Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Colombiana

I don't like this kind of movies but this one is definetely interesting

The Bib-iest of Nickels

The movie was an absolute trip as far as cinematography goes, at least for the first forty or so minutes, afterward, it began becoming incoherent and clumsy with a lot of its storytelling. The movie is about a detective who seeks help from a retired officer with schizophrenia. They set everything in motion and because of the remoteness and bizarre scenes, you really do feel as confused and bewildered as you'd expect to feel while watching the inner-working of a man with schizophrenia. I can't say entirely for sure whether or not it's an accurate portrayal, but considering that they don't spell-out that he has schizophrenia, I feel like they were free to take any type of creative liberty that they wanted. I also had to watch the movie with sub-titles which isn't something that I usually enjoy doing, however, I found that it sort-of added to the second-hand feeling of everything, as if it made it an even larger unknown than before, if that makes sense.

However, under the weight of its eccentricities and uniqueness, the story begins to crumble within the second-half. The movie becomes allover the place and too far gone for its own good. Thankfully, the last thirty minutes begin to get back on track, although, it's unable to do the beginning justice. I did appreciate the very end, however. If only for audacity and spectacle. Ultimately, the movie was ambitious, had a lot going for it in-terms of concept, however, had too much chaos, incoherency, ridiculousness, and audacity to function properly. I don't regret watching it on concept alone, but I didn't love it. This was the first movie that I watched out of the ten movies I picked, because it's one of the two movies that is sub-titled and I wanted to get them out of the way. Why not simply skip them? I am always looked for another sub-titled flick that I adore as much as Oldboy, or even enjoy as much as TimeCrimes or Let the Right One In.

1. Mad Detective (2007) - Finished - 6.0/10.0
  2. Y Tu Mamá También (2001)
  3. Nobody Knows (2004)
  4. Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005)
  5. Fish Tank (2009)
  6. The Other Woman (2009)
  7. The Killer Inside Me (2010)
  8. The Angels’ Share (2012)
  9. Sightseers (2012)
  10. Ain’t Them Bodies Saints (2013)

A system of cells interlinked

Donnie Darko

The hell did I just watch?

Rating: N/A

A pretty great little film. It's basically a time travel story that plays with the ideas in The Last Temptation of Christ (which Donnie goes to see with his GF as part of a double feature with Evil Dead). Sort of a twist on it, in that Donnie is about to die, sees into the future (which is in essence, time travel in itself), which is presented as sort of a tangent universe, and then chooses to sacrifice himself to save everyone. Along with the clues at the cinema in the film, Noah Wiley's character discusses God's Path etc. with Donnie, until he has to shut Donnie down for fear of losing his job.

Everyone in the tangent universe is either manipulated living or manipulated dead, all gravitating towards Donnie. This is the explanation for everyone acting really weird in various scenes; they are sort of being manipulated by universal (perhaps divine) forces.

It is also sort of a weird Superhero flick in some ways. Great tone and atmosphere, and an excellent score sort of carry the viewer through the films flaws, of which it has a few.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
X-Man:Origins...Well this is 2nd time I watch it,first time when it was brand new and today,it is raining whole day and it was on TV so yea...

First of all,story was bad,acting was mehhh,atmosphere was horrible,I was thinking about other movies while watching this cra*.I don't need to know how Logan got his clothes,why would I want to know that?Or here is an idea if you want to do it,don't make it so boring,also is he Superman in this movie or what?Because I don't think bullets should be bouncing off,I mean he ain't Robocop.And that scene when his,you know who dies in the woods,so bad scene,I didn't give fu*k about that person,why should I,we knew nothing about here and we didn't even saw her die,I mean she didn't even try to escape...Dialog is WTF,a kid could write it better...And we can talk about what they did to Deadpool for years,how can someone say "yea that is smart let's do it"?...If you are fan of Wolverine and good movies,avoid this one...

VERDICT-4-10...

Finished here. It's been fun.
Antichrist

What did I just watch haha? I give it a
cause I've never seen anything like this before.Movie is at times beautiful and at others absolutely sickening. There's a certain scene thats on a whole nother' level of messed up.

