The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

Das Boot (1981) 80's 1981 ‧ Drama/History ‧ 4h 53m

Yeah I did not wave runtime length I would suggest whomever picked that one to look over at the Documentary list they'll likely do much better.
There are multiple versions. When I watched it I saw the 149 min version that IMDb and Wiki lists.

Oh, soooo excited!
My thoughts
Fargo (1996) laughs, top 100, Ebert, 90's
I own this! But just never got around to watching it, I've liked but not loved what I've seen from the Coen Brothers so far, so I'm excited.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) 100 years, cheers, best picture, top 100, Ebert, 70's
Every movie I've seen from 1975 has been a masterpiece, including Barry Lyndon, Jaws, and the Holy Grail... let's hope this continues the trend, I love Amadeus by the same director.

Fight Club (1999) Film4's 50, top 100, 90's
My first Fincher!!! Probably a great starting place, I've heard very good things.

Apocalypse Now (1979) 100 years, sight & sound, Film4's 50, Cannes', top 100, Ebert, 70's
Question for anyone!! What cut of this should I watch? There are like five and I'm overwhelmed lol. That said, I'm looking forward to this, The Godfather is one of my faves.

The Red Shoes (1948) British, Ebert, 40's
This has peaked my interest for a while, VERY excited and I love Peeping Tom.

Vertigo (1958) 100 years, thrills, passions, sight & sound, top 100, Ebert, 50's
Oh, boy, I've been holding this off since I'm afraid I won't get it, but I've loved the two Hitchcocks I've seen, I just gotta get on this.

Amelie (2001) Top 100, Millennium
Was planning on watching this soon regardless of this HoF, so now I just get to watch it even sooner!

The Thing (1982) OFCS Sci-Fi, Horror, 80's, MoFo SciFi, horror 2019
We'll see how this goes, I'm really excited but haven't really heard anything about it.

L. A. Confidential (1997) Noirs, Ebert, 90's
Someone recommended this to me so I was also planning on watching this. Once again, now I just will sooner!

Casablanca (1942) 100 years, thrills, passions, cheers, sight & sound, best picture, top 100, Ebert, 40's
A CLASSIC, so excited!!!!

Paprika (2006) Animations
The most obscure one, but I loved Perfect Blue and heard this is a precursor to Inception (another movie I haven't seen)... looking forward to it.

A Woman Under the Influence (1974) Ebert, 70's
Have heard really nothing about this, but looking forward to it.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 100 years, cheers, Film4's 50, top 100, Ebert, 90's
Finally I have the excuse to watch this!!! I own it as well, so I probably will be sooner of the recs.

Rango (2011) Animations
Allegro Non Troppo (1976) Animations
A Scanner Darkly (2006) Animations
Mary and Max (2009) Animations

Eh....that's a lot of animation Allegro Non Troppo looks the most interesting.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) Passions, cheers, 60's

kicking myself for not recording this off TCM...when my library opens I should be able to get it.

The Gunfighter (1950) Westerns
Warlock (1959) Westerns

I just watched the Gunfighter last week so I can type up that review

The Day of the Jackal (1973) British

Good pick....might get my top spot

The Wailing (2016) Horror 2019

This is on my DVD queue this might also do very well

Das Boot (1981) 80's
The Big Combo (1955) Noirs
Stalag 17 (1953) 50's

They should be fine..I haven't heard of The Big Combo but I like noir.

Possession (1981) Horror 2019

bummed out...for the 31 Days of Horror I was going to do Lovecraftian horror and this was at the top of my list.

Apocalypse Now (1979) 100 years, sight & sound, Film4's 50, Cannes', top 100, Ebert, 70's
Question for anyone!! What cut of this should I watch? There are like five and I'm overwhelmed lol. That said, I'm looking forward to this, The Godfather is one of my faves.
I prefer the original theatrical. Flows better

The trick is not minding
I prefer the original theatrical. Flows better
Same. Redux is bloated with scenes that don’t add anything. Haven’t seen the most recent one.
Go with the original.

