Horror films from children’s books IP

Tools    

I’m thinking of stuff like Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey (whoever came up with the title — my condolences) and the upcoming Mickey Mouse horror film.

What’s up with that? Is it just an ‘up yours’ sort of thing? I suppose it all stems from It in one way or another, but I’m not sure what about these characters screams ‘That’ll make for a splendid horror!’. It’s not even the ‘why not come up with original IP’ part that seems odd here, just that it feels very much an ‘I’ll do it because I can’ exercise. On the other hand, I acknowledge I’m probably not seeing the full picture here, and it could be that putting a familiar toy in an unfamiliar context would feed interest, if nothing else.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67861538

What’s up with that? Is it just an ‘up yours’ sort of thing?
Yes.

THREAD CLOSED
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I think that "what if it's [famous character/fairy tale/folklore/etc] but scary/sexy/edgy!" can be the sign of a very lazy mind at work.

Though sometimes a reimagining of a classic story or a new spin does yield something worthwhile, like Freeway.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
I think that "what if it's [famous character/fairy tale/folklore/etc] but scary/sexy/edgy!" can be the sign of a very lazy mind at work.

Though sometimes a reimagining of a classic story or a new spin does yield something worthwhile, like Freeway.

That's what I was saying to the kid that works for me earlier. It's lazy writing. "Hey - what if we made Winnie the Poo a serial killer? What if we made Steamboat Willie a cannibal?" - come up with your own stuff.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Basically, some people write movies with all the imagination of the people who design bootleg T-shirts with Calvin peeing on something or Mr. Rogers threatening someone with a gun.

Oh, I get it! You took a kid thing and made it crude/adult!

I think that, at best, some of these ideas can produce a decent 4-minute SNL skit. (Yes, I'll admit that I loved the "gritty origin story" of Mario Kart with Pedro Pascal).

Like most things, I think it was clever exactly once but quickly devolves into "OK, let's do that again, but this time with <character x>."

The first one I remember offhand was The Banana Splits and at the time I thought that had the potential to be a fun idea. (Never bothered to find out).
After that it just becomes lazy, as others have pointed out.

The weirdest aspect of this general drift are creepy videos on YouTube which masqueraded as kids video (e.g., the Wiggles, Dora, Bear in the Big Blue House). I guess the idea was to lure kids in and give them the creeps. At least with a major motion picture, you know what you're getting into.

Culture IS appropriation. The churn never stops. Sometimes it's offensive to us (most people have been triggered by at least one episode of South Park), but tales are told and retold, rearranged and repurposed.

I'm reminded of those After School Satan clubs for kids.
The Satanists are kind of the canary in the coal mine for the church-state divide and a sore test of our commitment to 1A protections. At the point that I feel I must insist that these programs should not be allowed, I am reminded that this is how other people feel about Christian proselytizing in K-12 education. Meantime, a new religion is dominating public education, resulting in adults stammering to answer formerly simple questions about sex and gender (even Supreme Court nominees will refer to you to a biologist). The churn never stops. Push down the carpet in one area and it pops up in another. I can say, sadly and frankly, that I now understand why old people who have now passed would stick to media from their time. I thought they were staid and stodgy. Now, I get it. The herd moves on. At a certain point you no longer wish to move with it. You don't belong. You don't want to see Winnie the Serial Killer Pooh Bear.

It's the slasher subgenre's way of turning to literature for inspiration. Sadly, these are the only books these people know.

It's the slasher subgenre's way of turning to literature for inspiration. Sadly, these are the only books these people know.
Well, we should perhaps recollect that old-school folk tales were often slasher-tales for kids. The tales collected by the brothers Grimm were rather grim, no? Disney sanitized, capitalized and captured our fairy tales, but before they were colonized by Disney, they were a hell of a lot more Raimi.