The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I really like Cast Away. I think it's probably Zemeckis' last truly emotional film before he got all caught up with special effects shenanigans. Hanks is great and I think the meeting with Helen Hunt in the last act is an excellent showcase of guilt and regret mixed with restrain from both actors.

WARNING: spoilers below

I still wouldn't have had them kiss, but I'm glad they didn't keep them together.

That said, it didn't make my list. I had it in the periphery, but it didn't get in.

As for Fantastic Mr. Fox, I saw it a couple of years ago and enjoyed it quite a bit, but not as much for me to consider it. Generally speaking, I'm not a huge fan of Anderson's aesthetics (at least judging from the three films of his I've seen, but well). But overall, I thought it was a fun film.

So, this is where I'm at...

Seen: 20/32

My ballot:  

Cast Away is solid, though I haven't watched it in a while. One of the better survival films I've seen due to the pathos it creates throughout its runtime. Also, even though it's been meme-ified, I find the Wilson sub-plot really well-done. With that being said, it didn't make my ballot.

Haven't seen Fantastic Mr. Fox.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Two worthy marks here, even if I haven't actually seen one of them.

Fantastic Mr. Fox is a cool movie, and if I were to list say 50 for the decade, it would have made my list.

Cast Away is probably good because of Hanks. Really only seen the Wilson scene though to this date.

Preliminary trivia fact about the next entries... the gap between #69 (Cast Away) and #68 is 3 points, which is the "biggest" gap we've had so far. Meanwhile, #67 is in another 2-way tie with #66. Like I said a couple of pages ago, that just shows how close and spread out these votes were.

Fantastic Mr. Fox was on my list at sweet sixteen, good for ten of its 90 points. I am a gigantic, unabashed Wes Anderson groupie, though I only made room for one of his four eligible features from this decade on my ballot. For me it is his third-best film to-date, behind only Rushmore and The Grand Budapest Hotel. The mixture of Dahl's sensibility and Wes' is perfection for this viewer. I expect The Royal Tenebaums will still show on this list, which is cool and it is certainly worthy. But as a champion for this little cuss of a flick I am glad my quote/unquote "fantastic" choice made the collective cut, too.

HOLDEN’S BALLOT
1. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#86)
16. Fantastic Mr. Fox (#70)
17. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (#92)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Have seen so far: 10 - Castaway - I thought it was a decent movie, not one of my favorites though
Have not seen so far: 24

I have not seen Fantastic Mr. Fox yet

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Okay, so I'm a little behind... Catch Me If You Can was my #11. It's not like a perfect film, but it's highly entertaining and enjoyable to watch. It's a great Spielberg flick that I can always put on, like so many of his movies. Leo and Hanks are so much fun.

Snatch I recently rewatched and it still held up. It was my #24. To me it's probably Guy Ritchie's best, where he expanded upon the style and approach he took with his debut feature. It's hard to really keep making these sorts of films, without it seeming redundant, which is also why his later films has been hit or miss. But I feel like his style and talent peaked here and for what it tries to accomplish it's pretty much a perfect example of that. I find it extremely fun to watch.

Cast Away and Fantastic Mr. Fox were not on my list, but I like both. Actually, I love the latter and the combination of Wes Anderson's style and stop-motion animation was a match made in heaven. I pretty much love everything stop-motion and I like or love most of Wes' work. I also really like the original story of Mr. Fox, which I read after watching the movie. It just missed my list, but could easily have been on there.

I have seen 22 of the films revealed so far...

Despite having seen most Wes Anderson movies, including the two on the list, I don’t like his style. Is he the first director to show up twice so far?

Cast Away is ok. I think the post-island stuff isn’t as strong or memorable as what came before it but I appreciate what they were going for.

I've only seen Snatch since my last post, and it's been so long that I don't remember much about it. Most of these latter films are also films I'll probably never end up watching.

91 points on just 5 ballots. Is that a cult entry?
It was ranked fairly high (above 15th) in all those 5 ballots.

A system of cells interlinked
Just getting on MoFo now, so I missed all the guessing fun.

Meanwhile, neither film was on my list, but I like them both!

I've seen both these films, but neither were in contention for a spot on my ballot. I do not like Wes Anderson, and I do not like stop motion, so I only watched Fantastic Mr. Fox for a Hall of Fame, and with those massive hurdles, it never really had a chance to win me over.

I should probably watch Cast Away again, since I only saw it all the way through with my family not long after it came out on video. I'd catch parts of it on tv over the years, but never the whole thing.

Seen: 16/32

I'm simply not much of a Tom Hanks fan
I thought I was the only one! There's just something about him I don't like, and I can't put my finger on it.

I thought I was the only one! There's just something about him I don't like, and I can't put my finger on it.

Ah now, I might not be his biggest fan but I don't quite think he's the son of Satan