Films about the US / Mexican border

Tools    

Any suggestions for films set on the US / Mexico border? I've seen:

Frontera
Sin Nombre
The Golden Dream
Sicario

I'm thinking of films that touch on immigration / the damage done by drug cartels etc

Thanks

Nowt to do with cartels but how about The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, it concerns immigration - would that qualify it?

I'm not a fan of the movie, but Rambo: Last Blood definitely qualifies. MKS has an interesting take on it, although we differ on how successful the movie is in that regard.

On a lighter note, Born in East L.A. doesn't deal with the cartels, but touches on other issues around the border and illegal immigration in an unexpectedly touching way. Big fan of that one.

There's plenty of 'em out there, but No Country has to be the king of all border films, IMO.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Does Traffic (2000) count?

There's plenty of 'em out there, but No Country has to be the king of all border films, IMO.
Chigur certainly represents the ruthlessness of the cartels, even if he is a Turkish (?) independent contractor.

Speaking of Bardem, The Counselor is an underrated thinly disguised look at the Sinoloa cartel with a number of interesting details, like depicting the now regular "mothers of the disappeared" demonstrations.

Not about cartels, but there's a little film on Netflix called Desierto (2015). It's directed by Jonas Cuarón (son of Alfonso) and stars Gael García Bernal as part of a group of immigrants being pursued by a ruthless vigilante played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan. It's not without its faults, but its fairly solid.

The Mule (2012)

An American female reporter searches for her missing brother against the backdrop of violence and human smuggling across the US/Mexican border.

Not about cartels, but there's a little film on Netflix called Desierto (2015). It's directed by Jonas Cuarón (son of Alfonso) and stars Gael García Bernal as part of a group of immigrants being pursued by a ruthless vigilante played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan. It's not without its faults, but its fairly solid.
Thanks, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm after.

The Border with Jack Nicholson is an excellent movie.

Any suggestions for films set on the US / Mexico border? I've seen:

Frontera
Sin Nombre
The Golden Dream
Sicario

I'm thinking of films that touch on immigration / the damage done by drug cartels etc

Thanks
Borderline with Charles Bronson is on Tubi and Prime.

Jeb Maynard is a patrolman guarding the U.S.-Mexican border, whose partner and buddy Scooter has just been murdered. Maynard knows that a smuggler of illegal aliens is responsible for Scooter’s death, but the feds insist that drug dealers committed the crime.

Borderline with Charles Bronson is on Tubi and Prime.

Jeb Maynard is a patrolman guarding the U.S.-Mexican border, whose partner and buddy Scooter has just been murdered. Maynard knows that a smuggler of illegal aliens is responsible for Scooter’s death, but the feds insist that drug dealers committed the crime.
Thanks, but not available in the UK unfortunaely.

I've always thought El Norte was a marvelous movie even though it's about Guatemalan refugees trying to reach the US.

2007's Trade with Kevin Kline sounds like it would fit the bill. 1977's Rolling Thunder with William Devane and Tommy Lee Jones is another excellent one.

Oh and if you don't mind going old, old school 1949's Border Incident with Ricardo Montalban and George Murphy might provide a different perspective.

Chigur certainly represents the ruthlessness of the cartels, even if he is a Turkish (?) independent contractor.
I don't think so.

The character is a recurrence of the "Unstoppable Evil" archetype frequently found in Cormac McCarthy's work, though the Coen brothers wanted to avoid one-dimensionality, particularly a comparison to The Terminator. To avoid a sense of identification, the Coens sought to cast someone "who could have come from Mars". The brothers introduced the character at the beginning of the film in a manner similar to the opening of the 1976 film The Man Who Fell to Earth. Film critic David DuBos described Chigurh as a "modern equivalent of Death from Ingmar Bergman's 1957 film The Seventh Seal."[1]
When Joel and Ethan Coen approached Javier Bardem about playing Chigurh, he replied, "I don't drive, I speak bad English and I hate violence." The Coens responded, "That's why we called you." Bardem said he took the role because it was his dream to be in a Coen Brothers film.[2]
The Coen brothers got the idea for Chigurh's hairstyle from a book Tommy Lee Jones had. It featured a 1979 photo of a man sitting in the bar of a brothel with a very similar hairstyle and clothes similar to those worn by Chigurh in the film. Oscar-winning hairstylist Paul LeBlanc designed the hairdo. The Coens instructed LeBlanc to create a "strange and unsettling" hairstyle. LeBlanc based the style on the mop tops of the English warriors in the Crusades as well as the Mod haircuts of the 1960s. Bardem told LeBlanc each morning when he finished that the style helped him to get into character. Bardem supposedly said that he was "not going to get laid for two months" because of his haircut.[3]
His background and nationality are left undisclosed and largely open to speculation. When writer Cormac McCarthy visited the set, the actors inquired about Chigurh's background and the symbolic significance of his name. McCarthy simply replied, "I just thought it was a cool name."[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Chigurh

You ready? You look ready.
The sequel to Sicario is worth a watch if you liked the first one.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza