Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

7/10 I saw it as an almost anti-romance movie, quirky and a must see even if just for the location. Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem are magnificent as always.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	vicky-cristina-barcelona-movie-outfits-265129-1534132811793-image_700x0c.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	52933  

Night on Earth 1991

Five separate stories of five cab drivers shot on location in
Los Angeles, New York, Paris, Rome and Helsinki, all on the same night.
Well done, small indie film by Jim Jarmusch,
I thought the L.A. and Paris stories were the best ones.

Unregistered User

Le Bonheur (1965)

A beautiful film that shows the genius of Agnes Varda. Kind of a hard hitting love story with plenty of questions asked.

Mulholland Drive (2001)

Never post about a rewatch here but I had to after this. Hadn't seen it in years and the first time I watched it was before I saw Twin Peaks, for whatever reason MD seemed a lot different after it. Perhaps it was just being used to Lynchs style a bit more? I dunno but this is one hell of a movie. Part of the fun for me is reading up on it afterwards.

An early 90's crime/whodunit. I liked it but only because I can time warp my brain into an early 90's frame of mind when I need to. If this were released today - probably wouldn't like it. Andy Garcia is a detective who believes a bunch of unsolved murder cases are related. The problem is nobody believes him and a lot of his fellow detectives don't like him. Has a good ending. Co-stars Lance Henriksen.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

7/10 I saw it as an almost anti-romance movie, quirky and a must see even if just for the location. Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem are magnificent as always.
Thanks for the heads-up! Surprised I missed this film from 2008, because I automatically watch any film that Woody Allen puts out, and have done since What's Up, Tiger Lily? (1966).

This was an enjoyable romp, which was a little more risque than the usual Allen project. The story was alluring, and the photography by Javier Aguirresarobe was first rate. What the story starts out as, turns into something else, then returns at the end.

The cast was heavyweight, with Rebecca Hall, Scarlett Johansson, Javier Bardem, and Penelope Cruz. Most were first rate, although Johansson never strikes me as a top-talented actress.

My guess is that it's not easy to act in an Allen written film because much of the dialogue is written exactly the way Allen himself speaks. If the actor gets it right, they tend to seem like they're impersonating Allen.

IMO the most challenging role was R. Hall's. She was required to make several basic character changes in the narrative, and she mostly pulled it off.

One of few films Woody Allen shot outside the U.S., and New York, it's among his better productions in the 21st Century.

~Doc

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

HATED this movie...can't believe Cruz actually won an Oscar for it.

Nebraska (Alexander Payne, 2013)
+
Nice looking but severely lacking in lawnmower for me

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I'm not sure, if I rated this movie here...

4/5
I expected a typical movie about racism and it turned out to be wonderful drama about marriage. Denzel and especially Viola were amazing.

2/5
Kubrick never was one of my fav.

2,5/5
I'm not sure, how to rate it, as it has good and bad moments. On the one side it is quite funny, on the other quite predictable.

2,5/5
I watched it only for Johnny Deep.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Nebraska (Alexander Payne, 2013)
+
Nice looking but severely lacking in lawnmower for me
Ha - I'm guessing you're referring to "The Straight Story". A few have recommended this to me, but Brue Dern is usually annoying on the screen. Even in "Coming Home" - he looked deranged before going to Vietnam.

Ha - I'm guessing you're referring to "The Straight Story". A few have recommended this to me, but Brue Dern is usually annoying on the screen.
But in the best way, especially in The 'Burbs .

Even in "Coming Home" - he looked deranged before going to Vietnam.
I think that about Jack Nicholson in The Shining .

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Miseducation of Cameron Post (2018)

A quiet, muted sort of drama about a young woman sent to a religious gay conversion camp in the early nineties. Disappointingly, it's only quite loosely based on the book (which I really liked), losing a lot of the story, sense of character and the context of the time and place it is set. Basing it solely in the conversion camp (which is an important but relatively small part of the book) makes it start to look a little derivative of other 'institution' films. That said, it's competently filmed, there are some poignant moments and some which raise a wry smile.

+

8th Re-watch...my favorite chick flick has enormous re-watch appeal, a terrific screenplay and wonderful performances with standout work from Sally Field...she is spectacular here...watch her in that scene in the beauty shop when Julia Roberts has the seizure...flawless.

Top of my list too. I've re- watched this film so often that I practically know the dialog by heart- and never tire of the movie. I think Sally is one of our under rated actresses. And the scene you mention is a great example of how a character she played who initially seemed one dimensional - blossoms into a person who seems real and relatable that the viewer can empathize with. A delight.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
LSD drug propaganda?
That was one of them. Some of the acting is awful (the fake laugh after a sentence), but there was never a point I was going to turn it off - something that I've done with about 100-200 movies.