Antichrist

What did I just watch haha? I give it a
cause I've never seen anything like this before.Movie is at times beautiful and at others absolutely sickening. There's a certain scene thats on a whole nother' level of messed up.
I had similar feelings and gave it the same rating. I think it may actually be a great movie but I'm too scared to re-watch it ...

A pretty great little film. It's basically a time travel story that plays with the ideas in The Last Temptation of Christ (which Donnie goes to see with his GF as part of a double feature with Evil Dead). Sort of a twist on it, in that Donnie is about to die, sees into the future (which is in essence, time travel in itself), which is presented as sort of a tangent universe, and then chooses to sacrifice himself to save everyone. Along with the clues at the cinema in the film, Noah Wiley's character discusses God's Path etc. with Donnie, until he has to shut Donnie down for fear of losing his job.

Everyone in the tangent universe is either manipulated living or manipulated dead, all gravitating towards Donnie. This is the explanation for everyone acting really weird in various scenes; they are sort of being manipulated by universal (perhaps divine) forces.

It is also sort of a weird Superhero flick in some ways. Great tone and atmosphere, and an excellent score sort of carry the viewer through the films flaws, of which it has a few.
Thanks for this little summation. I'm still unsure what to make of the movie hence why I didn't post a rating. Part of me definitely did like the film though another part of me is frustrated because I had something totally different built up in my mind of what the film would be about. I definitely do think it's one of those films that takes mulitiple viewings to fully understand and appreciate the film.

The Five Year Engagement

Not a bad film at all. Emily Blunt was one of the main reasons why I watched this, and it also helped having Alison Brie. Two very hot ladies. Story was OK, a few laugh out loud moments which is what you would expect with a movie as such as this. Thought it would have been better if it was a little shorter, the movie was just over 2 hours long and I feel that's much too long for a movie of this genre.

7/10

Lost in Translation

Having heard very mixed opinions on this movie I decided to watch it. It was okay for me. The movie wasn't groundbreaking nor was it engaging, it was an easy watch though I couldn't help but feel bored throughout. I understood the theme of the movie and I can also see why people consider this a great movie though it just didn't resonate with me. Scarlett and Murray were great though, and had a great on-screen chemistry with one another. Overall a decent movie, I probably won't ever go back to it though.

6/10

The Bib-iest of Nickels

This movie is a lot more of what I was expecting whenever I whipped up this little list of movies to watch. Mad Detective had ambition, but only provided minimal entertainment value when the audacity and novelty of it was lost. Sightseers was a lot of fun, and about what I wanted to see. At first, I thought that the movie's humor would entirely be based upon the awkward tweaks and quirks of a mundane couple interested in boring things like visiting the Pencil Museum, and things like that. However, I am happy to say that while it certainly maintained the awkwardness as the movie progressed, it took a very grisly turn.

The camera-work and overall look of the movie had me thinking "Safety Not Guaranteed" a lot of the time, and I can't particularly articulate the reason why. Safety Not Guaranteed was also a very fun, albeit awkward movie to experience in itself. Ultimately, Sightseers was a refreshing film with two enjoyable characters, and a story excelled by its own entertainment value. What it's missing in-terms of heart and emotion, it makes up for in its own way with uniqueness and charm.
  1. Mad Detective (2007) - Finished - 6.0/10.0
  2. Y Tu Mamá También (2001)
  3. Nobody Knows (2004)
  4. Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005)
  5. Fish Tank (2009)
  6. The Other Woman (2009)
  7. The Killer Inside Me (2010)
  8. The Angels’ Share (2012)
  9. Sightseers (2012) - Finished - 7.4/10.0
  10. Ain’t Them Bodies Saints (2013)

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide

Often considered to the figurehead of the Iranian New Wave, this is a very honest and interesting tale. However, it was a severely distracting viewing on my behalf, as I found myself constantly pausing and playing. On top of that, the actual quality of the copy I was watching was substandard at best. So you could say I did not get a lot out of this film. Some short praises goes immediately to its photography, as the film pursues a very verisimilitude authentic style. The acting was a bit choppy and downright silly at times, though, and I think it is imperative that one needs to have a slight understanding of Iranian culture and society (to a degree) or else its story can come across as highly exaggerated and a bit doltish. Unfortunately, it was the latter for me.

