Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Arclight Films[1]., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=21652299

Lake Mungo - (2008)

How on earth did I now know about this movie? Lake Mungo is my kind of thing - creepy in exactly the right kind of way and very clever in the way it goes about building atmosphere without overplaying it's hand. The cards this mock-documentary deals out at the start aren't exactly all that they appear to be at first, and there's much sleight of hand, but the disorientation you feel has already taken your mind to an unsettled place, which this film will exploit to terrifying effect. So many horror films become goofy because they feel the need to go a little too far, but Lake Mungo, much like 'found footage' films such as Willow Creek and The Blair Witch Project, feels grounded. When their daughter, Alice (Talia Zucker), drowns in an accident at an Ararat dam in Victoria, parents June (Rosie Traynor) and Russell (David Pledger) try to make sense of the strange events that start occurring, leading to a series of discoveries that shine a light on the life Alice lived, and it's many secrets. The final reveal spooked the hell out of me, and for that I tip my hat, but Lake Mungo is an excellent film overall. Joel Anderson, who has never made another feature before or since, put this together with a deft hand. Jordan Peele is on record as saying this is one of the films that has scared him the most - and I believe him, for it did the same to me.

8/10

By Derived from a digital capture (photo/scan) of the Film Poster/ VHS or DVD Cover. Copyright held by the film company or the artist. Claimed as fair use regardless., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1439395

Ghostwatch - (1992)

In 1938 Orson Welles created some controversy for himself by staging a War of the Worlds radio play that used the same template the found footage and faux documentary genres would years later - ie, it was purported to be real. The idea goes back further, for example the 1897 Bram Stoker novel Dracula, which instead of 'found footage' was 'found documents/letters' purporting to be real and simply allayed to the reader. During the early 90s the BBC decided to try this out with Ghostwatch, a kind of faux-reality TV show which at first appears to be of the familiar kooky and innocent kind until all hell breaks loose, people start calling in from all over England reporting activity and even the studio is overwhelmed by the paranormal. Well known figures like Michael Parkinson, Sarah Greene, Mike Smith and Craig Charles gave it a veneer of realness, and for those who missed the various "this is fiction" signifiers it was particularly hair-raising. Howling cats, apparitions and some horrifying stories told by locals add to the spook factor - and it deserves credit for pre-dating Blair Witch Project, which came much later in the decade. Now and then it gets a little flaky/crazy, and there was never any danger acting awards were going to be snared by anyone involved, but it goes about what it does the right way and you do get a sense of unease during the slow descent into madness.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

'Blackberry' (2023)

Directed by Matt Johnson

Enjoyed this alot more than I thought I would, but then I'm a fan of Matt Johnson's style of film-making. Howerton, Baruchel and Johnson are all fine as the trio who launched the 'world's first smartphone', only to then see it crushed by the iPhone on it's release.

I have no idea if it's accurate, historically speaking, but I enjoyed the ride. And the soundtrack is awesome (Joy Division, Elastica, Slint etc)

7.6/10

Excellent sweet & sad movie.

"Inception"
The storyline was on point, the visuals were mind-blowing, and the performances were off the charts. I'd give it a solid 5 out of 5 stars, no doubt.

The Kid Brother, 1927

Harold Hickory (Harold Lloyd) is the relatively gentle youngest son in a family of tough-guy brothers and a father (Olin Frances) who is the sheriff. Conflict arises when Harold hits it off with a young woman named Mary (Jobyna Ralston), who is attached to a shady medicine show that rolls into town. When a shocking robbery occurs, can Harold prove himself to his father and to Mary?

Grounded in a sweet romance and some enjoyable physical comedy setpieces, this is a fun romp.

Full review

The Freshman, 1925

Harold Lamb (Harold Lloyd) is a young man who is eager to make a big splash in his first year at college, specifically with dreams of being a star football player. Having seen what popularity looks like in the movies, he’s created a persona for himself (“Speedy”) that he believes is his ticket to success. Harold meets the sweet Peggy (Jobyna Ralston), but is not so successful in his football endeavors, where he’s drafted onto the team as a joke by the star player (Brooks Benedict).

