MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Revealing # 11 from my list.

11. Manhunter (did not place)

this is absolutely not a horror film.... this is a crime thriller, just like silence of the lambs...

here's my full list. movies in bold didn't make it.

1. The Shining (1980
2. Good Manners (2018)
3. Green Room (2016)

4. The Thing (1982)
5. The Iron Rose (1973)
6. Psycho (1960)
7. The Addiction (1995)
8. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
9. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)
10. Zombieland (2009)
11. 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
12. Halloween (1978)
13. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
14. The Fly (1986)
15. Near Dark (1987)
16. Raw (2017)

17. The Innocents (1961)
18. The Rambler (2013)
19. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
20. Hereditary (2018)
21. House (1977)
22. Halloween (2018)
23. The Babadook (2014)
24. Bone Tomahawk (2015)
25. Fascination (1979)
criticker

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Kinda agree Rambond, but it had the horror tag so..
Which I find hilarious that certain films within the same series is deemed horror and others not. No other film in this series, not even the remake of this movie is tagged as horror, despite all of them containing the exact same elements. The TV show is tagged horror though.

I get it though, we needed guidelines for something like this.

Suspect's Reviews

this is absolutely not a horror film.... this is a crime thriller, just like silence of the lambs...
I think at this point you either need to lay out clear criteria (not examples, examples are easier than detailed standards) as to what constitutes horror and what doesn't. At the very least, there's no point in just saying "this is horror" or "this isn't horror" absent any further explanation, though.

The first guideline for the person voting should always be that they believe in what they're voting in. It doesn't matter if IMDb tags a movie as horror, if you don't believe it is horror, it can't be one of your 25 favorite horror movies.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I mentioned Manhunter earlier, if I believed it to be a horror it would be top 5 on my list but as Cricket says I don't think it is so didn't include it.

Welcome to the human race...
Psycho is the ultimate respect-but-don't-love-it movie. I had watched it once back in '06 or so and only felt inclined to revisit it recently because of this list, which I think is a level of disinterest that automatically disqualifies it from my favourites list. Hitchcock films in general always strike me as hard films to revisit, though.

The first guideline for the person voting should always be that they believe in what they're voting in. It doesn't matter if IMDb tags a movie as horror, if you don't believe it is horror, it can't be one of your 25 favorite horror movies.
This. Based on how much I like it The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane would have been an easy top-5 film for me but I just couldn't convince myself that it's horror.

Are we really still going on about this? It's just a list for good fun. See, I overreacted because of some stupid crap going on in my life for months, and against my better judgement. Otherwise, I would have just brought it up once and it would be the end of that.

What does it matter? This list doesn't control your opinion of horror movies, so there really isn't a problem in the long run. My eligible number one has no chance of getting on because die hard fans of the source material are pretty divided, and I'm gonna suck it the hell up. Plus, the first Alien is likely in the top four, and The Fly got a pleasant spot, so I'm happy.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Are we really still going on about this? It's just a list for good fun. See, I overreacted because of some stupid crap going on in my life for months, and against my better judgement. Otherwise, I would have just brought it up once and it would be the end of that.

What does it matter? This list doesn't control your opinion of horror movies, so there really isn't a problem in the long run. My eligible number one has no chance of getting on because die hard fans of the source material are pretty divided, and I'm gonna suck it the hell up. Plus, the first Alien is likely in the top four, and The Fly got a pleasant spot, so I'm happy.
People don't like to let things die.

What is dead may never die

A system of cells interlinked
I must say I am surprised to see The Exorcist place where it did. Thought for sure it would be top 2.

I had The Exorcist at # 2, and Psycho at # 3. I adore both films, and consider them both to be seminal classics of the genre.

Well, the Thing must be #3.

It's gotta be

3. The Thing
2. Alien
1. The Shining

Psycho would've placed easily on my list if I thought of it as horror. I did toy with the idea (because I now accept that it qualifies as horror) but it's not how I feel about it, so it didn't make it despite being a top 100 film for me.

The Exorcist was my #9. I've said it a few times throughout my years on the site, but it's the best made horror. I accept that there might be better ones now, as I haven't really watched much in the last 10 years. But I doubt it. Everything about that film is top notch and it's making sometime legendary.

Like some of you, I saw this at a young age (though not as young as some of you) and I didn't think that much of it back then. Probably too young to really understand a film like this. I was already aware of its reputation and I probably expected too much from it and in the most obvious way and I didn't get that. No one does because that's not what this film is all about. It was only later when I started to learn about film and filmmaking (yes, I actually know what I'm talking about ) that I really started to appreciate The Exorcist and not only as a horror film. It's highly inventive in terms of filmmaking with the technology of the time and the quality of everyone involved meant that the limits could be pushed in all areas.

Were my list a list of the best horror movies ever made and not how I like them or my personal connection to them, this would be my #1 and I'd be on the side arguing it should be everyone elses #1 too.

One more film of mine to appear. Probably won't be the #1 though. That'll be the boring one I feared would win and which some people on this site already know my opinion of.

People don't like to let things die.

What is dead may never die
Sorry to break it to the whole world, but said world doesn't run on "but I don't wanna." Not everyone's gonna get what they want, and a top 100 horror list is proof. Complaining about the rule now won't change the outcome, especially now that we're counting down the top 5.

Psycho's the most recent addition, and it's one of several movies that deserve a number 1 spot somewhere, so this is a good spot for it.

Besides, this is the only criteria I need for a horror movie: if it scares a lot of people/tries to scare a lot of people, it's horror.