The MoFo Top 100 Documentaries

→ in
Tools    

Hm. It's still a performance.

I don't know...

Anyone else seen it?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

...As for stand-up and concert films, that's a tough one. I'm going to have make a judgment call here. If there's a decent amount of documenting beyond simply the songs on stage or the comedian's act then it's permissable. For example, I don't think we can exclude films like Woodstock or Gimme Shelter - no stand-up movies are coming to mind right now that also include a decnt amount of off-stage activity.

I think that's the only way we can do this, however if enough people protest and have good reasons then I might have to reconsider. But I personally don't think they belong. Do we want them all included? I know it is technically a document and I did say anything with the documentary genre on imdb is allowed, but that's my fault for overlooking these types of movies. Let me know.
No I don't want stand up comedy and music performances counting as a documentary, that's nuts. Especially if you're going to ban TV docs like Blue Planet...You asked and that's my opinion.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Hm. It's still a performance.

I don't know...

Anyone else seen it?

I'm okay with your decision either way. I'm not even sure if I'm going to submit a list yet. But if I decide to submit a list, there's a good chance that it would be on my list if it's eligible, but it won't be my reason for not submitting a list if it's not eligible. (Does that make sense?)

Woody Allen is a pedophille
If we are allowing stand-up, I would definitely recommend Louis C.K.'s "Live at the Beacon Theater" one of the funniest stand up acts I've ever seen.

EDIT: Just read back and saw that they aren't going to be allowed. Still check it out anyway!

Maybe we should consider a separate list for Top Stand-Up Comedy?
That would be a fun countdown.

I sense sarcasm.
No, I mean it. I don't watch a lot of stand-up, but, of what I have seen, I think it's a good genre. It's certainly something unique. I would be interested in seeing a countdown for it. I'd like to know what stand-up movies people appreciate/think are the best.

Although... considering how Honeykid stole my Funniest MoFo award, maybe I better reconsider this... I shouldn't trust these people when it comes to comedy.

Welcome to the human race...
On that note, what's the ruling on concert films? Is Stop Making Sense any less of a documentary than The Last Waltz because it completely eschews any typically documentarian behind-the-scenes footage in favour of showing just the musical performance itself?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Not that keen on stand-up comedy performances being considered en masse but I'm sure there are some which would fall neatly into the category. Same with concert films, although personally I'd want music stuff banned right now if there's even the slightest chance that Rattle & Hum would make the top 1000...

I saw that aberration in a cinema.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
No I don't want stand up comedy and music performances counting as a documentary, that's nuts. Especially if you're going to ban TV docs like Blue Planet...You asked and that's my opinion.
Agree 100%!

I mean, if the stage performance is the majority of the film I vote for it being off the Countdown.

If so, Night and Fog just got pushed down one by Richard Pryor Live in Concert!
Richard Pryor!
Best decide one way or t'other cos that'd be on my list too

I don't like the idea of concert/stand up/performance films counting at all. However, if they're going to then surely there needs to be a substantial amount of off-stage/non-performance footage. How much that is, either in time or percentage of the film, I don't know.

I've seen and enjoyed Wishful Drinking, but I wouldn't allow it if the choice were mine. If these count, then why not The Ricky Gervais Show? I love that programme, but were there a feature length version and it appeared on the list, I'd wonder what the hell it was doing here.

Maybe we should consider a separate list for Top Stand-Up Comedy?
That would be a fun countdown.
I think that's a stand up idea But seriously folks, it's a good idea for comic and music performances to have their own mini countdowns and could be done right now. That way when the Documentary Countdown rolls around, comic and music performances won't be an issue of contention.

See if this works... the second pic is a documentary I saw a while back as an example of what I'm going for...

I like the concept of the movie poster with the title, but it doesn't seem to be working for me that way. I don't like the bottom where the bottom of the movie poster is blocked.

Maybe if you switched it so that the title is above the movie poster, and I don't really care for the gray background behind the words. Maybe a lighter background color would work better?

I'm still playing

I'm trying to get a kind of olde-cinema billboard look, that also ties in with the aesthetic of Movie Forums with the art-deco green decoration that Yods has gone with. Just with my own little spin on it.

I'll have a look at moving the title card to the top, see how it come out...

I'm still playing

I'm trying to get a kind of olde-cinema billboard look, that also ties in with the aesthetic of Movie Forums with the art-deco green decoration that Yods has gone with. Just with my own little spin on it.

I'll have a look at moving the title card to the top, see how it come out...

I don't really care much for the color green, but it works in this case because it matches the site.