What are you listening to while you're MoFoin' it?

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher

I have been listening to Tender Prey by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds a lot lately. This is the first post Birthday Party Nick Cave album that I've gotten into, though I think it has a few too many versions of the same songs, seems a little padded. Still, good.

Tender Prey is a top album, but I don't think it's as good as The Good Son, Henry's Dream or Let Love In, the mighty trilogy that came along after.

I think Cave's been going steadily downhill since, sadly.

Drunken Lullabies ~ Flogging Molly

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The raindrops hitting the back of the house

I love the sound of rain... 'course around here, if we hear it for more than 30 minutes, it starts sounding a little ominous and we head for higher ground ...

A system of cells interlinked
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Tender Prey is a top album, but I don't think it's as good as The Good Son, Henry's Dream or Let Love In, the mighty trilogy that came along after.

I think Cave's been going steadily downhill since, sadly.
I think I have a copy of Henry's Dream somewhere. I've heard a lot of Cave's stuff over the years, most of my High School friends were fans so I've been pretty thoroughly bombarded with his music over the years but it never really appealed to me until I got into the Birthday Party. I have to say a lot of times it seems like music has to be a bit weird-sounding and very obnoxious and noisy for me to really get into it immediately. Junkyard and Hee Haw are amazing albums and I pretty much fell in love immediately. With Tender Prey I pretty much immediately liked Deanna -- to give you an example of the kind of musical aesthetic that appeals to my gut-instincts -- but took a while for me to get into the rest of the album. Now that I like the whole thing I might finally be ready to move onto some of his more ballady songs though. I will look at those ones you mentioned. Thanks

Edit: oh yeah, playing now: A Tribe Called Quest - Award Tour

The People's Republic of Clogher
If you're not keen on Cave's ballads, lines, I'd avoid everything post, ironically enough, Murder Ballads. Maybe it's the onset of middle age but he rarely gives The Bad Seeds full rein for more than a couple of songs an album these days.

I find that such a shame as they're one of the most visceral groups of musicians I've ever seen play (double figures and counting).

They still all look like murders, though, which is a good thing. Of course.

EDIT - I was thinking about how many times I've seen Cave live and came to the conclusion that only Christy Moore has had my money more often.

The great man himself: Christy Moore - So Do I

The Flaming Lips - The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song

If I'm totally honest I have no idea what the song or the video's really about, but the chorus is just wonderful.