80th Annual Academy Awards Nominees (2008)

Tools    

We're sure he'll be offered it? Early word is that ratings dropped another 20% this year, so they've fallen both years he's hosted. Obviously this may have to do with trends beyond the host's control, and he gets a bit of a pass this time around, but when the numbers go down, I have to think a shakeup of some sort is plausible.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The ratings tend to go down when the nominated movies don't make that much at the box office. If you get more commercially-popular movies up for the Awards, more people tune in.

Yeah, I don't think the Oscar producers are pegging any ratings issues on Jon Stewart. At all. Especially this year. It's dependent on the nominated movies and the continued diversification of media and a zillion little things, but I'm sure if you asked Gil Cates this morning he'll tell you Jon saved their butts and they couldn't be happier with him as host.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am half agony, half hope.
I thought it was sweet that they let Marketa Irglova come back and give her speech after her partner took all 45 seconds to make his when they won for their song. I wonder whose idea that was?

Johann von Goethe

Put me in your pocket...
I thought it was sweet that they let Marketa Irglova come back and give her speech after her partner took all 45 seconds to make his when they won for their song. I wonder whose idea that was?
I thought the same thing last night when Jon brought her back on stage. It showed his gentalman side and Marketa was adorable. T'was a nice little sweet surprize.

I also really dug the whole intro to the Oscars, with all the film icons in the CGI bit. Fun.
I thought that was pretty cool too.... but wished they had been just a wee bit slower with it....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Which is why Jon Stewart is the classiest guy around. I don't think the ratings have to do with him; lately, the films are not big box office hits. NCFOM only made $64 million.

I was just reading Slate and Salon -- jeez, these guys picked on this Oscar ceremony like you wouldn't believe. I wanted to yell, "Lighten Up!" They picked on everything, especially the montages. I thought the montages were appropriate for an 80th anniversary. But I guess the show did lack a little something.

The Memoriam wasn't really great. Some of it did seem lackluster.

I enjoyed it because I loved NCFOM. And I predicted Tilda! Yes!

(I went 9/21 -- boy, I sucked guessing this year. Like Yoda, Bourne did me in. I still can't believe Kevin O'Connell (that's his name, right?) has gone 0/20. Jeez, give the guy an Oscar already).

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
[quote=blibblobblib;416516]Billy Crystal!quote]

MIKE WAZOWSKI

You're a Genius all the time
I must have missed that part.... did they do anything extra for Ledger?
Nah, not really. Well, they did flare the orchestra in a dramatatic crescendo for the two seconds his image appeared onscreen. And he got the most applause, too! Cemented his enviable status as the most beloved celebrity who died this past year. Very tasteful.

Oh, and they didn't even mention Alice Ghostly, Merv Griffin, Robert Goulet or Charles Nelson Reilly...

I am half agony, half hope.
And Brad Renfro, which was an obvious omission since he died so close to the time Ledger did.

They said the time frame for the memoriam segment is from Feb. 1, 2007 to Jan. 31, 2008, so he should have been remembered.

My life isn't written very well.
Anyone brought this up yet? Whoopi Goldberg completely left out of the Oscar's greatest Hosts Montage. 1st Black woman to host, 2nd black woman to win an Oscar. Doesn't matter if she wasn't a good host (which i thought she was), but c'mon the woman did accomplish enough to at least get a small mention.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Anyone brought this up yet? Whoopi Goldberg completely left out of the Oscar's greatest Hosts Montage. 1st Black woman to host, 2nd black woman to win an Oscar. Doesn't matter if she wasn't a good host (which i thought she was), but c'mon the woman did accomplish enough to at least get a small mention.

I saw something mentioned on the news about it -- showed them discussing it on what ever that talk show is she is on.... I think it sucked that they didn't mention her... and I really don't see where the short time frame to prepare/writers strike is an excuse for that one...

They also didn't have any clips of Steve Martin as host, and the only bit of Letterman was one of the Billy Crystal movie-montages he was in.

But yes, Whoopi was "snubbed". Those racist, sexist clip makers! And if I had prematurely white hair I'd be up in arms!

Racism or sexism never even entered my mind… I just thought it was a bit negligent because I would assume someone had a list of past hosts… I wasn't aware they had left Martin and Letterman out too... and that was wrong. To me, it has more to do with giving credit where it is due than race...

Well the other big point people keep missing is it wasn't a montage of "Oscar Hosts". It was a montage of some famous and infamous Oscar moments. It kinda started out with some lines from some of the hosts over the years, including Bob Hope, Johnny Carson and Chevy Chase among others ("Good evening, Hollywood Phonies"), but then you also get stuff like the streaker behind David Niven, Christopher Reeve in his wheelchair, Sacheen Littlefeather, Björk's swan dress, the atrocious Rob Lowe/Snow White musical number, as well as stuff like the last on-stage appearances of legends like Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne and Charlie Chaplin. To make it out like it was a montage of hosts and snubbed her and Steve Martin among more recent hosts is ridiculous. It was nearly three minutes long and was kind of a catchall of random "Oscar moments". Whoopi Goldberg wasn't in it, it's true, but an awful lot of people weren't either.

As for racial conspiricists, that montage did included Hattie McDaniel, Chris Rock, Puffy Combs, Halle Barry, Irene Cara, Isaac Hayes, Sammy Davis Jr., Aretha Franklin, Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder. So...yeah.

If it truly had been a clip package of Oscar hosts and Whoopi wasn't included, OK, you got a legitimate gripe and have to wonder. But a montage of random Oscar moments that doesn't include Whoopi...so what?