A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

The Wind (2019) -

This is a decent horror western for how it may prove that nothing may be scarier than...well, nothing. In a place with plenty of it, the prairies of 19th century New Mexico, we witness a horrifying sight: a woman, Lizzy (Gerard), emerges from a house covered in blood while holding a newborn baby. Her husband Isaac (Zukerman) does exactly what she doesn't need him to do at that point: go on a long trip without her. While trying to stave off insanity, we flash back to what brought Lizzy to her unfortunate state.

As is typical of thrillers and horror movies from the perspective of someone spending too much time alone, the drama comes from whether what we see is real or imagined, with this one doing a pretty good job of maintaining it. If it's not Lizzy's obsession with a tract about Biblical demons, which is also on the mind of new neighbor Emma (Telles), it's whether her goat, some wild dogs or even what's in the title are conspiring against her. The core of this conflict, however, is Lizzy and Isaac's relationship with Emma and her timid husband Gideon (McTee). Thanks to the strong, natural work of all four performers – especially Zukerman, who I also like in Succession - I was left on edge about who is friend or foe until the best possible moment. Miles Anderson also makes the most of his limited screentime as a reverend, whose demon obsession is fascinating in and of itself.

I have seen many movies like this one, and despite liking it, I would place it in the middle or perhaps the third tier of the ones I've seen. It does not do much novel with its premise to stand out from the pack - it's similarities to The Witch are particularly glaring - and there's not much to complement in terms of atmosphere, which is a shame since that's what keeps me coming back to this subgenre. The way it flits back and forth between past and present is also inelegant at times. Other than that, it is worth checking out, especially if you also will watch anything with a western setting. Oh, and there are babies and animals in this movie, and as someone who becomes anxious whenever either is on screen in movies like this one, that should not dissuade because I would not say it ventures into bad taste.

Have to ask if you saw the Theatrical or DC.
Whichever version is on Amazon Prime. It did not have “The Director’s Cut” after it. 2 hours exactly. So probably theatrical. What’s the difference between the two?

Scanners, 1981 (A-)

Nice, quirky, smart movie. Some of the highest quality staring and mugging in cinema. Loved that scene at the end where everything is about the staring and the makeup.

Dementia 13, 1963 (B+)

A fun little movie about a woman who goes to her husband's family after his unexpected demise to get her mother in law to change the will before the body is discovered. Shenanigans ensue about a member of the family who died as a child.

Visually, a very interesting movie. Leaning towards slasher, but with a bit more flair and not that many kills. The goods are there though.
I love the scene where they're talking in the pub, and he tells the story about his nightmare about the man climbing in a window. A great example of how to generate chills using the audience's imagination.

The Wind (2019) -

This is a decent horror western for how it may prove that nothing may be scarier than...well, nothing.
I thought this movie was such a nothing burger. I watched it relatively recently and can't remember a thing about it.

Fragile ? This is a mild rec at best
Dark Water (US) - also mild

Calvaire
The Uninvited Guest
Ab-normal Beauty
Malevolence

My Little Eye
Dark Water (Japan)
Below

Soft for Digging

Ravenous (Love this one)

Probably my least favorite era for horror films. Again, leaving out obvious ones (Scream, The Descent). And again, I don't remember a lot of these. Ravenous is the only bona fide favorite of mine in this list.

I love the scene where they're talking in the pub, and he tells the story about his nightmare about the man climbing in a window. A great example of how to generate chills using the audience's imagination.

Yes! I was surprised how tense that scene was. There's something about the simplicity of it all that just gets to you.

As for 95-05 recommendations, here's what I got:

Uzumaki (year 2000)
Survival Island (or Pinata something) 2002 (This one is awful, but by all means, watch it)

Noroi (The Curse) (Like top 3 horror for me)
Marebito
Three... Extremes (Asian anthology)
Edit: Oh, and Cabin Fever, which I just saw

Cutting Class...Brad Pitt supposedly hated it, but I didn't. Any film that features survival based on a math problem gets bonus points from me.

My latest horror film reviews are sponsored by the word The.

The Worthy: It's one part Dune with a much lower budget and one part Saw (it reminds me more of It Comes at Night, but that didn't come out until a year later). Soft-hearted father allows in a man who saves his life and a woman who almost got killed to their bunker...and before you can say "They'll regret it", they do regret it. Talky with some moments of brutality. There's a highlight involving a plane wing where the hero and bad guy fight while a woman whose neck is wrapped in a chain is perched precariously. It is from the UAE so there's that, but this may be one of the worst films I've seen this year.

