Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Haven't watched Synchronic though.
Seen it, didn't like it as much as the other two. I think I rated it 2/5, IIRC.

While I would probably overall rate The Endless a bit higher than Resolution, the latter has a grimy charm to it and sits in this low-key sci-fi/horror space that I find very appealing.
Agreed.
That scene in the French archaeologist's trailer was excellent, probably my favorite in the film. Very Lynch-esque.

The Delta Force (1986)

I saw this many years ago, I think the last time on one of the cable movie channels where it played on repeat for months. I also remember it in the rental stores on VHS in the 80s and 90s. I forgot though what it was about. I thought it was going to be a guerrilla warfare in the jungle movie but was I surprised. I've been drawing these out of a hat without much previewing so really its all a random gamble. Good movie though, despite its current political relevance, as in my opinion you can take your politics and foreign affairs and go for a long walk off a short pike because I don't care.

Happy Thanksgiving

7/10

Left Behind (2014)

This movie has an extremely low rating on IMDb, 3.1. Hard to say why because it isnt that bad, nowhere as bad as The Monitors or Benjamin Button or Phone Booth. About a notch better than your average TV movie. Not a classic, not trash, not boring, not cutting edge. I'd rather see this than The Brothers Grimm that I just watched.

6/10

I forgot the opening line.
The Delta Force (1986)

I saw this many years ago, I think the last time on one of the cable movie channels where it played on repeat for months. I also remember it in the rental stores on VHS in the 80s and 90s. I forgot though what it was about. I thought it was going to be a guerrilla warfare in the jungle movie but was I surprised. I've been drawing these out of a hat without much previewing so really its all a random gamble. Good movie though, despite its current political relevance, as in my opinion you can take your politics and foreign affairs and go for a long walk off a short pike because I don't care.
My only problem with this movie was seeing Lee Marvin so sick and frail - although even that is better than no Lee Marvin at all.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Agreed.
That scene in the French archaeologist's trailer was excellent, probably my favorite in the film. Very Lynch-esque.
I also (and this is a MAJOR SPOILER for anyone who hasn't seen the film!) love that a movie
WARNING: spoilers below
literally called "resolution" has an ending that is wonderfully ambiguous. And not in the annoying, "we couldn't think of an ending, so things just got weird" way. I felt like The Endless did a little more explaining, and the lack of total understanding from the protagonists in Resolution lends it a much more tragic air.

By http://www.impawards.com/2023/guardi...hree_ver2.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=72394795

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - (2023)

Rewatch - this time at home. Guardians 3 can't match the pure brilliance of the first movie, but it's a whole lot of fun all the same. The comedy is still working, and so is the creature design and overall artistic flair when it comes to Galaxy-building. Rocket's story is genuinely touching, and powers the whole film quite well - there are more future viewings left in this one (in my younger days, I'd have watched this many times already.) There's so much backstory behind all of the characters and the universe they live in now - is this really going to be the last Guardians movie? From what I've heard, a future one is possible, but it would be centered on different characters - which to me wouldn't be a Guardians movie really. I come to see Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, Nebula, Mantis and Rocket. This was a good time, and very easy to lose yourself in - I've upped my rating from last time because not only had it lost nothing with a second go-around, I think I enjoyed myself even more than the first time.

8/10

By IMPAwards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=33246497

Extremely loud and Incredibly Close - (2011)

My biggest problem with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is that pretty soon into it I'm turned off main character Oscar (Thomas Horn) and his father Thomas Schell (Tom Hanks). I mean, I really don't like them very much. Thomas is one of those eccentric parents who invents his own brand of parenting to counteract what seem like autistic traits in his son (interestingly, the doctors never end up giving the kid a diagnosis of autism.) Does this include putting him in danger? I thought it did. The son, Oscar, is himself an extremely annoying kid - rude, brash, dishonest, pushy, demanding, insensitive and sometimes even cruel. The kindly old man played by Max von Sydow actually has to flee the area to get away from him. I know, I know - this movie's saying to me "Yeah - but autism!" I don't know. Stephen Daldry and screenwriter Eric Roth (who adapted Jonathan Safran Foer's novel) don't do a good job of getting us to side with these characters. They're tugging away at our heart strings, but with painful fish-hooks. They're trying to calculate "cute" and "mournful" but getting "exasperating" and "galling" instead. One of the worst Best Picture Oscar nominees I've ever seen.

4/10

I have, but it must not have left an impression on me because I don't remember much about it. I'll give it another chance. This one is my new favorite with The Steel Helmet trailing slightly behind it.
I saw Shock Corridor recently, would recommend.

The Holdovers (2023)

It doesn't quite hit the modern American classic but I think for a lot of people this will be the favorite movie of the year.

The Holdovers (2023)

It doesn't quite hit the modern American classic but I think for a lot of people this will be the favorite movie of the year.
Looking forward to this.

Re-watch. Casey Affleck really good in this. So handsome too.

A rare Afrikaners movie from South Africa. Really enjoyed it.

