The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Guess I'll have to check out Titus.

Is Sideways the only time we saw MC Gainey from the front?

Seen: 40/62

Watch-list:

My name is Johnus Maximus Decimus Connorus.. And I will have Gladiator on my ballot, in this life or the next... my #2.

Ballot: 6/25

Guess I'll have to check out Titus.
I haven't seen it, but I've heard good things about it.

I’ve seen Gladiator several times and it doesn’t do much for me.

Sideways I only saw once back in the theater and loved it. Should really give it a rewatch.

40. Gladiator (155 points) - Not my thing at all. Predictable, swashbuckling blockbuster. Nowhere near my list

39. Sideways (156 points) - funny, charming but not near my list.

I haven't seen it, but I've heard good things about it.
I thought Titus was beautiful but boring. I haven't watched it in about 20 years though.

Honestly never heard of it.

Haven't seen Sideways yet.

I watched Gladiator several years ago and didn't enjoy it. I revisited it last year though as I had a feeling I would enjoy it more, but to my surprise, my opinion stayed pretty much the same. The craft of the film is excellent, but the story and the characters were too thin to resonate with me and I was left somewhat cold by the film in the end. Maybe I could give it a third chance sometime in the future though. Idk.

I watched Gladiator several years ago and didn't enjoy it. I revisited it last year though as I had a feeling I would enjoy it more, but to my surprise, my opinion stayed pretty much the same. The craft of the film is excellent, but the story and the characters were too thin to resonate with me and I was left somewhat cold by the film in the end. Maybe I could give it a third chance sometime in the future though. Idk.
So, were you not entertained?

Awards

Now to the awards received by Gladiator...

• Academy Award for Best Picture, Best Actor (Russell Crowe), Best Sound, Best Visual Effects
  • BAFTA Award for Best Film, Best Cinematography (John Mathieson), Best Production Design (Arthur Max), and Best Editing (Pietro Scalia)
  • Blockbuster Entertainment Award for Favorite Actor (Crowe) and Favorite Villain (Joaquin Phoenix)
  • Empire Award for Best Film, Best Actor (Crowe), and Best Actress (Connie Nielsen)
  • Golden Globe for Best Picture and Best Score (Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard)

Among many, many others.

As for Sideways, it won...

• Academy Award for Best Screenplay (Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor)
  • BAFTA Award for Best Screenplay (Payne and Taylor)
  • SAG Award for Best Performance by a Cast
  • AFI Award for Movie of the Year
  • Chlotrudis Award for Best Supporting Actress (Virginia Madsen)
  • Gold Derby Award for Best Screenplay (Payne and Taylor) and Best Actor (Paul Giamatti)
  • Golden Globe for Best Screenplay (Payne and Taylor) and Best Picture

This pair of movies might be my two least favorite movies on the countdown. I just think Gladiator is awful, and I sense Sideways depends on the viewer identifying with or liking the two main characters and I just didn't like them at all, so I've never returned to it for a second viewing. To each their own, of course.

The trick is not minding
I’ve always enjoyed Gladiator since I first saw it on dvd shortly after it had been released. There was so much hype around, and it mostly delivers. It overextends its grasp at times by trying to be more than it should be, such as arguing over a free Rome and such. A straight revenge film would have made it better, but I get it was trying to separate itself from Spartacus. *
I’m in the opinion that Phoenix over acts at times here, although he’s mostly good. Nielsen is decent but her role is underwritten, and the ending scene fell just a little flat.
Overall, it’s a decent film however, mostly due to Crowe’s swagger and some decent fight scenes. Just don’t look too closely when the tiger takes a swipe at Crowe.
Almost made my ballot, but in the end, it fell to the wayside.

Gladiator is a film that I liked a lot when it was new. While I have watched it through a couple times, over the last decade whenever I turned it on, I never managed to sit through the whole thing. There are certainly parts I'm more than happy to watch, but some others tend to drag, and the runtime is not exactly lean.

While I've gotten more and more lukewarm on Russell Crowe over the years, I still think Joaquin Phoenix was the perfect choice for his role. You sort of love to hate him. Now as I'm reflecting on the film, I think I probably should have rewatched it (all the way through again!) before submitting my ballot. I have a feeling it could've found its way into one of the lower slots.

Sideways however is not something that was in contention for my list. My old room mate convinced me to watch it after she bought it on DVD, but I didn't particularly like it. I don't remember why anymore though, as I seem to have purged it from my memory at some point.

Seen: 34/62

My List:
05. The Lives of Others (2006) - #41
06. Millennium Actress (2001) - DNP
08. Mother (2009) - #96
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
11. Paprika (2006) - #64
16. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #76
20. Moon (2009) - #48
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

Still Salty About Forgetting: The Descent (2005)
Probably Would've Included: Gladiator (2000)

Big fan of Sideways as I really love all 4 main characters. Still if I were to rank them, it'd be Jack first and Miles last with the girls in between. One of my most quoted movie lines is "I'm not drinking any f**king merlot!" Of course every time I scream it, people look at me like there's something wrong with me. Which there probably is.

Saw Gladiator at the cinema when it came out with my wife and neither of us liked it. We weren't married yet so I'm sure we had other things on our minds And I most definitely would've been drunk.

1. The Secret in Their Eyes (2009) (#59)
5. Adaptation (2002) (#43)
6. The Devil's Rejects (2005) (#94)
8. 28 Days Later (2002) (#45)
10. The Wrestler (2008) (#54)
11. Mystic River (2003) (#65)
14. Sideways (2002) (#39)
15. Amores Perros (2000) (#81)
17. Y tu mamá también (2001) (#95)