The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ach, I'm not really one for online shooters. Ain't played any of the BFs, even the girly pacifist one BFF.
Hah

Yeah I know what you mean. There was something hypnotic about that old BF2 demo tho. I could play it for hours at a time, and I'm really not the squaddie type. I've never found any other online shooter that's a patch on it. It was kinda like the Return to Castle Wolfenstein demo, with its classes and clever map design, mixed with the insane vehicular fun of the Unreal Tournament 2 demo. (Yes... my only point of reference is demos ). And then its own thing. Just kinda inexhaustibly varied somehow.

I think if only coz I feel I owe em for getting so much free fun out of their last release I should go for it. (I am dreading the tawdry trash talk tho )

*EDIT* Oo, the self-run BF2 demo servers are still around apparently. Maybe I'll just go back to playing that

*OTHER EDIT* Looking back I've obviously played a fair few online 'capture the flag' games. I'm def thinking voice chat would have totally put me off them tho. Luckily, if some kid wanted to sing a mindless racist song back then, he had to stop and type it - normally leading to a bazooka up the jacksy. Those were the days

Reached into my GAME credit stash yesterday and got Dead Island for 360. Problem is that I've not been remotely bothered about playing it. Maybe this week...
I rented from Blockbuster's Resistance Warhamer Space marines and Dead island and I am so hooked on Dead Island, haven't even bothered to try the other 2 games. I haven't slept properly for the past 3 days(I am playing as we speak) I haven't played anything that cool in ages, maybe its the love for the undead that I have but this game is awesome so much to do so much to kill slice burn blow shot whatever you can think of. As some guy on youtube said If Dead Rising 2 and Left 4 Dead have a baby then this is it but far superior than its parents. I know it has a lot of resemblance to those two games but for me its a lot like Borderlands another game that I am in love recently, fans of the game will notice. I am almost done with the main campaign but there is still so much to do-side missions and exploration. I've never seen anything else by techland or deep silver but those guys just landed on a gold mine with that game and most likely in 2 years or so we'll be enjoying a sequel hopefully

As part of my foolish aggrandising of the BF franchise, here's a list of things I loved to do in the old BF2 demo. Just because

• Sneaking up behind tanks, attaching plastic explosives to a weak spot, then scampering off and triggering it before they spotted and swatted you.

• Attaching explosives to a buggy, accelerating towards a compound, and hurling yourself out at the last second

• Feeling immortal in a tank one minute, then cursing the sneaky black op that just blew you to pieces

• Zipping around over the undulating terrain in a buggy and nabbing any unmanned flag points. (All the time knowing someone could easily be hiding in the long grass, and it might not be unmanned at all)

• Hiding in the long grass to make a flag point look unmanned

• Ferrying people in the lumbering transport copter, then circling the drop zone so someone could use the heavy gun to clear the area. (All the while knowing a jet could pick us off at any time)

• Joining a little team and taking / holding flag points in a pretty organised manner. (Respawning with them if you got taken out). Bit serious, but cool when it worked

• Playing as an engineer to hold a key hub point, by fixing up defending vehicles and laying cunning mines to stop opponents blitzing in. Or just charging around in armour / attack-helis and pausing to fix it when possible.

• Using all the intuitive comms stuff - esp warning others about oncoming threats (just hovering over them for a sec would vocalise what type of threat it was and flag it on the map)

• Finally taking down a rampaging tank with several 'heat seeking' rocket launcher hits - after lots of desperate ducking and diving to avoid getting taken out.

• Yeah, alright, sniping. Although you could never really capture a flag. You could keep one safe from a distance though.

• And yeah alright, camping by spawn points - but only on the airship one, as it was really tricky to get to it and scuttle about without being spotted / mobbed.
And on and on and on

Uff, I feel so dirty . And I've spotted you can get the whole game for like 4 quid now. Doubt the servers will stay that populated after the new release tho. Hmmmmmm.

&start=268

&start=175

The People's Republic of Clogher
Riiiiight. Dead Island.

AKA: Bioshock meets Borderlands meets Dead Rising.

Disclaimer: Only played half an hour before my ickle thumb gave out. I really need a new one.

First off - Dreadful acceleration going on with the analogue sticks, even with the sensitivity turned down. This means that precision is a distant hope but it kinda fits with the adrenaline-fuelled WAAAAH!! scariness of the thing, so I can live with it.

