Critique Our Top 10

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Sean, I don't mind our political differences one bit.. I get along with the "other side" the same, if not more - there's a lot more than that label. Sincerity, passion, and many other factors fall in. Because of the election cycle it already sounds cliche but I like anti-establishment, rebellious, passion, justice, virtue and the movies we like have them. You can have fun with great, and always very open-minded about what I watch next. I have found handfuls of GREAT movies thanks to everyone here. I've always been curious of the root of certain movie tastes, so I wonder how much different we REALLY are politically. Eventually if you dissect, break an argument down, you can get at the source for type of human necessity. And the same with movies. I just looked at your list, and more than a handful of those have so much meaning to me, and glad you remembered my Top 100

I loved "M" (suspense) and a few days ago I saw "The Blue Dahlia" and as you mentioned "One Flew.." I think is very funny. As for the lighthearted movies, I'm trying to think of the last one I saw, maybe "Never On Sunday"? - it's a Greek/English movie, but I think is funny at times, and takes the serious very lightly. Check it out if you haven't. I think you'll love TSHDT. I won't say anything about it, but can't wait to hear what you have to say about it!

Gunslingers' favorite is one of my favorites. Did you see that hilarious Uber picture; Two businessmen are inside a cafe while Travis is right outside watching with blood in his heart!

Tongo too, Glengary Glenn Ross is so great on it's own, and then you add that amazing cast; I would have thought it being SO popular. Even if it wasn't a great movie, I'd think that it would have been more talked about just having Pacino, Jack Lemon, Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin..... I love "Seven Samurai" and Kurosawa in general, has a handful of great movies. "Ikiru" was the first I saw of his, and probably will always be my favorite. Rashomon is a great movie on perception and reality, which are my personal every day themes, always trying to find the truth, not the result I want, but sifting through layers of deception (or by accident) and getting to it.

Matt: There Will Be Blood, Network, and One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest are all great films! Haven't seen any others though.

I put my actual top 10 back up, if anyone wants to take a look.

False Writer's "Reservoir Dogs" is one of better Tarantino's, especially dialogue. "Fight Club" is cult classic that I have respect for. It could have been your top 10 that prompted me to watch "Silent Hill" and I loved it especially for it's atmosphere and transcendence. I found "Office Space" to be average, generously speaking. Obviously "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy is great. I haven't seen the remaining movies.

Welcome to the human race...
I think the only one of Tugg's current list of favourites that I've seen is Barfly, which I thought was alright but nothing amazing. Still quite a few on there that do I want to see.

(Also, I should probably actually put in a proper top 10 if I want to keep posting in here, huh?)

Allright Ill critique Iroquois, I feel like Im walking onto the schoolyard for a beating

WHAT?! All you have listed is Escape From New York?! If this is how youve always had it this is the first time I noticed (I dont usually check out peoples top ten) Oh come on Dude youre deeper than that.

Ok Ill check the poster above you, Tugg (great name)....Oh my gosh I dont recognize any except Barfly, which I did see. Different assortment, and they dont look "arty". I knew I slowed down on watching films the past 10 years but this is alarming.

Edit In - I didnt read Iros post till after I wrote mine, I almost repeated everything he said.

I've generally had proper top 10s for most of the time but I did a change for April Fool's and then my change after that ended up being, well, what you see now. I should probably get around to filling it out properly.

As for your top 10, TONGO - I've seen seven of your top ten films (the exceptions being The World According to Garp, The Lion in Winter, and Fist of Legend). Goodfellas and Jaws are five-star films for me while Glengarry Glen Ross and The Silence of the Lambs aren't far behind. The rest...blah.

Iroquois's #1 "Blues Brothers" was not my cup of tea. The only reason I don't find #2 "Raiders of the Lost Ark" great is the ending, which rendered everything that happened before it pointless. "The Holy Grail" is the very funny one. #7 "Blade Runner" has some of the most iconic and sublime moments in all of movies. I didn't dig #9 "Taxi Driver". It was not realistic enough because of lack of our knowledge about protagonist's motivation, but it was too realistic to be metaphorical for me. I wouldn't mind watching your #3, #4 & #8, but I have no interest in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly", becouse I have just realised I like westerns even less than history & biography movies. My first guess is I don't like watching men stare at each other.