The Mummy: Made a few alterations to my list due to expirations and new opportunities. A chance to winnow away another Universal Creature Feature? Check. Karloff is impressive as the titular creature and his alternative identity as Ardeth Bay. Director Karl Freude does allow for some atmosphere to build. But the rest of the cast is unimpressive and the film spends more of its 72 minute runtime trying to talk the creature to death instead of trying to kill it. If they just acted, we might be talking about a 40 minute film. The weakest of the lot with only the Wolfman left to see.

Heading into the 1995-2005 era. Recs?
The late '90s is rather weak regarding horror, but the early 2000s make up for it. Most of these are good (i.e. 3.5/5 or better), but I've included some 2.5s and 3s as well (even a few I haven't rated at all because I didn't do that at the time of watching; for the same reason, I'm sure I'm missing something good).

'97: Cure, Event Horizon, Alien Resurrection
'98: Ringu
'99: The Ninth Gate, Presence of Mind, The Blair With Project
'00: Ginger Snaps, Uzumaki, Ring 0
'01: Pulse, Suicide Club
'02: Dog Soldiers, Dark Waters, Bloody Mallory, Double Vision, The Eye, Ju-on
'03: A Tale of Two Sisters, Freddy vs Jason
'04: Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed, Dead Birds, Shutter
'05: The Descent, Noroi: The Curse, The Call of Cthulhu

Movie night last night started with No One Will Save You which kept me enthralled for much of it's run time, the no dialogue shtick will probably annoy some people but the atmosphere, acting and directing are all really good. That being said I'm not sure the ending really worked for me, it doesn't ruin what came before it but to me there were better more interesting ways it could have gone. All in all I really like it though.

Next up was The The Breach (2022) a low budget cosmic horror film that mostly delivers. The acting quality varies but no one is out and out terrible and even if the character interaction can be a little cliche they are at least clearly trying to establish relationships and history between everyone. I think it does a solid job of building tension and unraveling what's going on, nothing gets to much of an explanation but that's really fine for this sort of thing. Things start escalating nicely near the end with some solid grotesquery on display though eventually the budget kind of prevents things from maybe getting as out there and unhinged as it needed to be to really nail the ending.

An American Werewolf in London. Also seen a few times now. When I bought my Tremors 4K, Arrow recommended this as well. You win Arrow. I forgot how much of the early hospital scenes are people doing shtick.

Influencer. This was great! I want more.

Victim of The Night
Whichever version is on Amazon Prime. It did not have “The Director’s Cut” after it. 2 hours exactly. So probably theatrical. What’s the difference between the two?
I think that's the DC.
It doesn't turn it into a masterpiece or anything but it makes the film a LOT more cogent. In a good way. And has some interesting scenes that no one saw from 1990-2014.
The theatrical version was more like, "Aw, that's a damn shame, there were a couple/few good ideas in there."

Victim of The Night
Thank you. I just started watching several Horror shorts on YouTube. Never done this before for Halloween. (I just got back in the country so I didn't have my full palette to work with.)

A system of cells interlinked
The Vigil

Thomas, 2019

Watched this to fill the Religious Film category in the Halloween Challenge. Excellent film. Uses its limited resources and claustrophobic location to generate suspense for pretty much the entire film. Heavily based on Jewish culture and history, I took this as allegory for how many Jews deal with processing the horrors of the past. A bit on the nose at times, the metaphor was still very effective. The suspense and scares were very effective, and my wife was hiding under a blanket at times.

Cutting Class...Brad Pitt supposedly hated it, but I didn't. Any film that features survival based on a math problem gets bonus points from me.
I own Cutting Class and have watched it so many times. It's great.

Movie night last night started with No One Will Save You which kept me enthralled for much of it's run time, the no dialogue shtick will probably annoy some people but the atmosphere, acting and directing are all really good. That being said I'm not sure the ending really worked for me, it doesn't ruin what came before it but to me there were better more interesting ways it could have gone. All in all I really like it though
I love the premise of (MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!!!)
WARNING: spoilers below
"Who might ultimately benefit from an alien invasion?", but didn't like the ending. Too many unanswered questions: why are they taking over bodies? Why are they entirely remorseless with everyone else, but spare the main character?