Repo! A Genetic Opera

→ in
Tools    

Repo! A Genetic Opera (Darren Lynn Bousman-2008)

It's not often I am moved enough to string more than one or two sentences to review a film. But for this gem I'll make an exception.

Isn't that...? Yes in fact that is Paris Hilton and contrary to popular belief she actually can carry a tune. She's certainly a better singer than she is an (*cough*) actress. I would like to thank Tim Burton personally for Making Sweeney Todd right here and now because with out it this movie here wouldn't have been possible or maybe even watchable in most circles.

I watched it and I enjoyed it muchly. If you're a Buffy fan then you already know that Anthony Stewart Head can carry a tune and in the Buffy musical episode we noticed that he had a rather interesting way of singing up and down the octave scale. He continues that in this film. Also a carry over from Sweeney Todd was the very enjoyable singing of regular dialog inside the film.

The cast was an absolute trip to say the least. Alexa Vega, who I haven't seen in anything since the very enjoyable Spykids movies was just lovely as a trapped teenage girl who has to sneak out of the house just to go outside because her father (Head) has told her she has a rare blood disease. But that really isn't even as interesting as the premise for the movie which is that in the not so distant future an epidemic of sorts allows a biotech company to basically start selling body parts like used cars and as the title might indicate, when you don't pay up you get a visit from the repoman who kills you and takes back whatever body part you owe money on. The man who runs the biotech company is a one Paul Sorvino who can not only carry a tune but he totally belted out some of his lines in full opera style. Another interesting cast member was Bill Moseley who was terrific as the total pshyco from The Devil's Rejects and House of 100 Corpses. Could he sing? Sort of.

This entire movie is so bizarre it needs to be seen to be believed. I can easily see this being a love/hate flick and I am firmly in the 'love camp' as of now. Obviously.

So, we have a whole bunch of blood and guts, we have lots of pretty hot chicks dancing and singing and Paris Hilton's face falls off at one point. What's not to love?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I waited for this film to hit theatres, but it never came here. Thanks for the positive review though, I'll go searching now.

Suspect's Reviews

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
For valentine's day I decided I loved myself enough to rent this one. It wasn't what I had expected that's for sure. However it was interesting and it had it's really great moments.

This is such a good movie. I really loved it.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I have only seen the trailer today and omg this is a must for me!!!

Haven't got around to this yet, it looks and sounds great apart from the 'musical' bit. I really can't stand musicals. Still might check out though PW.

Lame movie, really lame.

Picked this up good few months ago, probably put thoughts up in movie tab. Really unique film, some of it doesn't work that well but worth a watch for the originality of it all. Plus who doesn't love Giles.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Just watched this tonight. Put some rambling thoughts in movietab and may feel inspired to write an actual review later. But for no, bumping this thread and adding my thumbs up, because this seems to be a word of mouth kind of film, I never saw any trailers or ads for it and heard about it from a friend on lj.

deathroman13
I've watched this last friday and I love it .

The songs are really good and the singing too.
also the atmosphere of the movie is really awesome and I would have never heard of this movie without Sweeney Todd XD.

But if you are a Sweeney Todd fan, you definitely have to watch this musical

I don't like musicals or opera, so I found this unwatchable... the other movie ("Repo men") is fine.