Loss of Innocence
King of Kings
Surogat
The Deadly Companions
Come September
The Comancheros
Bridge to the Sun
The Absent Minded Professor

I was, and still am, a huge fan of The Hustler (1961). My commentary from a few years back:

The Hustler was a life changing film for me. As an impressionable 17-year-old who fancied himself a budding pool hustler, I first saw the film upon its release in 1961. The effect that the experience had on me was monumental, and it's still possible to recall a shadow feel of it's emotional impact.

It's subject matter was unusual for its day, and was a seminal film in many ways. There had been movies about golfers, baseball players, tennis players, etc.; but never a film about a seedy pool hustler. The public was not even aware that this type of activity existed. It was based on the 1959 book of the same name by Walter Tevis, himself a pool devotee. The excellent screenplay by Sidney Carroll was fairly faithful to the novel, with a major exception regarding the denouement of Fast Eddie's girlfriend, Sarah. There was fine direction by Robert Rosen who was also a frequent customer of the New York pool rooms, and was aware of Gleason's above average abilities with the pool cue. Rosen was able to guide the production into a sense of authenticity.

The acting couldn't have been any better. It's as if everyone was born to play their respective parts. George C. Scott carried on his cut-throat, abrasive, dominant character acting that was introduced two years earlier in
Anatomy of a Murder. Piper Laurie was perfect as the crippled alcoholic intellectual who was trying to find herself. Jackie Gleason fit his role perfectly with class and style. Paul Newman stated that he had over-acted his part, and in hindsight would have liked to tone it down a little. But that type of performance is always appreciated and remembered by the public.

Newman established himself as an expert at playing handsome, devilish rogues, which he was to hone in many more pictures, most notably Hud, Harper, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and The Sting.

The film score by Kenyon Hopkins written in the jazz idiom was tasteful, but exciting. Few scores --another similarity to
Anatomy of a Murder-- had used jazz exclusively up to that time, and here it was a perfect match. I can still hear the strummed major 9th chord underlying the ending of the film.

The movie seemed so real and so familiar. I fell in love with Sarah, and to this day am a fan of Piper Laurie's. I spent several years looking for a girl like Sarah, but to be honest, when I finally found one, it didn't play out too well. I even traveled to Ames' Pool Room in NYC on 46th St. west of Broadway. I got into a game of rotation with the off duty cook for $2 a pop, and he almost busted me. Had enough jack left for one more trip to Geenwich Village, then onto a Trailways outta town.

A word about the subject matter. Its pool/hustling portions were very authentic because several involved in the production had real life experience with gambling and pool. However the character "Minnesota Fats", along with all the other characters, was pure fiction, as attested by Walter Tevis. Shortly after the movie came out, Rudolph Wanderone, aka New York Fats, was given a suggestion by Paulie Jansco (of the Johnston City World's Pocket Billiards tournaments) to go down to the local theater, set up a card table, and represent yourself as the "real" Minnesota Fats. Wanderone was a tremendous self promoter, excellent pool player, story teller, and B.S. artist. He parlayed the hoax into a fortune.

The Hustler was one of a small group of films from the late '50s and early '60s that ushered in a new type of realism-- both in action and in personal relationships. The love interest was complicated but alluring. Eddie didn't realize what he had in him, both emotionally and in his pool playing fortitude. In the end he found out just what those facets were, and became a better man because of it. The book develops those characteristics very well, but Carroll's screenplay pushed the story further, and arguably made a better tale because of it.

Doc's rating: 9/10

I've only seen six from that year, so here they are, more or less ranked...

1. Yojimbo
  2. Barabbas
  3. The Guns of Navarone
  4. A Bomb Was Stolen
  5. Blue Hawaii
  6. West Side Story

I think I should give West Side Story another shot. It's been quite a while.

West Side Story
The Innocents
Yojimbo
The Ladies Man
The Guns of Navarone

"How tall is King Kong ?"
- L'année dernière à Marienbad
- Le cave se rebiffe
- Un taxi pour Tobrouk

Marienbad is quite notorious abroad, but I doubt the Michel Audiard style of dialogue (of both Le cave and Tobrouk) translates very well, It's extremely french, it's almost a language in itself, a surreal poetic slang. But it's so popular that almost every scene he's written the dialogue for is now cult in France (everyone knows Audiard there and can quote full scenes, or at least a few lines that became like proverbs, such as "two intellectuals who sit go less far than one brute who walks", from Tobrouk).

Plus, Le cave is adapted from a Simonin novel. Albert Simonin was using the old parisian gangster slang, and the book was even published with a lexicon at the end. So it's like a double layer of flowery language play, here, Simonin plus Audiard. How to translate that...

Le Cave features one of my favorite cinema scenes ever. A dialogue between two old gangsters reminiscing about their past (informing each other, on a mundane tone, of the expected but violent deaths of old acquaintances) and negotiating the price of some printing paper. What can I say. The surreal yet natural-sounding perfection of the dialogue, the value of phrasing and of delivery, and the whole universe evoked in a few lines... That's Françoise Rosay and that's Jean Gabin. I cannot find a subtitled version, and would a subtitled version do it justice anyway...

All I can share is the musicality of it.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
1. One, Two, Three (absolute cult, among top 3 comedies I ever seen)

other mentions for the year:
  • The Hustler
  • Splendor in the Grass
  • Don Camillo monsignore ma non troppo [Don Camillo: Monsignor]
  • Breakfast at Tiffany's

• One-Eyed Jacks
  • The Hustler
  • Yojimbo
  • The Innocents
  • Judgment at Nuremberg
  • Breakfast at Tiffany’s
  • Blast of Silence
  • The Human Condition III: A Soldier’s Prayer
  • One Hundred and One Dalmatians
  • West Side Story

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
West Side Story
Lover Come Back
Pocketful of Miracles
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Judgment at Nuremberg
Come September
The Absent-Minded Professor

1. One, Two, Three
2. Last Year at Marienbad
3. The Guns of Navarone
4. The Innocents
5. Yojimbo
6. Judgment at Nuremburg
7. The Hustler
8. The Pit and the Pendulum
9. Blast of Silence
10. Scream of Fear

West Side Story
Breakfast at Tiffany's
King of Kings

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
A Taste of Honey
West Side Story
Splendour in the Grass
The Innocents
The Children's Hour
Yojimbo
Victim
Judgement at Nuremberg
The Hustler
Divorce Italian Style