Second off - Voice acting is in the class of Mickey Rourke in Prayer For The Dying, but we didn't buy it for that, did we?

Third off - They're not Zombies, they're Infected. 28 Days Later says "Hi!" and gallops off into the sunset on its high horse.

Forth off - There was more tension in that half hour than I've had in a game for yonks. That the game's so typically Deep Silver (I input one of the special edition DLC codes only to find out that it's not supposed to be released until 'sometime in September' - You've not finished it yet, have you lads?) and rough to the point of Beta is really not a plus point, no matter how many say it adds to its frenetic nature.

7/10 but only based on half an hour. More to come when I'm taking less painkillers.

If they'd put as much work into the finished product as they did with that wonderful trailer then I'd be mumbling "classic". But they didn't so I'm not...

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Spent a good majority of the weekend playing Alice: Madness Returns on the PS3. Wasn't expecting too much, but it's an excellent game! Just the right level of difficulty...superb visuals...cool weapons...easily 7.5/10

Now playing:

Viking: Battle For Asgard on PS3

Something I've just discovered this morning is that World of Warcraft is free to play up to level 20!

I thought I might as well revisit but the download (6+ GBs of it) was chugging along so slowly it forced me to dig out my Battle Chest. Hopefully what's on the disc will pick up the slack.

EDIT - Nope, that didn't work. Looks like I'm doing this the hard way. Woooh I got 300KB/s there.

For a second.

A system of cells interlinked
Human Revolution!

Something I've just discovered this morning is that World of Warcraft is free to play up to level 20!

I thought I might as well revisit but the download (6+ GBs of it) was chugging along so slowly it forced me to dig out my Battle Chest. Hopefully what's on the disc will pick up the slack.

EDIT - Nope, that didn't work. Looks like I'm doing this the hard way. Woooh I got 300KB/s there.

For a second.

Make sure to check out the newest starting zones!

(Troll, Goblin, Worgen)

You want to post like me?
I just beat the single player campaign of Battlefield Bad Company 2 and had a great time.

I feel like I kind of have to compare it to Modern Warfare 2, but I've always kind of shaken my head at these raging arguments you occasionally see in youtube comments and whatnot. Can't we all just play the games we want and enjoy them, without resorting to bad grammar and homophobia?
Secondly, the shooting feels exactly the same to me. I'm no FPS connoisseur or anything, I just can't spot the big differences, in the core mechanic - sorry.
What immediately did occur to me though was that BFBC2 doesn't take itself too seriously and, to me, that's what separates these two games the most from each other. BC2s single player campaign is funny, border lining silly, while MW2s is serious and grim, the airport level being a great example. I'm gonna try and stop comparing these two games now.

But Dice won't. More than once the game takes wisecracks at their biggest competitor and I laughed out loud on all of them.
WARNING: "Funny moments" spoilers below
"It's not a snow mobile! Snow mobiles are for sissies!"
"No, no no no! He'll just send some special ops douche bags, with pussy ass heartbeat monitors on their guns instead of us."

The story can be summarized, without spoilers, very easily. The Russians have a bomb and you need to go shoot dudes and blow up stuff to get it... Okay there's a little more to it than that but it's really all you need to know. There's some good twists though and a few "No!"-moments to keep it all engaging, and it is. Somewhat.
There's a good (if not stereotypical) set of characters in your squad, that are all well voiced. The sergeant on his last mission, the tech nerd with glasses, the redneck who's into Nascar and Cowboys cheerleaders and your character, who's very heroic and makes all the right choices. Don't expect deep characters but expect funny banter whenever you're not killing dudes.

Gameplay-wise it's really well put together. The destructible environments look great and keep it all interesting, as you never know when your cover is gonna get blown away. There's great variety, as you get in tanks and helicopters and get to control UAVs and all kinds of military stuff I've forgotten the names of.

Playing with headphones the sound direction was amazing. Bullets zip past your head with a (I'm assuming) realistic ZIIIPH that made me go 'oh ****' numerous times, vehicles blow up satisfyingly with a kind of two part explosion and the guns have a good pop to them, especially the snipers, that echo in the background.

