Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Zodiac

Finchers best I’d say. Engrossing. Scene after scene, stacked one after the other in a linear timeline, full of personality and points of interest. Notably: Obsession, frustration, danger and the grinding down of time on the person and case.

Great cast - definitely some unique personalities on display but none felt too overacted or too dominant, each adding something to the film and puzzle.

The ending resolved things as much as possible - it’s enough for me and didn’t leave me wanting.

4.5 / 5

Johnny English: Strikes Again -
- Snooze factor = Zzz
Mara -
- Snooze factor = Zzz
Widows -
- Snooze factor = Z
The House That Jack Built -
- Snooze factor = Z
Overlord -
- Snooze factor = Z
Third viewing - The Duke of Burgundy -
- Snooze factor = Z
Second viewing - Animal Factory -
- Snooze factor = Z

Although I gave it 3.5, I'm still trying to figure out if I really did like The House That Jack Built, feel rather strange about it, can't decide...

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Zodiac

Finchers best I’d say. Engrossing. Scene after scene, stacked one after the other in a linear timeline, full of personality and points of interest. Notably: Obsession, frustration, danger and the grinding down of time on the person and case.

Great cast - definitely some unique personalities on display but none felt too overacted or too dominant, each adding something to the film and puzzle.

The ending resolved things as much as possible - it’s enough for me and didn’t leave me wanting.

4.5 / 5
Why not the full 5 buckets? Re-watched this recently, and i'm definitely considering a full 5/5 rating and maybe placement in my all time top 50 or 100..

30 years later, still holds up. One of the best lines of the film, after Patrick Swayze catches a kick from a thug with a knife in his boot:

"You're too stupid to have a good time".
Roadhouse is a beautiful film

Crying Freeman 1995 Re-watch

Marc Dacascos, as a quiet and complicated Japanese assassin for the 'Sons of the Dragons' (Chinese mafia), known as the 'The Freeman'.
Solid B-Movie, straight to VHS & DVD in Europe, the film was never released in the United States. The action is John Woo-ish, but less over the top, which is a good thing for the mysterious tone of this movie. Within the realm of 90's B-movies, this is definitely an entertaining one. (Half bucket extra for Julie Condra, what a babe.)

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Zodiac

4.5 / 5
Why not the full 5 buckets? Re-watched this recently, and i'm definitely considering a full 5/5 rating and maybe placement in my all time top 50 or 100..
Um...it’s great no doubt. I reserve that for movies that I think are really special and move me emotionally. I’d give silence of the lambs a 5 for example. The only minor criticism of Zodiac would be it felt a bit clinical in parts...as great as it was it didn’t reach that special spine level however I could feel different rewatching. Maybe was how I wAs feeling at the time who knows.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The Highwaymen on Netflix. Solid 4/5. Maybe 4.5 if it holds up after another view, but I'm partial to the pace, cast, and era. Similar enjoyment that I took with Open Range, A Perfect World, and Out of the Furnace.

Sleeping With The Enemy 1991

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Benjamin (2018)

Simon Amstell's semi-autobiographical film about a socially awkward film-maker who has just released a bad film and can't quite get his personal life together either. Deliberately awkward with a fun cast of supporting eccentrics, it's at times painfully funny but overall lacking in a little bit of drive and coherence.

A farmers mother is murdered so he goes on a quest to deliver justice and find out why the bad folks did what they did. Decent little time killer from Ireland.

Almost Human (1974)

-

From Umberto Lenzi, director of Cannibal Ferox, comes this Italian crime flick with an exploitation vibe. I really dig these poliziottesco films and I will be watching more. It certainly wasn't as good as Rabid Dogs or Caliber 9, but that's the type of movie you can expect. The story revolves around a kidnapping for ransom and has dubbing that is both horrible and awesome at the same time. It's on YouTube.