Endearing and wonderfully absurd, this classic silent comedy is a feel-good time.

Full review

Sharknado (2013)

That was better than I thought it was going to be. Ridiculous plot but worked fine and it was over before I realized all the time was gone. This ain't your run-of-the-mill b-horror fare, the acting is good, the story solid, very entertaining and uplifting. If you got rid of the silly flying shark idea and replaced it with something more serious this could easily be a 7 but I'm going to have to say 5.

5/10

I forgot the opening line.

By Impawards The poster art copyright is believed to belong to the distributor of the film, the publisher of the film or the graphic artist., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=49225607

Aligarh - (2015)

At face value, I'm considering Aligarh a brave kind of film to make for Indian audiences, with homosexuality recriminalized in 2013 (for a short while anti-gay laws had been deemed unconstitutional) and, after Aligarh came out, once again made legal in 2018. Obviously contentious in this modern era, where citizens feel compelled to demand the same freedom many others around the world have. Although it's based on a real person, Ramchandra Siras (played by Manoj Bajpayee) it makes a point of telling us that license has been taken to dramatize the true events. Still, when you go over the facts, it's pretty faithful to what happened - two unidentified men with a camera burst into his house one night while he was in bed with his lover, after which he was fired from the university he taught at. Nobody questioned the legality of his house being invaded, or the fact that homosexuality was no longer considered criminal behaviour, so the case went to court. The charismatic Rajkummar Rao plays a reporter who ends up becoming a close, personal friend of Siras - devastated by what was to follow. Really solid. Well liked. Well rated. It might be a little "TV movie of the week", but Bajpayee and Rao are a pleasure to watch, and Siras deserves to have at least been an influence and catalyst for change.

7.5/10

'New Religion' (2023)

Directed by Keishi Kondo

Very ambitious debut film from Keishi Kondo. It's a Japanese arthouse psychological drama horror that deals with grief. The production values are pretty low and some of the narrative follows a well trodden path but at the same time there's a real sense of talent directing wise here.

A mother turns to prostitution after a tragedy in her family. One of her clients is obsessed with photographing her spine, her feet and progressively other parts of her body. Then it gets weird.

There's a real Nicolas Winding-Refn vibe in parts of this film (which is a good thing). There's perhaps not quite enough meet on the bones for anyone who wants a traditional horror thriller (no jump scares, no gore, not much violence). It's all in the mind. So for those who like to be challenged, there is a puzzle to be solved which might offer additional satisfaction on repeat viewings. Keishi Kondo is one to watch.

7.1/10

Speedy, 1928

Pop Dillon (Bert Woodruff) owns the last horse-drawn trolley in town, and a local big business man wants to buy Pop’s line to seize control of the trolly game. But Pop doesn’t want to sell, and a young man named Speedy (Harold Lloyd) who is in love with Pop’s granddaughter, Jane (Anny Christy), pitches in to help Pop out. But the bad guys are willing to go to further and further extremes to drive Pop out of the trolley business.

On the whole, this is a fun and engaging comedy with great setpieces and a range of winning subplots.

Full review

The Hands of Orlac, 1924

Paul Orlac (Conrad Veidt) is a successful concert pianist, married to his wife,Yvonne (Alexandra Sorina). Tragically, Paul is grievously injured in a horrific train wreck that costs him a head injury and the loss of both hands. When Yvonne begs the doctor to do what he can to save Paul’s hands, the doctor grafts new hands onto Paul’s body--hands that came from a man executed for murder. Troubled when he learns the truth about the new hands, Orlac becomes convinced that they remain possessed by their former owner’s murderous impulses. And sure enough, violence soon follows.

Stunning imagery and a wonderful ambiguity made this a powerful supernatural drama/thriller.

Full review

Latest watches:
Office Uprising 2018

Viy 1967
+
Kill Command 2019

Dark River 2017

War And Peace Part 1: Andrey Bolkonskiy 1965
+
War And Peace Part 2: Natasha Rostova 1965
+
War And Peace Part 3: The Year 1812 1967