Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Brick (2005)
A truly great film, with unique hard-boiled detective-type dialogue all the way through that has its own life and is great to listen to. It's a murder mystery but so much more. The acting is great by all involved. See this one if you like to try different stuff.

That DOES look intriguing. Will have to go a-searching for that one.

The Lobster (2015)

A companion picture to the cult favorite Dogtooth (2009), Yorgos Lanthimos once again crafts an absurd, dystopian reality serving as social allegory, this time focusing on societal pressures on single people as well as the bizarre nature of dating/love when viewed through an animistic lens. Despite being the Greek director's English language debut, The Lobster (2015) defies the odds by wholy retaining his pitch black humor, surreal sensibilities, and emotional repression. The endless comparisons to the Coen Brothers, Wes Anderson, Charlie Kaufman etc. are easy to make and should be taken as a testament to the scale and execution of his unique vision.

http://boxd.it/7L1pj
Actually saw a review of this in Iro's review thread just the other day and it piqued my curiosity incredibly and this review definitely reinforces my resolve to find this one

The Water Diviner
++ I could be mistaken, but I believe this is Crowe's first full length film that he's directed and he has done a truly splendid job. He's brought emotion and depth to every scene. From the quietest moments to the harsh explosive scenes of war. Fantastic movie.

I have to return some videotapes.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The 2nd half was much better than the first, but wow that was just too long. I can't say that there was "filler" as the reason it was too long, because it all should have been put in there, but it was hard to stay watching for its runtime. Like every Fincher movie I have ever seen, there is outstanding camerawork, bleak storytelling, and a great cast giving their best performances. It is very well done and I am glad I watched it. This might be one of my least favorite David Fincher films, but by god it was not bad at all. He shows again that he is a great director.

-

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?

The Drop(2014):

Director -
Michaël R. Roskam
Cast - Tom Hardy, James Gandolfini, Noomi Rapace.

Probably the tenth time I've watched this, the pacing and atmosphere are awesome and are akin to Killing Them Softly, which I also liked a lot. Plot centers around a drop bar in Brooklyn called Cousin Marv's(Place for the mob to launder and compile money from betting and other activities) which is run by it's namesake Cousin Marv(James Gandolfini) assisted by Bob(Tom Hardy) The film deals with the relationships of people in themes of greed, corruption and eventually redemption. I see this as a very fitting crown on James Gandolfini's film legacy, definitely one that he would have been proud of. Gandolfini and Hardy worked well together, sad to say it will never happen again.

8.5/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Mazursky's first movie, I think I gave that one a 6... My favorite movie in history is "Harry and Tonto" and he also co-wroter (produced and directed).. Next Stop Greenwich Village is great.. Blume In Love is good too.

Be a freak, like me too
In The Land Of The Deaf (1993), Nicolas Philibert

The poster is ugly but the film is great

It's a beautiful and touching documentary about the deaf community. There are several interviews in sign language subtitled in French, the sign language is so beautiful to see. It's so fascinating! The teacher, Jean-Claude Poulain, has a such expressive face. Philibert is an observant with an empathic approach.

I suppose I liked this film because I'm a little deaf

The trailer :

Mazursky's first movie, I think I gave that one a 6... My favorite movie in history is "Harry and Tonto" and he also co-wroter (produced and directed).. Next Stop Greenwich Village is great.. Blume In Love is good too.
Harry and Tonto is one of the few Mazursky films I have never seen, I have to add that to my watchlist...thanks for the reminder.

The Intern, my good, best movie in his category by far, it may be kind of personal because i feel identifies whit some parts of the movie but i think it was awesome.
or 10/10 glad that i saw the movie :-)

From Here to Eternity (1953)

-

Too tired to get into detail but a great flick and cast. A very rare time that I wished the movie was twice as long.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The 2nd half was much better than the first, but wow that was just too long. I can't say that there was "filler" as the reason it was too long, because it all should have been put in there, but it was hard to stay watching for its runtime. Like every Fincher movie I have ever seen, there is outstanding camerawork, bleak storytelling, and a great cast giving their best performances. It is very well done and I am glad I watched it. This might be one of my least favorite David Fincher films, but by god it was not bad at all. He shows again that he is a great director.

-
I agree completely. After watching it I knew that I could never sit through it again and actually traded in the blu-ray I had (which I don't do very often) It wasn't bad but yeah just seemed wayyy too long.

The Lords Of Salem (2012) - Rob Zombie

- Sorry for the fan of this movie but this is complete crap. So boring and I felt asleep 2 or 3 time during the viewing. The score is awful, the direction if awful (and the funny thing is that I like Rob Zombie) and the acting was atrocious. Horrible movie.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Lords Of Salem (2012) - Rob Zombie

Canadian Moose vs. Swanian Swan! Who shall win this epic battle?

Welcome to the human race...
Now this is interesting to me as the only person I saw who was excited was really let down by it. I look forward to your full review of it.
Duly noted.

Deathgasm -

Not bad as far as splatter comedies go, but far from the best.