The game suffers from a fair amount of visuals flaws though. Often, enemies would get stuck in walls and shake violently when I shot them and cover just kinda vanishes when you're all up against it and some RPG guy blows it away. It doesn't really take away from the game though and it doesn't happen that often.
The aim assist holds your hand a little too much on normal, I thought, making it a bit too easy to snipe. Suits me for not playing on hard, I guess.

Great singleplayer campaign! If anyone wanna team up on multiplayer feel free to send me a message. I'm on the PS3.

You want to post like me?
Kasper gave me a heads up about Bastion a while back and I dismissed it as some kind of animé twin-stick shooter. The finished article looks a heck of a lot more than that though - an isometric hack 'n' slasher - and I'm tempted to unretire my Xbox to make use of my XBL points surplus and buy it, otherwise it's Ł12 on Steam and similar on PSN.
It's not on PSN, sadly.

I'm multiplaying... but on the old 2005 PC demo of Battlefield2. Mad that people are still running servers for it

Trolls got a new starting zone? I'm gonna have to hijack my brothers account again then.

It's really fun, too. LEvels 1-10 move right along and involve the player in a story as opposed to "go kill 10 pigs, ok bye."

Make sure to check out the newest starting zones!

(Troll, Goblin, Worgen)
I dunno if it'll allow me to or not. Just spent a day downloading the client so will give it a whirl tonight. I think it's just the basic game without any of the expansions and it won't allow you to touch your old account - It adds a new one, even when you use your existing Battlenet details.

I only found out about this after a phishing email telling me that I was apparently caught selling my account details so please log in to this page with my account details. I went to my real account log-in just to make sure (hadn't logged in in ages) and spied the banners for free-to-play.

Thanks phishers!

Kasper - Steam? According to the system reqs you need a 1.7GHZ dual core or better, 2GB of RAM and a 512MB video card (DX9).

Might be worth downloading the demo if your specs are at all close.

Yes, it's your bi-monthly "Chris Completely Ignores What Everyone Else Is Talking About And Starts Talking About Fallout Again" update.

I'm a handful of hours into New Vegas, and so far I'm mixed. It feels like basically everything everyone has said is correct, both the good and the bad. It feels fairly large and I must say, I really missed that "what's over the next hill?" feeling that was pretty much gone several dozen hours of gameplay ago with Fallout 3, after I felt I'd discovered pretty much all the major areas. That sense of nervous excitement and discovery is what really latched me onto the game, so it's a lot of fun to have that back.

Less fun is that, as pretty much all the reviews had indicated, it definitely feels more linear. I stubbornly decided to venture North first, but it became clear that that way lies death(claws). Even getting to that point required quite a bit of maneuvering to avoid the Giant Radscorpions, which I'll need a few more levels to dispatch without a great amount of difficulty. I am looking forward to coming back when I've leveled a bunch and just laying waste to these areas, but I'm not there yet.

It's early enough that I don't have any opinion about the factions or how to ally yourself among them yet. I'm kind of intimidated by the ammo reloader and the campfire stuff, too. I feel like the learning curve on some of these things is a heck of a lot higher, though it probably seems worse because I was so acclimated to F3 that any significant tweak feels like a whole different type of game. At some point soon I'll have to sit down and figure out how this stuff works, but I haven't yet.

Two fun things about the fact of the game, rather than the quality of the game itself.
1) It's just the right amount of both fun and frustrating to have to go from a ridiculous level-30 assassin with every special item in the game and Fawkes by his side, to a nobody with a pistol who has to run away from Giant Radscorpions. There's been an adjustment, but it's been as good as it has bad.

2) The advantage of having some idea of how to manage my money and inventory is huge right off the bat. I deliberately made a point to gather up tons of junk and immediately sell it for a few caps, I knew what weight to take on and what to ditch, and I've amassed a pretty solid number of caps (about 700, I think) after just a few levels.
It's also nice to have a better idea of what perks to hit up, although it's interesting how all those initial ones have downsides, to the point at which it's an option (and a decent one) to forego them all.

One thing I was unprepared for is how often I'm feeling limited by my skillset. I think, right off the bat, that NV does a way better job of spreading skill bonuses out than F3 does. I've already run into lots of conversations where I could significantly benefit from having put my skill points elsewhere, way more than I remember happening in the first dozen hours of F3. It feels more balanced that way.

So, all in all, pretty good so far, and the ways in which it's not so good are ways I was prepared for. Mostly just fun to have that sense of discovery again.