Should posts on ignore be completely hidden?

Tools    

In this rash of new features/fixes I've beefed up the Ignore List a bit, mostly by making sure it applied to a few things I'd hacked up back in the day (like Post Comments). But that got me wondering: should it actually hide posts completely, instead of simply collapse them?

For those who don't know, when you have someone ignore and come across their posts, they look roughly like this:

But in pretty much every other way, it hides the thing completely. Like, with shouts, it simply doesn't display it; it doesn't show you a collapsed version, where it's easy to have a peek and have people on Ignore, but still look in and ultimately end up having to deal with whatever led to the decision to put them on Ignore in the first place.

So, the question is: should the Ignore List hide the posts completely, rather than simply collapse them?

EDIT: after a unanimous response, I've already implemented the change to hide the post entirely. But opinions agreeing or disagreeing with this decision are still welcome.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
In this rash of new features/fixes I've beefed up the Ignore List a bit, mostly by making sure it applied to a few things I'd hacked up back in the day (like Post Comments). But that got me wondering: should it actually hide posts completely, instead of simply collapse them?

For those who don't know, when you have someone ignore and come across their posts, they look roughly like this:

But in pretty much every other way, it hides the thing completely. Like, with shouts, it simply doesn't display it; it doesn't show you a collapsed version, where it's easy to have a peek and have people on Ignore, but still look in and ultimately end up having to deal with whatever led to the decision to put them on Ignore in the first place.

So, the question is: should the Ignore List hide the posts completely, rather than simply collapse them?
[Personally] I have no use for the "post ignored" thing to pop up in between a thread. If I put someone in Ignore, that person will be put indefinitely. If that person feels she has something to say towards me [when he/she knows was put on the Ignore list] it is obvious that someone who is not in my ignore list [such as an online buddy] will quote that person so I can see it [seen it happening already]. So, it's just useless noise.

Hahahaha, Yoda blocked honeykid!

To answer your question: completely hidden. But I struggle with temptation.

A revamped ignore list is just what we need.

It's already giving me a new thread idea -- Get on SEXY CELEBRITY'S Ignore User List!

I've never ignored someone but I'd be tempted to look if it looked like the first post. I'd say hide the whole thing. If someone's been bad enough to be on your ignore list then you shouldn't have to kinow they've posted something.

What if their reply is quoted tho? would you be able to see that?

A revamped ignore list is just what we need.

It's already giving me a new thread idea -- Get on SEXY CELEBRITY'S Ignore User List!
I just threw all of my Jake Gyllenhaal movies in the trash. Am I on the right track?

What if their reply is quoted tho? would you be able to see that?
It'd be tougher to hide that, but even putting the effort aside, we'd still have to decide whether to hide the entire post quoting it, or just have the reply floating there, seemingly replying to nothing, neither of which is great.

It'd be tougher to hide that, but even putting the effort aside, we'd still have to decide whether to hide the entire post quoting it, or just have the reply floating there, seemingly replying to nothing, neither of which is great.
yes, bit of a puzzler that one, unless you could make the quote blank with just the ignored persons name on it?

MC for the Great Underground Circus
I already put 3 on Ignore: two ex-IMDB ass-hats and an In-house idiotic instigator. Those 3 won't come out of the Ignore list ever, so I have no use to remember they even exist.

However, for you people not to think it's all random, a bit of a back story:

I'm not one to use Ignore features, I only did it twice on IMDB [2 stalkers that were following me around accusing me of being some sock account for someone who made them cry] when I much prefer to have some form of fun with trolls.

However, new house, new rules. And I despise attacks via subterfuge [I despise attacks of any shape or form, even less by someone who doesn't know me from nowhere; but if someone is to attack me, it better come out straight with a reason and wearing the balls in the right place, instead of half baked words and lousy attitude]. I'm not a patient person to self-righteous hypocrites. I'm respectful, candid and easy going till I'm greeted with sheer idiocy.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Makes no difference to me since I have no one on ignore.

Suspect's Reviews

How about going one step further and hiding threads created by those on an ignore list as well?

That's my two pence worth ... I only have a dime, please send change electronically - thank you!

Completely hidden. I never understood why forums in general allow you to see the ignored person's collapsed post. I rarely take people off my ignore list unless it's a special circumstance.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Hahahaha, Yoda blocked honeykid!

Poor honeykid

Doesnt bother me either way because if someone behaves in such a way for me to put them on ignore then I simply forget about them regardless of seeing a prompt that they posted, but I've seen people complain about this sort of thing on other forums over the years. Seems like a lot of work, though. No rest for the wicked, hey Yods. You must have done something really bad in your previous life to have to tinker around with stuff like this rather than watch fillums.

No rest for the wicked, hey Yods. You must have done something really bad in your previous life to have to tinker around with stuff like this rather than watch fillums.
It's ok - this all feeds into the screenplay he's writing and will sell for millions

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Makes no difference to me since I have no one on ignore.

You ready? You look ready.
Crazy thought: is it not possible to have this as a user controlled setting (i.e. we choose which one we prefer)?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

You must have done something really bad in your previous life to have to tinker around with stuff like this rather than watch fillums.
The irony of having to spend more time running a site about movies than watching them certainly isn't lost on me.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
It's ok - this all feeds into the screenplay he's writing and will sell for millions
What a scathingly brilliant idea. I knew he was up to something, but if he sells out to Amazon like the other place did I say we gang up with our pitchforks and tickle him until he pees his pants.

What a scathingly brilliant idea. I knew he was up to something, but if he sells out to Amazon like the other place did I say we gang up with our pitchforks and tickle him until he pees his pants.
But what if the anticipation makes him pee his pants before the tickling even starts .... what then?

yes, bit of a puzzler that one, unless you could make the quote blank with just the ignored persons name on it?
Crazy thought: is it not possible to have this as a user controlled setting (i.e. we choose which one we prefer)?
Answer to both is yes, though both take more work than just hiding them outright (particularly the former). But my inclination is towards something easier and cleaner (conceptually). I'm thinking the very idea of an Ignore List is at odds with making it too easy to circumvent.