an old widower who lives alone in a nice vintage home in an old suburban New Jersey area. He’s content with his solitude, but does frequently find things that he feels need done in his town, of which he routinely brings up in the public comment portion of the city council meetings. He tends to harp on the same issues, and the council accepts him as a well meaning but slightly kooky 79 year old. Similarly Sandy (Harris), an old lady who uses a more sugary approach, typically brings up projects that would benefit the community.

One night Milton is awakened by the sound of an object crashing into his back yard azalea patch. He shrugs it off, but the next day he is shocked to see that a medium sized flying saucer has crashed partly imbedded in the ground. Still later he discovers a small alien who had crawled out of the wreck and is laying unconscious on the ground. He immediately calls the authorities to report the incident, but he is brushed off as a delusional senior. He likewise mentions it at a city council meeting, but they too believe he’s just being senile. Meanwhile Milton takes the small alien into his home and feeds it with water and apples. The alien recovers and is content to perch on the couch, never uttering a sound.

Along the way Milton meets Sandy, who offers to drive him home from a meeting. Milton invites her in to his house, where Sandy is utterly shocked to see the strange small human-like alien sitting there. Sandy is gradually taken into confidence, and she too accepts the situation and starts to fuss over the alien. Another citizen, Joyce (Curtain), noses around, and is eventually brought into their tight circle, where they aim to keep the ship and alien a secret.

That forms the basis for the rest of the story. There are a couple of close calls with a government agency as with Milton’s overly protective daughter, while the suspense and twists keep us glued to the action up to its satisfying if slightly mystifying end.

Kingsley shows in spades why he is one of the very elite actors of the 20th/21st Centuries. His manor, his mid American accent, his expressions make one feel like they’re watching the real guy in life. One would hope he’s considered at awards time. So too does Harris wow us with her personality and technique. I haven’t previously seen much of her career (she’s done much stage work), but I’ll certainly be looking for her in future. Curtain’s character’s writing was a little hit and miss, but she too brings in her role in a journeyman’s fashion.

Sci-Fi comedy is one of the trickiest style of movies to be convincing. They tend to be either too goofy or painfully unrealistic. Jules checks all the boxes. If one wants to see how that’s done, this picture is on the very top of the heap to experience.

Doc’s rating: 10/10

So glad you enjoyed this movie as much as I did and yes, I would love to see Kingsley get some award love for it, Harris as well.

Umpteenth Rewatch...This 1962 Best Picture nominee is one of the strongest stage to screen adaptations of a musical ever and a lot of credit has to go to Frank Sinatra, who had the good sense to turn down the role of Harold Hill when it was offered to him, so that the iconic Robert Preston could reprise his Tony-Award winning role as a charismatic con man who convinces a small town that they need a boys band. Preston lights up the screen and is well matched by the enchanting Shirley Jones as Marian Paroo, the local librarian who initially wants to expose him. Paul Ford, Hermione Gingold, and Buddy Hackett shine in supporting roles and you can't beat that Meredith Wilson Score. There is also some spectacular choreogrphy by Onna White (the "Marian the Librarian" number is brilliant). Sixty-one years after its release, this movie is just as entertaining now as it was then.

Umpteenth Rewatch...This 1962 Best Picture nominee is one of the strongest stage to screen adaptations of a musical ever and a lot of credit has to go to Frank Sinatra, who had the good sense to turn down the role of Harold Hill when it was offered to him, so that the iconic Robert Preston could reprise his Tony-Award winning role as a charismatic con man who convinces a small town that they need a boys band. Preston lights up the screen and is well matched by the enchanting Shirley Jones as Marian Paroo, the local librarian who initially wants to expose him. Paul Ford, Hermione Gingold, and Buddy Hackett shine in supporting roles and you can't beat that Meredith Wilson Score. There is also some spectacular choreogrphy by Onna White (the "Marian the Librarian" number is brilliant). Sixty-one years after its release, this movie is just as entertaining now as it was then.
That one would rank pretty high amongst my favorite musicals.

I forgot the opening line.

