Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That almost breaks my heart. I thnk that's one of the best films ever. Can you do me a favor and watch it again? I hope it will repay your efforts, in every single way.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
That almost breaks my heart. I thnk that's one of the best films ever. Can you do me a favor and watch it again? I hope it will repay your efforts, in every single way.
aw. you're so cute. okay. i'll give it another go. just for you.

You were bored by this and 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days is a masterpiece? Maybe you should break your rule and rewatch both movies back-to-back.
I doubt that would change my mind. They don't really compare with regards to general mood and setting (one is a light comedy slash drama, the other clear cut social drama which I'm a huge fan of), and are miles apart as far as artistic achievement. If you take away the "comedy" as the single driving force of the film, there really isn't much left for me there. Different strokes Marky.

The Mist

I was intrigued by pride of the British isles Mark Kermode's review of it on his podcast, and I had fairly high hopes. I wasn't disappointed, either. The early CGI was a bit naff, but I found everything after that fascinating, especially the big thing later on. I found that beautiful, actually. I nearly wept.

Unrelentingly depressing, bleak, hopeless. To quote the Kermode: a real feel bad movie.

A system of cells interlinked
A Kiss Before Dying (Deardon, 1991)

This had a pretty decent screenplay, but neither Dillon nor Young had the chops to make these characters interesting. As usual with Young, she lacked chemistry with, well, anyone. While this works in stuff like Blade Runner or Dune, a film like this requires chemistry between the two leads. The silly lead in/out didn't help.

A Kiss Before Dying (Deardon, 1991)

This had a pretty decent screenplay, but neither Dillon nor Young had the chops to make these characters interesting. As usual with Young, she lacked chemistry with, well, anyone. While this works in stuff like Blade Runner or Dune, a film like this requires chemistry between the two leads. The silly lead in/out didn't help.

Sean is good in The Boost (1988) with Jimmy Woods and I think my favorite performance is in the Americanized Cousins (1989) with Ted Danson, though most of her best scenes are with William Petersen. I think she's more than solid in No Way Out (1987), too. Obviously she's had her share of issues off-screen and it's not that she has a huge range, but given the right material I've always thought she can more than hold her own in front of the camera.

Neither version of A Kiss Before Dying has been good. The 1956 flick with Robert Wagner and Joanne Woodward is pretty awful. But the book is excellent! Perhaps someday the right person will come along to adapt it?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Sex and the City movie -
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and was expecting to hate it. The stories for each of the girls are the most logical progressions for them. However I felt that Charlotte really got sidelined. I was yelling at the screen over Carrie and Big and i did really laugh but I didnt cry, didnt hit the emotional button hard enough for me. Also there were little characters that were quite underplayed that could have had more attention paid to them e.g. Stanford and Anthony and their relationship/friendship. Overall its good but like a good shoe im gonna have to wear it out a few times before i can say i love it.

A system of cells interlinked

Sean is good in The Boost (1988) with Jimmy Woods and I think my favorite performance is in the Americanized Cousins (1989) with Ted Danson, though most of her best scenes are with William Petersen. I think she's more than solid in No Way Out (1987), too. Obviously she's had her share of issues off-screen and it's not that she has a huge range, but given the right material I've always thought she can more than hold her own in front of the camera.

Neither version of A Kiss Before Dying has been good. The 1956 flick with Robert Wagner and Joanne Woodward is pretty awful. But the book is excellent! Perhaps someday the right person will come along to adapt it?
Ah, The Boost... I remember that flick. I must thank that flick for making me never want to try cocaine. I forgot she was in that role, it's been so long.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Mummy - Such a fun, unapologetic b-movie. Cool special effects, a silly plot, Rachel Weisz is a beautiful damsel in distress, and Brendan Fraser makes a great action hero. Love it.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've got a load of recent watches which I don't feel need major write-ups, so let me get some of those out of the way here.

The Curse of the Fly (Don Sharp, 1965)
- I'll be the first to say that The Fly movies are all watchable for fans of the horror/sci-fi genre, and this one has a few twisted scenes and some philosophical discussions on teleportation. Although interesting as being the first British-made Fly flick, it's ultimately just too low-budget, and Brian Donlevy looks and sounds like he's on death's door.

Destination Tokyo (Delmer Daves, 1943)
- Good propaganda submarine film made during WWII, with a superb cast, headed by Cary Grant and John Garfield, delivers some good filmmaking and action, but at 135 minutes, it does go on far too long. Even so, interesting to see this subject made at the height of the U.S. making "propaganda" war adventure flicks (Wake Island, Air Force, Action in the North Atlantic, Sahara, etc.) If we'd lost the war, would all these filmmakers and actors have been viified as Leni Riefenstahls?

Hiding Out (Bob Giraldi, 1987)
- Yes, this is another '80s film, but I never considered that a slam myself. It's a decent blend of the "escape from a hitman" and "high school comedy" genres, and it still works surprisingly well, perhaps because it's a bit more serious than most, and the cast (Jon Cryer, Annabeth Gish, Keith Coogan) performs much better than expected.

