D-Day

Tools    

Since today is the 64th anniversary of D-Day,has anyone had a
WWII movie marathon?
Which movie would you say pays the best homage to all that fought in Normandie.

Since today is the 64th anniversary of D-Day,has anyone had a
WWII movie marathon?
Which movie would you say pays the best homage to all that fought in Normandie.
I don't care about paying homage to "all that fought" on D-Day. Just the Allied troops who fought. F*K the Germans.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Saving Private Ryan for the beach front, and Band of Brothers for the paratroopers.

Saving Private Ryan for the beach front, and Band of Brothers for the paratroopers.
Seen those on too.

GOD rest the souls of the departed.

The funniest D-Day movie, by far, is Paddy Chayefsky's satirical The Americanization of Emily (1964 - Arthur Hiller) starring James Garner as the man a crazed Admiral hand-picks as the designated first casualty of the invasion. And maybe the most unconventional movie using D-Day as a back-drop also stars Jim Garner: 36 Hours (1965 - George Seaton), where his Intelligence Officer is captured a few days before the invasion and put through an elaborate ruse by the Germans to trick him into revealing the details. Also the thriller Eye of the Needle (1981 - Richard Marquand) cleverly uses the run-up to D-Day, as Donald Sutherland's Nazi spy discovers the dummy wooden tanks used by the Allies as a decoy to make the Germans think Patton would be leading a later landing, but finds himself trapped on a remote island off the coast of Britain and tangled up with the family that lives there. Will they discover who he is before he kills them and gets his information back to Germany? Good adaptation of the Ken Follett novel.

A good little-seen one of boot camp and the battle itself is Overlord (1975 - Stuart Cooper) which ingeniously blends stock footage to give an air of documentary-like authenticity. Overlord has a well-earned cult reputation, but it should be relatively easy to find in the U.S. now thanks to its DVD release last year as part of the Criterion Collection. Anyone who has seen the excellent IFC documentary Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession (2004 - Xan Cassavetes) may remember it being featured there as well.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You ready? You look ready.
Band of Brothers is all you need.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Yep, The Americanization of Emily (1964), and 36 Hours (1965), are both great. With 36 Hours being my favorite of the two. I also have Band of Brothers, and Saving Private Ryan. I think that is all I have.

I don't care about paying homage to "all that fought" on D-Day. Just the Allied troops who fought. F*K the Germans.
Why do you say that Ruf? Just interested.

Why do you say that Ruf? Just interested.
Because members of the German military from enlisted men to field marshals swore allegience to Hitler, not to Germany. The top military commanders mostly were card-carrying members of the Nazi party, and even those who were not sympathized with and aided the Nazis. Germany embarked on a war of aggression to take over other European countries and exploit their populations and resources. It promoted the concept of a "master race" and murdered by the millions those who did not fit that concept. They developed and fired jet and rocket missles indiscriminately, not knowing or caring if they hit military or civilian targets. They used slave labor to support their war effort. Little things like that. The best thing I can say about Germany during its Nazi years is that Japan was even worse. I don't believe in honoring either Germany or Japan for their part in starting and prolonging World War II. F*k them and the white horses they rode in on.