Psycho (1960) Overrated?

→ in
Tools    

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by PigsnieLite
Was the legend of Hell house later than Psycho? Oh yeah, it musta been becuz it was in color...
The above quote was from 2001. I find the reasoning here pretty funny. PigsnieLite determines that The Legend of Hell House had to be after Psycho because Hell House was in color. I guess that means Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz had to be after Psycho as well.

I have many reasons for loving Psycho, but I'm saving my comments for a future review at Movie Reviews 4 Fun (future Film List 51 to 60 is going to be all Hitchcock films).
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Mark
The above quote was from 2001. I find the reasoning here pretty funny. PigsnieLite determines that The Legend of Hell House had to be after Psycho because Hell House was in color. I guess that means Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz had to be after Psycho as well.
Took the words out of my mouth...but watch out!! There is a whole slew of people out there who will argue until the bitter end that The Wizard of Oz is colorized (They are incorrect and need to do some research...) Ugggg, where is Holden when you need him.

Can't wait for your comments on the Hitchcock stuff!!

In Tyler We Trust
Iam Terribly sorry for my rude behavior

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Mark
I have many reasons for loving Psycho, but I'm saving my comments for a future review at Movie Reviews 4 Fun (future Film List 51 to 60 is going to be all Hitchcock films).
This sounds VERY good to hear. Keep me posted about this so that i can wobble whilst reading all your thoughts on the wonder of Hitch...

If you dont keep me posted...you shall experience more Horror than hitch could ever translate to the silver screen....oh yes....

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by Sedai
Can't wait for your comments on the Hitchcock stuff!!
Originally Posted by blibblobblib
This sounds VERY good to hear. Keep me posted about this so that i can wobble whilst reading all your thoughts on the wonder of Hitch...
Hmmm. Maybe I jumped the gun a little bit in mentioning it. I should explain that Film List 51 to 60 is over 23 weeks away. Our next list, 41 to 50 starts in three weeks, and we're going away from films we've never seen before to films that are considered all-time classics (eg. The Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc.). The Hitchcock list will come after that, sometime this winter. Sorry.

Originally Posted by Psion
Iam Terribly sorry for my rude behavior

Nicely done… and you just got rep points (good ones) from me for apologizing instead of resorting to more rudeness… Please remember in the future that this forum is open to children… thanks…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

In Tyler We Trust
i will thank you

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Nicely done… and you just got rep points (good ones) from me for apologizing instead of resorting to more rudeness… Please remember in the future that this forum is open to children… thanks…
I don't get it. I'm still new here but why are you so hard on him for his first comment "If your smart enough etc.." ? I don't think he was trying to be an ass, he just used a couple of words irresponsibly and I'm sure was just meaning to say somthing like "If you watch closely" or "If you really focus". I dont think he deserved a lecture on it but mabe just a warning. Unless it was of course his second comment of which was deleted that put him over the top.

Originally Posted by Escape
Unless it was of course his second comment of which was deleted that put him over the top.
Trust me, it was his second comment that is thankfully no longer available for us to see. Involved all manner of gross words and images....grim grim grim.

Originally Posted by Escape
I don't get it. I'm still new here but why are you so hard on him for his first comment "If your smart enough etc.." ? I don't think he was trying to be an ass, he just used a couple of words irresponsibly and I'm sure was just meaning to say somthing like "If you watch closely" or "If you really focus". I dont think he deserved a lecture on it but mabe just a warning. Unless it was of course his second comment of which was deleted that put him over the top.
His first comment would have only drawn a question from me as to exactly how he meant it because, like you, I realize people don’t always mean things the way they sound… So Blib is correct… it was his second comment that left no doubt as to what he meant that actually caused the problem… We do have people sign up from time to time who only seem interested in making personal attacks against other members… but Psion apologized which leads me to believe he is not one of those and is actually more interested in talking about movies and having fun… so I hope we can all move on and do just that…

Thanks Blib...

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
His first comment would have only drawn a question from me as to exactly how he meant it because, like you, I realize people don’t always mean things the way they sound… So Blib is correct… it was his second comment that left no doubt as to what he meant that actually caused the problem… We do have people sign up from time to time who only seem interested in making personal attacks against other members… but Psion apologized which leads me to believe he is not one of those and is actually more interested in talking about movies and having fun… so I hope we can all move on and do just that…

Thanks Blib...

Gotcha

And this is my BOOMstick!
I'm sorry if this is too rude but whoever said that "Stuck On You" was bad deserves to get stabbed in the eye with a fork!
The movie is funny, kind and very original. It has many fun parts thoughtout it, but what makes it so gay is that the directors don't in any way make fun of the brothers' disability, they don't praise it, they focus on showing the stupidity of those who laugh and mock the protagonist(s.) The message that the Farrely brothers are trying to get across is great, and on top of all that the ending of the movie is fantastic and heart-warming. It's a wonderful movie, full of laughs for people of all ages, and I strongly recommend it to anyone.

get ya forks ready nitz, ive got mine. Stuck on you was awful. Your right that it has a nice message, good morals, and some good stars. but as a movie. its really rubbish. Well i think it is anyway.

But let us remember, this is the PSYCHO thread. so we should discuss that. And not conjoined twins...unless there were conjoined twins in PSYCHO??

A post of my extreme disagreement to the person who originally posted this thread - I DISAGREE.

Psycho - Alfred Hitchcock, those names go hand in hand with contribution to American Film. Technique, technique, technique. Yes, I'll say it, the shower scene. Something to be studied and watched over and over again and again. The jump cuts, the metric montage, the framing, the use and range of scale = beautiful. Don't ever bad mouth A-Man (Alfred H.) again.

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle
Don't ever bad mouth A-Man (Alfred H.) again.
A-Man - Secret and more geeky brother of He-Man. Beware his mighty directing power!

I fall squarely into the camp that thinks Psycho is a masterpiece.
From Perkins' performance to the wonderful camera techniques (PimDaShizzle is right on the mark this time), to Bernard Hermann's incredible score - everything works magnificently. This is my third favorite Hitch, after Rebecca and Notorious (yes, I even prefer it to Rear Window, but just barely).
I know that these days, the explanation at the end seems pedantic, but you have to consider it in the context of the times: psychology was not as much a part of popular culture as it is now. And personally I love that last shot of Norman.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I'm starting to hate the term "overrated"... so vague...
Anyway, Psycho was, as was stated, groundbreaking in plot and technique. So no, there's no way it could be overrated unless we, you know, made it a religion or something.

Funny side-note: telling a story that was sympathetic to the killer was so "out of the norm" at the time that friends of Hitchcock's came out of the movie unable to quite look him in the eye, per Suzanne Plechette, a class I took. She said there was all the typical manic hubbub going in, and coming out, no one knew where to look and just went home after. hee!

film making extraordinaire
Overrated my ass. This movie was done extremely well and paved the way for many great films over the last fourty years. If you watch the camera angles, and the way this film is put together, it does done extremely well, as well as many movies we see today. Also the idea of multipersonality was an extremely original idea then, one that we take for granted because it is so overused today, because of psycho and its success from the 60s.

I usually stay out of these overrated film discusions but you've got to look at the film in its context. Hitchcock was 60 years old making a low budget horror film and not just hanging in there but making most horror films past and to that presant day look okay. Name me 10 horror films that are substantially better from 1960 and older. plus I may be going out on a limb here but I think Hitchcock was extremely interested in the inner workings of a psychopath and not to quick to give you the scares. It's more of a distrubing film than it is scary. I find sometimes distrubing to be more horrific and tends to last in my mind for a lot longer.