Do you agree that "Scream" revolutionized the slasher genre?

Tools    

have your say about one of the best slasher films ever made, from one of the best directors, Wes Craven, do u think it did revolutionize the genre?

Master of My Domain
Technically it didnt revolutionize the genre, rather it made it popular because of its unique exploitation of horror movie cliches, amazing soundtrack and good acting.

A system of cells interlinked
No on both counts. Scream is a decent flick, but didn't revolutionize anything. It was self-aware, which was just sort of a sign of the times when the film came out, because self-aware, post-modernism had just become the in thing in the years preceding Scream's release. Also, Craven is not a great director. I liked A Nightmare on Elm Street, which was conceptually brilliant, but Craven has produced a ton of substandard stuff in his career, and is sort of the epitome of a hack in my mind.

Shocker, Swamp Thing, The People Under the Stairs... all pretty rough around the edges, B-movie fare. That said, the guy makes some pretty fun B-movies, to be sure, and is certainly not a bad director. I can't put the guy in the same arena with great directors like Kubrick or Scorsese, that's for sure.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Revolutionized? No. It revitalized it, though: making it popular again as well as injecting some much needed originality and quality to a genre that had been defined by listless sequels for well over a decade.

What's missed about Scream a lot is that it's more a parody than a serious slasher... as Sedai said, it's self aware... which I think is the only thing that makes it revolutionary from other slashers.

It's also the reason films like Scary Movie 1-500 are pointless. They're parodying a parody.

Scream has also been copied many a time, Urban Legend was one of the first. Self Aware and using a medium to drive the plot. In Scream the medium was real life horror films, in Urban Legend, it was obviously real life urban legends.

No on both counts. Scream is a decent flick, but didn't revolutionize anything. It was self-aware, which was just sort of a sign of the times when the film came out, because self-aware, post-modernism had just become the in thing in the years preceding Scream's release. Also, Craven is not a great director. I liked A Nightmare on Elm Street, which was conceptually brilliant, but Craven has produced a ton of substandard stuff in his career, and is sort of the epitome of a hack in my mind.

Shocker, Swamp Thing, The People Under the Stairs... all pretty rough around the edges, B-movie fare. That said, the guy makes some pretty fun B-movies, to be sure, and is certainly not a bad director. I can't put the guy in the same arena with great directors like Kubrick or Scorsese, that's for sure.
I agree with you that Scream didn't revolutionize the genre for exactly what you're saying. Nothing all that great has come after Scream. It was one of the last great things.

Don't agree with you that Wes Craven is a hack, which is another one of those mantras I hear a lot, such as "Family Guy sucks." Sure, Craven doesn't constantly churn out gold, but that doesn't matter. He's at least created some gold. The man created Freddy Krueger. That's a brilliant work of art right there. That and the first two Scream movies are profound works, I say, and good enough for me.

not revolutionized but still an amazing flick imo with many very good performance especially from Matthew Lillard who is funny as hell! Halloween is my favorite slasher movie though

I did enjoy The People Under The Stairs... found it kinda campy and comic-like. Although, it's been a few years since I saw it last.

I did enjoy The People Under The Stairs... found it kinda campy and comic-like. Although, it's been a few years since I saw it last.
I saw it for the first time a few years ago. It was really weird. I was also under the influence of cannabis, which made it even weirder. That guy in the S&M bondage outfit.....

at least as another one mentioned, he created the nightmare on elm street franchise, and off course the one and only, THE HILL HAVE EYES, HOW CAN WE FORGET THAT.

Lord High Filmquisitor
the one and only, THE HILL HAVE EYES
Hardly. There was also a sequel and a remake (and a sequel to the remake).

Scream earned its cinematic credentials and a permanent niche in movie history when they hired an A name actress by the name of Drew Barrymore and killed her character in the opening scene.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Scream earned its cinematic credentials and a permanent niche in movie history when they hired an A name actress by the name of Drew Barrymore and killed her character in the opening scene.

The TV show "Police Squad" did that every week. They hired a top name actor and listed him as "Special Guest Star", and then killed him off during the opening credits, literally right after saying his name. (The show was pretty funny, but unfortunately it only lasted for six episodes.)

The TV show "Police Squad" did that every week. They hired a top name actor and listed him as "Special Guest Star", and then killed him off during the opening credits, literally right after saying his name. (The show was pretty funny, but unfortunately it only lasted for six episodes.)
I've never seen Police Squad, but I do know that is a rarity in film.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've never seen Police Squad, but I do know that is a rarity in film.

It's on YouTube:

This is a link to the first episode. You should be able to find the rest of them from there. (The show only lasted for six episodes.)