The Bishop's Wife (Henry Koster, 1947)
- Classic Holiday fantasy is just a notch below It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street. The story of an angel (Cary Grant) coming to help an Episcopalian bishop (David Niven) and becoming mutually attracted to his wife (Loretta Young) is still good for some laughs and tears, no matter what season it is. Still better than the remake, The Preacher's Wife with Denzel and Whitney.

Gerry (Gus Van Sant, 2002)
- For the people who believe that 2001 is the slowest film ever made, what do you think of this one? Matt Damon and Casey Affleck stop their car in the desert, get out, walk around, get lost, barely talk, do ridiculous things, amid some occasionally breathtaking photography and then tragedy ensues. I'm not sure what to make of this, even though I've watched it twice. By that, I mean, why was this film ever made? A nature documentary on this general area would have been more interesting. Of course, I said the same thing about Nic Roeg's Walkabout, but that film is about 10 times more captivating than Gerry, probably my vote for lousiest film of the 2000s.

Babe (Chris Noonan, 1995)
- This film still makes you laugh and feel good in its depiction of the little pig who could. Watching this fairy tale again, I'm really struck by the earnestness of all the animals' performances (Hugo Weaving, in particular, in his "fugitive duck" speech) and how they provide so much of the film's humor. It's also quite amazing the telepathic bond which Babe (Christine Cavanaugh) and his owner Farmer Hoggett (James Cromwell) seem to have. This is certainly miles ahead of any other "live-action" talking animals flick.

The Wedding Singer (Frank Coraci, 1998)
- This is my fave Adam Sandler "Adam Sandler" movie, although my fave Adam Sandler "Non-Adam Sandler" movie, Punch-Drunk Love, receives the same rating from me. This one just contains more romantic sweetness and less coarseness than his other early films. That's probably why his true fans think this one is wimpy. I like the '80s soundrack and the relationship between Sandler and the adorable Drew Barrymore. Plus there are just enough traditional Sandler bits, albeit funnier than usual, to keep it a bit edgy.

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price (Robert Greenwald, 2005)
- The director of Xanadu (!!) turns his sights on Wal-Mart, and although the results are a bit strident and one-note, it's well worth watching this documentary with an agenda because it does affect so many people's lives. I'm not going to go into the details because today it should be old news, but it's a good thing to just see what happens when a Wal-Mart turns up in a new neighborhood and how some people have successfully beaten the biggest corporation in the world at its own game.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Heh, I'm with you on Gerry. It stank the place out, didn't it?

Hmmmm, worst film of the 2000s? That's got me thinking. I just wish I could search my Movie Tab posts by rating.

You're a Genius all the time
Dead Fish (Charley Stadler, 2004)

Yeesh, this is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I found it in my local Target's bargain bin (DVDs at $3.99 a pop) and bought it on a whim because I liked who was in it and because I was still on an offbeat-hitman-high from the beyond awesome In Bruges. But this thing really is just a complete load. What kills me the most about it is the amount of talent here. Gary Oldman, Billy Zane, Terrence Stamp and Robert Carlyle sounds like a cool cast and all, but aside from a few goofy throwaway gags, everybody's pretty horrible here. And "poorly written" doesn't even begin to describe the level of suckitude of Dead Fish's script. I don't even want to think about this movie anymore. Just a very lame, very stiff waste of time.

I don't recall those other two, but I LOVE Cousins. If you haven't seen it, Sedai, give it a try. I also love the love song/theme song, whatever in it. Not that that's important, but I now need to get the movie out, so I can listen to it.

I also like her in Once Upon a Crime. I am probably alone on this one.

the Innocents (1961)
i had a hard time with this film, really. i went into it with high hopes but spent the majority of the movie waiting for something to happen, and nothing ever did. the ending was pretty disappointing, too. i was reading reviews on Netflix though, and it seems i am alone in my opinion. the whole 'haunted house/possessed children' thing has of course been re-done since then, and in my opinion, done much, much better.
I've been hearing great things about this movie since I joined here. I will get it this October. I always buy new movies for the holidays. It makes for a good excuse.

He is from Village of the Damned. I love that movie.

Cousins (1989)

5/5

I go to look for a song, and end up watching it. I love it, but it is too much like my life, minus the happy ending.
OK, back on the shelf.

This is why I watch so many crappy movies.

Seriously!

The People's Republic of Clogher
Chris??? What can you do about this?
I've not used the standard MoFo ratings in this thread though - I wouldn't want 12 hours work by Our Glorious Leader to go to waste because I'm lazy...

Anyway. Domino - Even by Tony Scott's standards, that one was a steamer. I'm pretty sure I gave that 10% (or half a star, etc, anyway if I didn't I should have) but is it worse than Gerry?

Gus van Sant and Tony Scott, up against the wall!

I've had a bit of a hiatus from movie watching recently and caught a closing down sale by a shop in town where I picked up 10 X Files DVDs (40-odd episodes) for a tenner.

I watched and loved the first few seasons when they were first shown but wasn't a regular viewer of the later ones. A decade or so on it struck me how poor a lot of these episodes actually are, nothing more than running down darkened corridors with a torch chasing a jobbing actor in Halloween makeup which seemed to have been applied by a distracted child...

...and then there were the 'theme' episodes...

There was one spot of solace by this trip down memory lane, however - I'd never seen in Gillian Anderson what the majority of my peers did. I'm now in love with her eyes.