The only reason I don't find #2 "Raiders of the Lost Ark" great is the ending, which rendered everything that happened before it pointless.
Please elaborate, I would like to hear your reasons.

Please elaborate, I would like to hear your reasons.
There's not much too it. I liked everything about the movie except the ending. If Indy and his girl didn't fight the Nazis finding lost arc first, then they wouldn't have seen the arc just like they didn't look at it in the end and Nazis would have found it and would have died, just like they did in the movie.

Nazi win and Indy getting tortured to death would have been preferable ending.

In "the Last Crusade" the ending was similar in it's outcome but executed better. First of all Nazis needed Indy to find Holy Grail. And second of all, some screen time was used to portray how their thirst for power brought Nazi downfall.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
In Taxi Driver, I think Bickle himself didn't know what his motivations were. He can't sleep, he's lonely, so "I might as well get paid for it" and like life, things just happen when you are out and about, as opposed to sitting in your apartment, where things also "happened" (think "Late For The Sky") and then the Soap Opera..

There's not much too it. I liked everything about the movie except the ending. If Indy and his girl didn't fight the Nazis finding lost arc first, then they wouldn't have seen the arc just like they didn't look at it in the end and Nazis would have found it and would have died, just like they did in the movie.
Ah, yes, the old "Indy didn't impact anything" line of reasoning. I've heard it, but there's a few arguments against it. For one, if Indy doesn't go to Nepal and find Marion because she has the medallion that the Nazis want, then the Nazis still torture and presumably murder Marion in order to get the medallion themselves (and it's not like Indy led them to her either, they knew to look for her before Indy even got involved). Also, even if the Ark would have killed the Nazis anyway, it's still a dangerous unknown that must be accounted for no matter what, hence why the U.S. government agents want Indy to find it for them in the first place.

Nazi win and Indy getting tortured to death would have been preferable ending.
...why?

In "the Last Crusade" the ending was similar in it's outcome but executed better. First of all Nazis needed Indy to find Holy Grail. And second of all, some screen time was used to portray how their thirst for power brought Nazi downfall.
Yeah, I'll pay that, Last Crusade had a pretty satisfying ending, though I'm not entirely sure how it compares to Raiders. Was there not enough indication of how the Nazis' thirst for power caused their downfall in Raiders? I mean, the whole point was that they wanted the Ark's power for themselves, so they naturally got their comeuppance when that same power turned on them and destroyed them. It was done to all the villains at once, as opposed to showing two separate villains (Donovan and Elsa) getting two separate deaths because of their shared obsession with obtaining the Grail. Donovan and Elsa weren't even explicitly Nazis, just using the Nazis and whatever other allies they could in order to find the Grail, so to see their demises as "Nazi downfall" is a tad inaccurate.

teeter_g - haven't seen Maze Runner or Divergent or Lone Survivor. As for the rest, I generally like all of them except American History X and The Boondock Saints.

Jaws, Taxi Driver,TGTBTU, Apocalypse Now, and Raiders are all top notch films with the latter two being in my 100.

I just watched Blade Runner for the second time. I'm trying to grab onto what so many others love about it. The aesthetic is great but the story really doesn't do anything for me. The characters are too underdeveloped for my taste. I have it a 3/5 this time around.

Blues Brothers is fun. If I had grown up with it I think it would probably be a favorite. The production value was a lot higher than I expected going in. Unfortunately, not enough laughs for it to be more than a 3/5 from me.

Iro - You're an Apocalypse Now and Escape from New York guy. I'm a The Conversation and Halloween guy.

Matt - Brother from another mother.

Optimus - Probably has killer Fight Club fan theories.

Seanc - Universally beloved. Kind of safe.