Movies that were a waste of time and film

Tools    

Skyfall - although it could have been made much better.
Yes.

Others would be Last Call (1991), son of mask, most american pie films and also whatever Adam Sandler has done in the last 7-8 years.

I think "All Emmerich Films" is a bit harsh too.

Most Emmerich films is more suited.
He's made 3 that are ok... Independence Day, Universal Soldier and Godzilla.

Captain of #yoloswag
Roland Emmerich doesn't make GOOD films necessarily, but man if Independence Day isn't a blast to watch I don't know what is. I can never turn it off once I start. Awful acting, cheap effects, plot holes, the whole nine yards. But dangit it's a classic.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
THANK YOU!!! It completely gauls me that Tyler Perry has a Hollywood career at all and I think everything he has done is a waste. I think the characters he creates perpetuate the worst black stereotypes out there and I find about 98% of his work to be beyond offensive.
You've watched enough Tyler Perry movies to comment on "98% of his work"? What's "beyond offensive" mean?

Emmerich tends to border racism a lot... his stereotyping of anything outside the U.S gets boring...

... for a German bloke, his hard-on for the USA is a bit disturbing really.

This thread title confuses me. Is it just another "movies we hate" thread? Because we've got lots of those. Or is it asking something more specific--say, about films that weren't bad, so much as superfluous or unnecessary, like the second and third Hangover films?

Captain of #yoloswag
You've watched enough Tyler Perry movies to comment on "98% of his work"? What's "beyond offensive" mean?
While I respect that you're pointing out holes in a comment, please tell me you're not actually defending Tyler Perry...

Captain of #yoloswag
"... for a German bloke, his hard-on for the USA is a bit disturbing really."

It's a weird mixture of flattering/disturbing/arousing.

Oh come on. Every single one? This broad sweeping statement either comes from the fact that you HATE DiCaprio, and therefore generalize. OR, you have actually seen every movie he's been in and hate them all...

...I doubt the latter is true. It's fine to hate Leo, but maybe grin and bear in some films because they are still good films even if he's in them.

I'm the exact opposite, I adore him in every way. Even if you don't though, Inception?!?! I mean come one, Inception was amazing.

I was replying to Nuwell....Meaning all DeCaprio movies can use less DeCaprio. I liked Inception and Titanic.

Originally Posted by NuWell
DeCaprio could have been less....DeCaprio at some points, mostly when he gets angry.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? is brilliant. But as I suggested above, it's not really clear how people are taking this question. Most seem to just be listing movies they don't like, usually without elaboration.

Not a fan of DiCaprio either tbh.

His natural accent sounds fake... and he's rubbish at faking other accents too... which is just weird.

I think blanketing films because of one actor is a bit moot though... even though I do it myself with Nicholas Cage...

Captain of #yoloswag
I was replying to Nuwell....Meaning all DeCaprio movies can use less DeCaprio. I liked Inception and Titanic.
...yeah that's probably fair. He is a bit overwhelming at times.

I should absolutely hate Mel Gibson's The Patriot for its anti-British, flag-waving grossness. However, its one of my favourite films, especially when you know how insane the 'new nation' later becomes!

I loved Oh Brother...downright hilarious and the music is top notch. I just saw the animated movie, Turbo and I feel like it was the 50th time I've seen that dog and pony show. It was exhausting and a waste of time.

Anyway, I'll add Paranormal Activity franchise to the collection.

Supposedly scary and stuff and the marketing showed audiences cowering behind their popcorn buckets...

I just found them mediocre, badly written and not scary in the slightest.
The bad shooting style is confusing too... supposedly done on CCTV and Handheld cameras... yet there's a backing track over the audio and a rumbly sound just before a scare happens...

... never known that to happen in anyone else's home videos... a rumble before something of any significance happens...

I noticed the same on Cloverfield... there's non-diegetic music in some scenes that depict the nature of what is happening... which is odd, because of the nature of the film being a home video. Although Cloverfield rocks, so that one doesn't count in this thread.

I just saw the animated movie, Turbo and I feel like it was the 50th time I've seen that dog and pony show. It was exhausting and a waste of time.
Exactly. I think this is a good example of what I mean. Movies that were a "waste of time and film" can't just mean "bad movies," or else this thread doesn't have much reason to exist. But CGI family films that look like they've been churned out by a movie mill are a good example of a film which isn't just bad--or might not even be that bad at all--but is sort of a "waste."

Leo is a legend. He is on another level, compared to most "stars" available today. Best of this generation by a long shot!

A system of cells interlinked
O' Brother, Where Art Thou? is another example.
Don't blaspheme in here. O Brother is an absolutely brilliant film; worth watching for the cinematography alone.

... never known that to happen in anyone else's home videos... a rumble before something of any significance happens...
Ah, so you have seen quite a few paranormal events in person, have you? Or perhaps on other home videos? The sounds are part of the paranormal event we are allegedly seeing.

Don't blaspheme in here. O Brother is an absolutely brilliant film; worth watching for the cinematography alone.
But wasn't that good to warrant a place in your top ten listing.