By IMP Awards / 2021 Movie Poster Gallery / Pig Poster (#2 of 2), Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=67976654

Pig - (2021)

Spoilerish - about a film that's great to see blind

Pig is something like a modern day action movie with absolutely no action in it - and I mean that as a compliment of the highest order, because character Rob Feld (Nicolas Cage) sorts out his problems in this without resorting to violence. That's a welcome change. That's not to say violence isn't inflicted on him - it is - but imagine my surprise when, as I'm thinking "Oh that villain! - Kick his posterior Rob!" Rob instead cooks him a nice meal. That might not make sense to those who haven't seen the film - but it will if you do. Rob has his beloved truffle-hunting pig stolen from him, and if that doesn't immediately break your heart you probably aren't a pet person. It forces Rob to return from self-imposed exile in the wilderness with buyer Amir (Alex Wolff), and revisit his past in the city. When the movie ended I felt really satisfied with the journey - both main characters are fully fleshed out, and the film as a whole has this modern-day undercurrent of dissatisfaction with our shallow, pretentious dog-eat-dog, or pig-eat-pig, lives. A great film about love and loss, with an extra-special performance from Cage who shows he can play meditative as well as crazy.

8/10

By Impawards.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7707150

The Holiday - (2006)

I don't watch a heap of romantic comedies (and look, I could probably just call this a romance film, because it doesn't have any more or less comedy in it than the average drama) but when I do the measure of how good it was can actually be scientifically measured by how many times I check to see how much running time is left. I only checked around four times with The Holiday - so it did have it's good points. Every actor in this gives 110%, so as far as Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law and Jack Black are concerned - full marks. Overall - I think more attention could have been paid to how characters Iris (Winslet) and Amanda (Diaz) overcome the long distance problems their new 'on holiday' loves have provided them, but the film is already a little on the long side. I don't have too many complaints, other than the fact that there's no sexual chemistry on display - no "can hardly keep these two apart" physicality there. Iris and Amanda are really complete characters though, and the film as a whole, once it gets going, is okay and very watchable. Nice to see an actor like Black play against type in a romance.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I forgot the opening line.
2nd Rewatch...Quentin Tarantino put himself on the map with this relentlessly bloody thriller about the robbery of a jewelry store that goes horribly wrong but the viewer witnesses everything but the crime itself. We meet the players, are introduced to the bloody aftermath of what happened and then get backstory on how these criminal misfits get together. Love Michael Madsen's torture of the cop, Tim Roth's memorization of the story to tell in order to get the job and everything that happens with Roth and Keitel. And Steve Buscemi's explosive performance is probably the best of his career. LOVE that opening scene too where the guys are having breakfast because it offers no clue as to what is about to go down. Tarantino changed the art of cinematic storytelling forever with this one.
Reservoir Dogs is up in my Top 10 as far as favourite films are concerned. If I were a filmmaker, this is the film I would have liked to have made.

1st Rewatch...This mesmerizing psychological thriller is my favorite Francis Ford Coppola film and it features my favorite Gene Hackman performance. Sandwiched between his two Godfather epics, Coppola triumphs with this sizzling suspense thriller about a surveillance expert who has let his work become his life and suffers a crisis of conscience regarding his latest assignment. This film lets the viewer into a world we know so little about through one of cinema's most enigmatic characters, beautifully brought to life by Gene Hackman. I love this character because even though he never displays a shred of anything resembling ego. he is the best at what he does and knowing this is his entire reason for living. Love that scene at the party in the office where the obnoxious Allen Garfield character is trying to get him to spill the beans about his work and trying to persuade him to partner with him at the same time. And the final five minutes of this film are absolutely bone-chilling. Hackman should have won his second Oscar for this performance and wasn't even nominated. A classic that I enjoyed more the second time than the first.
And The Conversation is Top 25/50, one of the all-time greats.

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Classic.

I remember this on Betamax and the Yoda scenes, brings it all into focus again. Funny how things like this reactivate old memories.

10/10

Three very good movies.

HALLOWEEN ENDS
(2022, Green)

"You're just a man in a Halloween mask. What are you gonna do now?"

That new shape is kind of what Green presents in this film, as he introduces Corey Cunningham (Rohan Campbell), a nerdy teen that is dealing with his own traumas and inner demons. Meanwhile, Laurie (Jamie Lee Curtis) is trying to rebuild her life along with her granddaughter Allyson (Andi Matichak) after the events from Michael Myers' last killing spree.

I applaud Green and Co. for having a defined vision and story arc, and sticking to it. That doesn't mean it was well executed all the way, or make it any less muddled, but I have more respect for that than for what had been done with the franchise before where every film seemed to reinvent the rules and sources of this evil, from evil corporations to Druid cults. Here, it's "just a man in a Halloween mask".

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

A GIRL ALONE IN A HOUSE
(2018, Jones)

"Johnnie Marat is dead. I killed him."

A Girl Alone in a House follows Charlotte (Kitzia Jimenez), a young woman still reeling from an attack some time before. When she's asked to house-sit for a friend during July 4th, Charlotte finds herself again alone in a house, haunted by the memories of the past attack and the possibilities of it reoccurring. But this time, she's more prepared.