Fruitvale Station

Really gripping drama that focuses on the life of Oscar Grant, a man who is wrongly killed by police in an incident at the Fruitvale Station. Thought this was a great movie that tugged at all the right strings. It felt very realistic in the way in which each character was presented. There were moments that had the feel good vibe, but the whole way through you know it's all going to end badly, and the movie did a good job with the way they handled the incident and its re-enactment. Good acting all around too, especially from Michael B. Jordan, who is a solid young actor with a bright future.

8/10

^
Fruitvale Station was a very solid movie. I really enjoyed it. I'd be interested to see what the director, Ryan Coogler, will do next. Dude is like in his mid 20s, so much talent. His story is fascinating you should read up on him. Be interested to see if he stays in a true story comfort zone lane or if he will spread his wings. Incredible first movie for sure.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

But what I came here for was movie I just watched Frozen

Well, I was pleasantly surprised by this flick. I saw the trailers and thought it looked really silly and the snowman in the commercials really annoyed me. Damn was I wrong, the snowman was one of the best parts of the movie, he never really got cheesy at all which is what I thought he would be. I know it might be blasphemy to rank this up there with Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story belonging to my age bracket (mid 20s) but it was really good. If I were 10 or so it would be a classic to me when I get older, like those films were to me now. It falls into more of the Aladdin and Lion King category, disney of the 90s before Pixar.

I gave it a chance because word of mouth on it was so strong. The first 20 minutes or so I was like what the hell am I watching? It was really sappy and generic, but after that the characters they introduce bring a life and a voice all it's own. Plus they poke fun of the first 20 minutes or so which was great. There are a lot of songs in it, its a musical, at first it was distracting, song every 2 minutes or so, but they start spreading them out and they are good songs.

Really great ending and the story turned out to be fantastic. The characters are actually pretty complex (well complex for a kid's movie) and the themes are honestly outstanding. It's just fun Disney animation that beckoned back to my childhood it was alot of fun. If you have kids I definitely recommend going to see it. Even if not get it a shot. I love a smart animation.

I'd give it 4.5 out of 5. I really enjoyed it.

Wow, sounds like people are really enjoying this movie. I better add it to the list.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Blow Out (1981)

A great surprise, I absolutely loved it ! It's the best De Palma I've seen so far (the other two being Scarface and The Untouchables). It reminded me a lot of the Coppola movie The Conversation in a way that the main character starts to being a little paranoid and that they're both right about it. Also both movies use a lot of sound recording device. I'd say it's a artsy action thriller. I absolutely loved the shot where, at the end, De Palma made a very drastic cut from the murder to a beautiful snowy landscape with Travolta listening to the recordings he had.

The Color Purple (1985)

It's a really good film that show's us an other side of the afro American situation in the early 1900's. Non only it was hard to be black, but how hard it was to be a women. I loved the scene where Oprah Winfray's character basically knock out punch a white man who is being racist. It shows that in such regimes if you decide to stick for your values and just reciprocate to a slap you might have a terrible life for it ..

It was a standalone film. That's just one of the reasons it was brilliant.
Well yeah, I know it WAS, But it's not now. Which is why my perceptions of it, and the other 2 would probably differ now than if I watched them at time of release.

I watched the second in the trilogy last night. Before Sunset. And I think if I had been watching them at the time I would have been absolutely "hooked" and enveloped in the story. They're still a very good watch. The second is much the same as the first. Well directed, free flowing tight but workable script. The ending was again brilliant. It almost ended mid-sentence. But it just works fabulously.

Trigun: Badlands Rumble, a fun and funny steampunkish space western featuring lovable rogue Vash. Decent story, cool action with plenty of humor, a bit too sappy in a few parts but overall I had a good time. 7/10
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

LAKEVIEW TERRACE...A muddled and aggravating suburban thriller that takes too long to get to its point, despite a powerhouse performance from Samuel L. Jackson...5/10.