The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Did you vote for Oklahoma, Citizen? I'm guessing gbg did and maybe Vamp as well.
No I didn't, actually, surprise But I do love it. It's one of the most popular musicals ever done and right this moment there's undoubtedly a production of Oklahoma going on somewhere off Broadway.

Yeah, safe bet that GBG and Vamp voted for it...and did Gideon turn in a list? I should go see if he did. I know he likes Oklahoma.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
What if there was an alternative universe where everything was opposite??? Post written on the alternative MoFo Top 100 50s Countdown might read like this:

The Cranes Are Flying is another one I have to watch, Jeez.
I won't be giving it a second chance. Doubt i'd like it. I'm not overly enthused. Not a fan of The Cranes Are Flying myself. I don't see myself going out of the way to watch the movie any time soon.
Doesn't take another universe. Being gbg is enough.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Cranes Are Flying is very poignant and powerful with some of the greatest B&W cinematography ever. I rate it
. Click on Watch on YouTube.

For those who feel the desire to shoot yourselves rather than watch Oklahoma!, the least I can do is provide you with some choices. I had it at #21, although I didn't expect it to make the list. From the mafo MoFo Top 100 -
Oklahoma! (Fred Zinnemann, 1955)

Oklahoma! probably ranks, along with The Wizard of Oz, as the film I saw on TV the most times by the time I was 12 years old. I loved that film! The beginning of the film was filmed completely outdoors, naturalistically, by Fred Zinnemann (High Noon, From Here to Eternity), and those wonderful songs at the beginning, "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'" and "The Surrey With the Fringe on Top" totally blew me away as a kid. Gordon MacRae, not exactly a household name nowadays, will always be significant to my family, if only for the first 20 minutes of this wonderful movie. I certainly had a crush on the object of his affections, Shirley Jones. I enjoy this film in its entirety, but sometimes it's attacked for being filmed on soundstages. Well, I agree that it is, but one of the production's greatest songs is the "Pore Jud is Daid" number with MacRae and Rod Steiger (very good after his On the Waterfront role), and that is done wonderfully on a soundstage.

Oklahoma! is awesome Americana and extremely funny. The relationships between the main characters couldn't be more realistic, no matter how outlandish they appear at first. The huge supporting cast includes the wonderful Gloria Grahame's Ado Annie ("I Can't Say No"), Gene Nelson, Charlotte Greenwood, Eddie Albert, James Whitmore, Barbara Lawrence and Jay C. Flippen. MacRae and Jones did reteam the next year for Rodgers and Hammerstein's Carousel, which I enjoy but cannot add to this list, but I will add another by the songwriting duo next.

I watched The Cranes are Flying in preparation for the countdown and I liked it well enough to put it at #23 on my list. Definitely a poignant look at how war affects a nation through the looking Glass of one family. It's not much of a war movie as very little is in the perspective of the soldiers, but Instead those left behind.

Have not seen Oklahoma!

My List:
23. The Cranes are Flying

The Cranes Are Flying is very poignant and powerful with some of the greatest B&W cinematography ever. I rate it
. Click on Watch on YouTube.

For those who feel the desire to shoot yourselves rather than watch Oklahoma!, the least I can do is provide you with some choices. I had it at #21, although I didn't expect it to make the list. From the mafo MoFo Top 100 -
How the bloody hell did you get a photo of my pistol collection?!?!?

I kid of course. I would never own a Glock.

By my count, I've only seen twenty something movies from the 50s... You guys are animals.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I'm guessing gbg did and maybe Vamp as well.
Yeah, safe bet that GBG and Vamp voted for it
Yeah, I was one of them that had Oklahoma on the list. I thoroughly enjoy that movie. I had it at #6.

I'm 0 for 4. Cranes is my #34, Wax is my #78, the other two I haven't seen.

I saw House of Wax many years ago, in the movie theater, and in 3D. The most memorable part was the paddle ball scene. I remember ducking in my seat to try to avoid getting hit by the ball.
Hah, I remember watching it at home and thinking "Why the hell are they centering out this paddle ball idiot?". I didn't find out till later it was originally a 3D movie.

I haven't seen Oklahoma! or House of Wax.

Marty barely missed the cut for my list. One of the best, most believable and down-to-earth romances I've seen. I love seeing character actors like Ernest Borgnine get a rare opportunity to carry a film and then watch them triumphantly knock it out of the park.

The Cranes Are Flying was another near miss for me. My write-up from the Movie Tab:

The Cranes Are Flying
(Mikhail Kalatozov, 1957)

Cinematography so masterful it threatens to overshadow both the film's emotional poignancy and its potent anti-war message. It's rare for me to pay more attention to how the camera is filming something as opposed to what the camera is filming, but I was in constant awe of the cinematographer's virtuosity -- from the effortless way the camera glides above crowds without losing track of our leading lady, to the fluidity of the long handheld takes, to the gorgeous usage of shadows and light, to the striking juxtaposition between foregrounds and backgrounds, and, in particular, the manner in which the cinematography so candidly mirrors and accentuates the inner turmoil of the characters. The composition in each and every scene is utter perfection. If I was an aspiring filmmaker and not a serial-killing clown, this is a film that I would study and absorb. Also, from what little I've read online, the cultural and historical significance of the film can't be exaggerated. The Cranes Are Flying is one of the first Russian films (maybe the first?) to capture the honest, brutal ramifications of World War II. Director Mikhail Kalatozov, finally free of Stalin's artistic suffocation, put forth onto celluloid the bruised, resilient soul of a war-ravaged nation grieving more casualties than any other country. And who better to give a face to that unbearable grief than the gorgeous, sturdy Tatiana Samoilova, whose eyes alone convey an endless depth of emotion. The Cranes Are Flying is a stunning achievement on many levels, possessing a masterpiece of cinematography and an all-time great performance by a leading lady, that explores the physical and psychological shambles that war leaves on a country and its people. A powerful film. An important film. A beautiful film.

Im sorry if I am getting all this wrong but so do we have too watch the Countdown list when its done. Sorry if I missed a rule somewhere

Oh I get it now The Count Down Kinda more or less the top 100 Is made by lets say our lists are kinda well nominations for movies and Raul and MOFO more or less selects a top 100 out of our combined lists

Im sorry if I am getting all this wrong but so do we have too watch the Countdown list when its done. Sorry if I missed a rule somewhere
Oh I get it now The Count Down Kinda more or less the top 100 Is made by lets say our lists are kinda well nominations for movies and Raul and MOFO more or less selects a top 100 out of our combined lists

I think you're kind of getting it now