Nebraska

→ in
Tools    

Just got a chance to see Nebraska at my local cinema as I missed it the first time around. Bruce Dern's nomination for Best Actor is well deserved (even though it's unlikely he'll win it). Here's my review:

Nebraska is a road movie that morphs into an insightful comedy drama about family relationships. Bruce Dern (Woody) is exceptional as the cantankerous old father on the brink of senility who exasperates his wife and sons with his determination to collect a $1 million dollar prize that is so obviously a scam. As you'd expect, the journey turns out to be more important than the destination and although at times there seems to be a streak of misanthropy running through Nebraska, the way in which Woody's son discovers intriguing details about his father's past makes for an unexpectedly endearing story.

10/10

I didn't think I would like it. It actually was my "I can't think of anything better" choice, but I ended up really liking it. I have not seen Bruce Dern in a role for quite a while, but his portrayal of Woody was definitely in Oscar territory. It's a subtle movie that takes a while to grab you, but it's excellent.

Just finished this a few minutes ago.

Doesn't feel like it'd make a lot of sense to review, really. Dern was great. It felt like almost every other Alexander Payne movie. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it felt more like a Payne film, if that makes sense. It felt like a distillation of the kinds of things he usually does.

Give me all of your candy!
I am finally getting around to watching this. I will be back to review soon after! I miss you guys!

Give me all of your candy!
I actually did enjoy it quite a bit. I have a newfound respect for Will Forte's acting chops and Bruce Dern did a fantastic job depicting a torn man with a sheltered personality and a warm heart. The real jewel in this movie is the hilarious fireball June Squibb! I absolutely loved her performance! I would give this a solid 7/10 glad I finally watched this Oscar nominee flick!

I really liked Nebraska too. All the cast were great. The scenes where the've visited Woody's brother and nephews and they all sit around in slience is very funny. I like that it's not sentimental but at the same time it is touching, that's a fine line to balance but this film gets there