I'm jealous of some of your guys movie watches you got, some nice choices! OK here's mine and some brief comments:

Citizen Rules watches-

The Mission (1986) Cannes'....Never heard of it, it could be cool.

Bambi (1942) Animations, 40's....My wife will be happy with this one as we watch all the movies together.

Oldboy (2003) Millennium, Comics....Hopefully not too violent for me and my wife.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) British, Ebert, comics....I've wanted to watch this for a long time.

Paper Moon (1973) 70's....I'm sure I'll love this.

Diabolique (1955) 50's, horror 2019....It's an important film I needed to watch.

Before Sunrise (1995) 90's....Isn't there like two more of these in the series?

The 39 Steps (1935) British, 30's....Sounds cool and I've read about it before.

Harakiri (1962) Ebert, 60's....I take it you guy think I need to see more foreign films

Chinatown (1974) 100 years, thrills, sight & sound, Film4's 50, noirs, top 100, Ebert, 70's....The best known film, I haven't seen...yet!

The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) Thrills, 40's....Been meaning to watch for years.

Mulholland Drive (2001) Noirs, Millennium, Ebert...A David Lynch film, could be cool.

The Muppet Movie (1979) 70's....I thought GBgoodies didn't join I use to watch The Muppet TV show and liked it, so this could be cool.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

The trick is not minding
You might want to avoid Diabolique , Chinatown and Oldboy with the wife
Seconded on Oldboy, it is very violent.
Chinatown might be ok, but there are a few scenes that are rough.

You might want to avoid Diabolique , Chinatown and Oldboy with the wife
I don't watch movies alone, I don't have the time to do that. We watch a few hours of movies in the evening after the work day is done. My wife watches all HoF movies with me, I swear she should get a vote

Moon (2009) Millennium, MoFo SciFi
The Narrow Margin (1952) Noirs
Le Cercle Rouge (1970) 70's
Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) British, Ebert
E.T. (1982) 100 years, thrills, cheers, OFCS Sci-Fi, Ebert, 80's, MoFo SciFi
A Clockwork Orange (1971) 100 years, thrills, British, OFCS Sci-Fi, top 100, MoFo SciFi
Children of Paradise (1945) Sight & sound, Ebert, 40's
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) Animations
Ride the Pink Horse (1947) 40's
Koyaanisqatsi (1982) Docs
Gattaca (1997) OFCS Sci-Fi, MoFo SciFi
Le Samourai (1967) Noirs, Ebert, 60's
Amelie (2001) Top 100, Millennium

Damn this was a good list..so many different shades of noir...and two Melville's

I don't watch movies alone, I don't have the time to do that. We watch a few hours of movies in the evening after the work day is done. My wife watches all HoF movies with me, I swear she should get a vote

note to self: definitely nominate Antichrist for Citizen's next hall

Eyes Wide Shut
I say I don't like Stanley Kubrick and someone gives me Kubrick.

Brick
I don't really know anything about this.

The Fly
I just noticed, to my, uh, horror, that I neglected to include Horror in my list of dislikes. I did, however, specify that I don't generally like Sci-Fi. Sigh. We'll see how this goes.

Mystic River
I tried watching this once and turned it off. That was over ten years ago though. Hopefully this time will be better.

Pickup on South Street
A 50s movie. Hopefully the acting isn't wooden.

Near Dark
Horror. I blame myself. Hopefully this will be one of the few non-comedy exceptions.

Starship Troopers
Sci-Fi. Maybe this will be bad good? Like so bad it's good? I sure hope so.

Drive
Can't say I've ever had any desire to watch this.

The Wicker Man
More horror. We shall see.

Peeping Tom
More horror. And old horror. Oh boy.

The 25th Hour
I generally have a bias against any film that has anything to do with the 9/11 attacks. Just feels like a cheap way to get audience sympathy. We'll see how this goes.

Judgment at Nuremberg
A 60s courtroom drama? Okay.

A History of Violence
I can't say that I really know anything about this movie.