Brewster McCloud (1970)
15.38%
8 votes
MASH (1970)
17.31%
9 votes
Other tell me which one please
52 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I discovered his work quite recently and I've seen 7 of his films so far, that are widely recognized as his best (besides perhaps 3 Women, which I haven't seen yet). I personally liked/loved all of his films A LOT! He's one of the most interesting storytellers I've ever watched and I really like his style of film making. He manages to make even the darkest stories funny in a certain way and he knows how to make the most ridiculous things look extremely realistic. I already consider him as one of my favorite filmmakers.

This is my top 3 so far:

1. The Player

One of the darkest and most pleasant films I've ever watched and certainly one of the best movies about Hollywood EVER! SO GREAT!

2. The Long Goodbye

A brilliant neo-noir film with a very cool, indifferent main character who shows that even his indifference still has a limit. I also loved the many cynical touches in it and of course the plot is also very intriguing.

3. McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Brilliant poetic western film about the cruelty of business and the cruelty of unrequited love. It's also probably the best character study Altman has ever done (from which I've seen).

I can't rank the other four films in order, as they are all so very different and so very special in their own way:

MASH
Nashville
Short Cuts
Gosford Park

These are all
films in my book. I enjoyed them immensely in a very different way.

I would love some more Altman recommendations! (I already received a few from some members on here)

Altman, Ranked:

Nashville

McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Short Cuts

3 Women

The Long Goodbye

The Player

Gosford Park

Images

Thieves Like Us

MASH

One of my two or three favorite directors.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've seen 10 worse than Popeye.

Quintet
Fool for Love
Dr. T and the Women
HEALTH
Pret-a-Porter
The Delinquents
Beyond Therapy
O.C. and Stiggs
California Split
3 Women

He also was one of the directors of the godawful Aria.

Of course, lines hasn't seen a better Altman than Popeye.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The Long Goodbye and Nashville are my favorites and I like Popeye a lot as well. I absolutely hate Dr. T and the Women with a passion.

NASHVILLE is definitely my favorite Altman film and BREWSTER McCLOUD is my least favorite. I also think a lot of his films get a bad rap that really deserve a second look, like DR. T AND THE WOMEN, I like that movie a little more on each re-watch but I have never seen a single positive word about it ever on any discussion board.

Wow, I just searched this thread, and apparently somebody had just bumped it yesterday. Anyway, I'm starting to get into some Altman. I've seen five so far, with The Long Goodbye being my favorite, and Gosford Park being my least favorite. I still have to write a review for the three in between, so I'm not going to reveal them now.

The Long Goodbye

McCabe & Mrs. Miller

The Player

Short Cuts

MASH

So yeh, favourite is The Long Goodbye, and least favourite is MASH so far.

I've only ever seen The Gingerbread Man. Liked it loads. I'll give McCabe and Mrs Miller a shot soon after seeing it for sale online years ago.

The Long Goodbye

McCabe & Mrs. Miller

The Player

Short Cuts

MASH

So yeh, favourite is The Long Goodbye, and least favourite is MASH so far.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Nashville!

So I just finished exploring Altman, and these are my final rankings:

The Long Goodbye - 88/100
Short Cuts - 85/100
Images - 84/100
The Player- 84/100
Cookie's Fortune - 81/100
3 Women - 80/100
Brewster McCloud - 79/100
McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 73/100
Secret Honor - 73/100
Gosford Park - 65/100
California Split - 60/100
Nashville - 49/100

The only one I genuinely dislike is Nashville, and I really like the first nine.

I haven't watched very many of his films but most I've seen were either very good (such as Gingerbread Man, The Player) or brilliant (MASH, McCabe).

The worst I've seen was Ready to Wear.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

A system of cells interlinked
Short Cuts -

The Long Goodbye -

McCabe & Mrs. Miller -

M.A.S.H. -

Cookie's Fortune -

The Player-

Images -

So, how I'd rank all that I've seen so far:

1. The Long Goodbye

2. Nashville

3. McCabe & Mrs. Miller

4. Gosford Park

5. The Player

6. Brewster McCloud

7. Images

8. MASH

9. California Split

10. 3 Women

11. Short Cuts
It's though though, outside of the top 3 the positions are pretty interchangeable, and Short Cuts is in desperate need of a re watch which I'm sure will boost it to be much higher. They're all pretty great though.

It's still great, all those films are at least
I reckon, it could maybe go ahead of MASH and California Split and be on par with Images, I'm not sure. I didn't use to like MASH, but I enjoyed it an awful lot when I did recently and I keep thinking about it, loads of funny parts that me and my brother always reference now, I know he loves it which has helped it grow on me

By the way, definitely check out Images. As Holden said before it's similar to 3 Women, but a lot darker and more like a horror film. Beautiful cinematography with great focus on blacks and whites, an awesome horror inspired score, and a fantastic crazy lead character, really creepy throughout as she battles against different 'demons'. It's quite unique for Altman too, no overlapping dialogue and almost complete focus on one character.