Do You Buy Used DVDs?

Tools    

Do you buy used DVDs?
65.00%
39 votes
Sure, so far so good.
8.33%
5 votes
Yes, it worked except for that one time...
13.33%
8 votes
Only if they guarantee the item is in 'new' condition.
13.33%
8 votes
No way, Jose.
60 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
This just came up in another thread and it got me wondering....

So... do you?
No I myself do not. Yes it's true that they may be cheaper but I don't take the chance of something happening to my player possibly and wasting money. Who knows what the previous person has done . Fingerprints, scratch marks etc... Count me out.

I buy a bunch "previously viewed", but only on the new releases which tend to me more expensive "new" for the first couple of months...and I won't buy them unless the dvd comes with a gurantee and the case is plastic wrapped (no thank you on the ones with the sale sticker stuck right on the case)

happy hunting!

Horrorphiliac

Yeah, I buy previously-viewed rental copies from time to time, maybe a couple or few each month.

If you buy them from a rental outfit like Hollywood Video or Blockbuster and such, they're 100% guanteed - if they don't work, bring 'em back. I haven't had to bring any of 'em any back yet.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm not above buying second hand DVD's but they have to be reasonably cheap. No point buying a DVD that is only ten pounds less then the RRP, may as well pay the little extra to insure you get a working copy, you also get the guarantee of a replacement if it fails.

Never had a problem though with my used films, and it is a cheaper way of building up your collection. I try to buy the recent releases new however and buy the used stuff from an established vendor. I only risk the really cheap stuff from stalls.

Yea whenever I buy online ( which I usualy dont do anyway.) so far its been working good except recently I bought freddy vs jason on amazon and the only comment the seller left was "great condition" but when it arrived it was only the first disk and in a jewel case. but other than that buying used has been good to me

I always buy the previously viewed now Unless i'm desperate to see a movie soon. If too many scratches, I can always return within 30 days.

MovieForums Extra
I've bought a few from Half.com and have had no problems. They were guaranteed new and they seemed to be new. I have been eyeballing Netflix since they started offering them.

if they're guaranteed, there is no risk jrs...unless you dont watch it until after the expiry of guarantee...

I've never had to take any back...the only thing Ive ever had wrong with them is the case being somewhat imperfect...so I jusy buy new empty cases for those (about a buck each CDN)

Originally Posted by JBriscoe
if they're guaranteed, there is no risk jrs
I bought a used 'guaranteed' X-Box game along while back. I went to play it and it almost ruined my system. Used DVD? Hell no.

I buy them all the time.

I just got Vanilla Sky, Kill Bill Vol 1 and Cabin Fever for $3 each at gamestop.

They all play fine.

I'd say at least 30% of my collection is used

I am always buying used dvds off of ebay from other dvd collectors, so far everything has been great.

Yes, I always check the Used section to see if they have the movie I want, if not then I will buy it brand new. But I will always check the dvd to see what condition it's in first. If it's scratched all the heck I will spend the extra money on the new one. But I rarely buy dvds, I have to really like the movie to buy it. I don't really like watching the same movie more than once or twice. But a movie like Gummo I can watch umpteen million times and still enjoy it.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I buy ex-rentals all the time and never had a problem.

My first DVD player used to be a bit dodgy in reading 'well used' discs but every one I've had since will play pretty much anything I throw at it.

I used to buy and swap DVD's and CD's at a trade center all the time… and only ran into one DVD that skipped… they exchanged it for another copy without any problems…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A store near me sells used dvd's and other items of the used type for good prices so this is the only place i would buy them cause they only rebuy dvd's in good to excellent condition..

I buy plenty from Blockbuster (tho i avoid the rental copies, without special features) and CEX. £4 for a pre-owned DVD or £16-£20 for new speaks for itself, though for new releases if they're £10 pre owned i tend to buy it new for a bit more but the mega cheap ones, it's like Christmas buying them. I've had one faulty disc which i exchanged fine. The other good thing with pre-owned DVDs is i can often pick up the exlcusive or special packaged DVDs after they've left shop shelves.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
Yes, I usually buy used ones from places like Blockbuster. Although, it is mainly the ones that are really cheap. I don't know why, but I can't get myself to buy used for "must-have" dvds, i just prefer new for those. If it's under $10 is usually the rule I follow for buying used. I haven't had any problems yet.

Lately I have been for older films that are difficult to find (movies like the Serpent's Egg etc) however I will purchase new DVDs on occasion, especially if they have just been released and I really want them. DVD's like project runway season 2. Would be kind of silly to wait until it's used.