Twilight on Tubi. I love free TV. Probably go with a 4/5

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=20757137

The Family Man - (2000)

On the face of it, The Family Man appears to be a pretty schmaltzy knock off of It's a Wonderful Life - and it pretty much is - but I'll be damned if Nicholas Cage doesn't put 110% into it, transforming it into a really pleasing fantasy film. What's especially agreeable is that we get unexpected glimpses of crazy Cage, but also a great serious dramatic performance which I'd rate as one of Cage's best. In this he's Jack Campbell, leaving his girlfriend Kate (Téa Leoni) at the airport to never return to her, and going on to become an ultra-wealthy Wall Street executive and bachelor. One day an unexpected encounter with a gun wielding, seemingly crazy man (played by Don Cheadle) sees him cross over into an alternate version of his life where he married Kate and had kids. Yeah, it's the whole "learning that having a family is better than all the money in the world" thing - but the screenplay is more than solid, and little perks like an adorable child performance from Makenzie Vega elevate the movie and make it earn it's Frank Capra credentials (amazingly, this was directed by an outed Me Too movement perpetrator - it's a minefield that robs many films of their power when people find out.) I'm rating this for Cage though - he's simply wonderful in this.

8/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2022/she_said_ver2.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=71294136

She Said - (2022)

There aren't too many surprises in store for those who watch She Said, but it's always enjoyable seeing a monster hunted down, outed and finally stopped after decades of destroying promising lives. For all his reputation as a thunderously bad tempered, fearsome and argumentative man, he comes off as pretty whiny in She Said. That seems to be the go-to for people like him. They don't argue with thunderous passion, they just whine. Anyway - this is a newspaper movie which basically consists of the two New York Times reporters, Megan Twohey (Carey Mulligan) and Jodi Kantor (Zoe Kazan) tracking down lead after lead, and listening to stories about Weinstein and what he was like. The fat and extremely ugly man would use his power to force sex or sexual acts on many of the women he came across - usually in disgustingly shameless ways. These women had promising careers they were excited about - and came away with their lives in tatters. After the Times articles were published, 82 women came forward with horror stories concerning the Hollywood producer. If any of the women fought back during his reign, he blacklisted them and made sure they never worked in the industry again.

Nowhere near as good as Spotlight or All the President's Men, but a fine watch. This was my second go-around with She Said.

7/10

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Nightcrawler (2014)

I had been waiting to see this pop up on streaming somewhere, and I finally found it. Gyllenhaal is outstanding as usual, but the story itself fizzled a bit for me. There are definitely parts where I was glued to the screen, but by the end, it felt a bit empty.

Studio 666 (2022)

I feel like Dave Grohl had on his bucket list to make a corny horror/comedy.. problem is I wasn't scared and if I chuckled it was because of terrible wooden acting. At least the boys gave it a shot I guess I just felt they could put a bit more effort in.. so many references from classic horror films I forgot them all and I appreciated the homages. The kills were like graphic as f*CK. Michael Myers would be proud. I guess this will be fun for the foo's to watch but as for me, I can't see myself revisiting this unless I smoked like a load of good quality .. 1 Star from the foo fighters just attempting this trash.

5th Rewatch...the ghost story and the love story still meld flawlessly in the 1990 box office smash that earned a Best Picture nomination. After dozens of other actors, including Tom Hanks, turned the role down, the late Patrick Swayze cemented himself as a box office champion playing a man who was recently murdered, but cannot rest until the guy who had him killed is brought to justice and his girlfriend (Demi Moore) is out of danger. This movie pulled me into it last week the same way it did thirty years ago. Of course, Whoopi Goldberg won the Supporting Actress for her Odda Mae Brown, but I have to wonder if her award was more a move of political correctness. Was she really better than Lorraine Broco in Goodfellas or Annette Bening in The Grifters? LOVED Tony Goldwyn's greasy turn as Carl though. This is now officially one of those films where an annual rewatch would not be out of the realm of normality.

2nd Rewatch...Still trying to figure out why people consider this movie such a masterpiece and how it won the Oscar for Best Picture of 1977. There's so many things about this movie I just don't get. First of all, I don't understand the title because the movie is not about Annie, it's about Woody's character, Alvy Singer, who is one of the most unlikable characters Woody has ever played. I hate the way he tries to change and educate Annie throughout the movie, while encouraging her singing career until an LA record producer (Paul Simon) wants to put her on his label. His griping about what an awful place LA is and how New York is the only place on the planet worth living and those final scenes where he flies to LA to make Annie come back to him do not endear the character to the viewer at all. Keaton's musical scene in that nightclub with dishes crashing and Woody sneezing in to a plate of cocaine never grow old though. I think Woody has made at least half a dozen films better than this one.

2nd Rewatch...Still trying to figure out why people consider this movie such a masterpiece and how it won the Oscar for Best Picture of 1977. There's so many things about this movie I just don't get. First of all, I don't understand the title because the movie is not about Annie, it's about Woody's character, Alvy Singer, who is one of the most unlikable characters Woody has ever played. I hate the way he tries to change and educate Annie throughout the movie, while encouraging her singing career until an LA record producer (Paul Simon) wants to put her on his label. His griping about what an awful place LA is and how New York is the only place on the planet worth living and those final scenes where he flies to LA to make Annie come back to him do not endear the character to the viewer at all. Keaton's musical scene in that nightclub with dishes crashing and Woody sneezing in to a plate of cocaine never grow old though. I think Woody has made at least half a dozen films better than this one.
My favourite Woody Allen film. The comedy just seems so intelligent and well written. Not many films like it in my opinion.

Also, if you start wondering why certain films won best picture oscars then all I can say is best of luck.