Most awesome movies involving Moms

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Mildred Pierce (1945) - Mildred Pierce
Imitation of Life (1959) - Lora Meredith and Annie Johnson
White Heat (1949) - Ma Jarrett
Stella Dallas (1937) - Stella Dallas

Those are all iconic choices. Anyone who has seen them will understand why.

I actually enjoy the 1934 version of Imitation of Life more, with Claudette Colbert and Louise Beavers as the mothers. Louise Beavers and her daughter, played by Fredi Washington, could obviously be mentioned over at this thread where I was discussing strong black characters in films before/after the time of Gone With the Wind.

As far as Barbara Stanwyck in Stella Dallas, that's an incredible performance and an incredible mom in a classic tearjerker with a powerful ending.

Mother is a lot of fun. It's ultimately an excuse to listen to Albert Brooks do his thing, but there's some sweetness to go with the comedy, and though it's not always laugh-out-loud funny, it's pretty witty at times.

"I love you, honey!"
"I know you think you do."

angelica huston - ever after - rodmilla de ghent
nina foch and martha scott - ten commandments -bithia and yocabel
lillian gish - sweet liberty - cecillia burgess
lauren bacall - mirror has two faces - hannah morgan

Not to be too dramatic , but The Passion of Christ has one of the most amazing Mothers of all.

step Mom and because i said so is the best for me

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I can't believe I forgot this movie. [IMG][/IMG]

Imitation of Life

It deals with two mothers, one white and one black. Annie's (the black woman) issues with her daughter are especially heartbreaking because the daughter can pass for white and chooses to do so.

It's another tearjerker, but it deals with some serious issues. I haven't seen it for awhile, and I am inspired for a rewatch.

Too bad the movie felt called upon to turn her into a tramp sleeping with the principal. That didn't happen in the book and I think the movie mom was smart enough to have come up with another way to get what she wanted. (Besides, Sally Fields doesn't look like a screamer to me.)

angelica huston - ever after - rodmilla de ghent
nina foch and martha scott - ten commandments -bithia and yocabel
lillian gish - sweet liberty - cecillia burgess
lauren bacall - mirror has two faces - hannah morgan
Lillian Gish played some tough moms, fighting off Comanches and hanging her family's tormentor in The Unforgiven (1960) and standing guard with a shotgun over her charges as the surrogate mom, Mrs. Cooper, against the evil Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter (1955)

White Heat (1949) - Ma Jarrett
Ma Jarrett was played by an English actress, Margaret Wycherly, who did most of her work on stage. Her first movie role was as a mom every bit as tough but much more saintly than Ma Jarrett, the mother of Sergeant York, starring Gary Cooper. She was nominated for an Oscar as best supporting actress for her York role.

Angela Lansbury in The Manchurian Candidate.

Beula Bondi played Jimmy Stewart's sweet ol' mom in It's A Wonderful Life and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, but she turned into a pinched mouth spiteful ol' biddy whose hate for her brother-in-law gets her own son killed in The Shepard of the Hills (1941).

I am half agony, half hope.
Beth Morgan in How Green Was My Valley, played by Anna Lee.

Johann von Goethe

Movie Forums Member
Wisegal starring Alyssa Milano, Dolores Claiborne starring Cathy Bates, ummmmmmmmmm Troop Beverly HIlls starring Shelly Long.

Movie Forums Member
Wisegal starring Alyssa Milano, Dolores Claiborne starring Cathy Bates, ummmmmmmmmm Troop Beverly HIlls starring Shelly Long.
OMG I totally forgot about Troop Beverly Hills (where has Shelly Long been?) I'm not sure if I agree with Cathy Bates in Delores Claiborne...she killed her husband!!!! I haven't seen Wisegal yet but I know it's going to be on Lifetime this Saturday at 9. I'll check it out and let you know what I think!

Here is another movie I thought of, Terms of Endearment!! That's a cryfest.

Too bad the movie felt called upon to turn her into a tramp sleeping with the principal. That didn't happen in the book and I think the movie mom was smart enough to have come up with another way to get what she wanted. (Besides, Sally Fields doesn't look like a screamer to me.)

I didn't particularly think that scene turned her into a tramp... but if it did, then what did it turn the principle into?

Has anyone said Aliens? It definitely had a mother… and is an awesome movie…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I didn't particularly think that scene turned her into a tramp... but if it did, then what did it turn the principle into?
The principal obviously was already an unprincipled crud to exploit his position of power and her vulnerability and to base his decisions not on what was best for the child but what was best for him. How much lower could he go?

I just think that the mother, especially as played by Sally Fields, was capable of using her mind to get around the principal rather than her body to seduce him. If she did that to get Forrest into the school program, what would she then have to do to keep him there? Going to bed with the principal gives him power over her because he now knows what she will do for her son. Having her outsmart the principal and achieve her goal by other means gives her power over him. I think the mother deserved better treatment from the scriptwriter instead of that smirking scene (which is not in the book). It's the only scene in the film in which she is not a strong, admirable person.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I just saw that as a funny moment in the movie. Go figure.

An odd mother and quirky (who serves finger foods for dinner every night): Cher in Mermaids.

I've never seen Albert Brooks' Mother... but I've always liked Debbie Reynolds... so am adding it to my too see list...
She's adorable in Mother. I loved it. I also never knew that freezer-burn serves a purpose.

I came across these last night, while going through my photobucket account . . .