Grade:

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

The Natural (1984) - Rewatch on 4K Blu-ray

Returning to a childhood favorite after some years of lapses in rewatches is always interesting. The Natural is no exception. It was every bit the film I remembered seeing for the first time at age 13 and somehow, even better as I picked up on nuances I missed all those years ago. It simply does everything right in terms of acting, storytelling, and musical scoring, and films seldom come more rewarding or emotionally satisfying than this one. In his review of the original 2010 Blu-ray, Martin Liebman of Blu-ray.com correctly called it "an incredible movie of the power of the human spirit and with an honest and important message that says that it's never too late to realize one's dreams as long as the motives are good and the intentions true" that "stands proudly as one of the finest sports films of all time," observing that, "like the best of its genre, it uses sport as but a backdrop for the deeper meaning to be found." As for the UHD, the film's never looked better than it does in Sony's 2160p presentation. Skin tones are natural throughout, the green of the ballpark's grass pops, and detail is stunning to the point that in several shots, you can see every detail of the actors' faces. The Dolby Atmos track is also a juggernaut, with the spoken word generally clear, every ball hit and lightning strike—not to mention a couple of gunshots—as resonant and attention-grabbing as the real thing, and Randy Newman's score as rousing as it ever was. All in all, both the film and the UHD score a home run, and I'll certainly be returning to this one many more times in the future.

WARPAINT
(2020, Jones)

"If you can't remember who you hurt, you'll never see us coming."

Warpaint follows a mysterious woman (Kitzia Jimenez) seeking revenge against a man that hurt her. There's something to be said about a 2-minute short that can carry so much inferred story into its short runtime. This is a perfect example of that since you pretty much know everything you need to know about both characters in those 2 minutes.

Grade:

By IMP Awards / 2021 Movie Poster Gallery / Pig Poster (#2 of 2), Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=67976654

Pig - (2021)

Pig is something like a modern day action movie with absolutely no action in it - and I mean that as a compliment of the highest order, because character Rob Feld (Nicolas Cage) sorts out his problems in this without resorting to violence. That's a welcome change. That's not to say violence isn't inflicted on him - it is - but imagine my surprise when, as I'm thinking "Oh that villain! - Kick his posterior Rob!" Rob instead cooks him a nice meal. That might not make sense to those who haven't seen the film - but it will if you do. Rob has his beloved truffle-hunting pig stolen from him, and if that doesn't immediately break your heart you probably aren't a pet person. It forces Rob to return from self-imposed exile in the wilderness with buyer Amir (Alex Wolff), and revisit his past in the city. When the movie ended I felt really satisfied with the journey - both main characters are fully fleshed out, and the film as a whole has this modern-day undercurrent of dissatisfaction with our shallow, pretentious dog-eat-dog, or pig-eat-pig, lives. A great film about love and loss, with an extra-special performance from Cage who shows he can play meditative as well as crazy.

8/10

By Impawards.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7707150

The Holiday - (2006)

I don't watch a heap of romantic comedies (and look, I could probably just call this a romance film, because it doesn't have any more or less comedy in it than the average drama) but when I do the measure of how good it was can actually be scientifically measured by how many times I check to see how much running time is left. I only checked around four times with The Holiday - so it did have it's good points. Every actor in this gives 110%, so as far as Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law and Jack Black are concerned - full marks. Overall - I think more attention could have been paid to how characters Iris (Winslet) and Amanda (Diaz) overcome the long distance problems their new 'on holiday' loves have provided them, but the film is already a little on the long side. I don't have too many complaints, other than the fact that there's no sexual chemistry on display - no "can hardly keep these two apart" physicality there. Iris and Amanda are really complete characters though, and the film as a whole, once it gets going, is okay and very watchable. Nice to see an actor like Black play against type in a romance.

6/10
Glad to see someone else enjoyed Pig. I liked The Holiday, even if Cameron Diaz' character was kind of all over the place.

Pig - (2021)

8/10
I thought Cage was great, and Wolff was quite good as well. (Took me a moment to realize "It's the kid from Hereditary!").

I had a feeling I knew where the film was headed, but it was so lovely and slow and thoughtful that I didn't care, and it still managed to land a few surprises.

Return of the Jedi (1983)

Classic.

Although less epic and grand than the other two, its the more intimate scenes with Lord Vader and the Emporer that make up for it. This closes the trilogy well and makes you regret that was the end.

10/10