Senso's Top 10 Favorite Actors

Tools    

Be a freak, like me too
I like the topic of Derek Vinyard, so I hope he will forgive me for this theft

Let's start!

#10 Marlon Brando - an actor named desire
(1924 - 2004)

I have to admit I haven't seen a lot of films with Marlon Brando but he was fascinating. He had a such sensual presence on the screen which drives me mad. It was a beast ! I've seen a documentary film about him the last year (Marlon Brando : An Actor Named Desire) which revealed how insane he was. I think he could have been to act Dominique Strauss-Kahn in a film

I've seen :
On The Waterfront (my favorite with Marlon) - One Eyes-Jacks - The Nightcomers - The Godfather - The Last Tango In Paris and Apocalypse Now.
(And : You Rock My World. No, I'm kidding )

You?! What's your favorite film with Marlon?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
On The Waterfront
Last Tango In Paris
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Godfather

I never heard of that documentary, could only find a 45 second trailer

Be a freak, like me too
Thank you for your answers! I'll try to watch A Streetcar Named Desire in the next days because I'm on holidays

#9 Dirk Bogarde
(1921 - 1999)

What a classy man! His best roles are in Joseph Losey and Luchino Visconti's films where he played tortured and ambiguous characters. Death in Venice is one of my favorite film, his performance is in my Pantheon of film buff.

I really love The Servant, Accident by Joseph Losey, The Damned by Luchino Visconti and of course the provocative film by Liliana Cavani : The Night Porter with Charlotte Rampling.
I'd like to see Providence by Alains Resnais and Victim by Basil Dearden, it's the first British film which uses the word "homosexuality". Dirk was homosexual and it was not easy to him to "show" his homosexuality until this film.

A new trailer of The Servant :

Have you seen films with Dirk? What films do you like?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Besides yours, my fave are:

King & Country
Darling
Despair
The Fixer
Oh! What a Lovely War
The Password Is Courage
Damn the Defiant!
Libel
A Tale of Two Cities
So Long at the Fair
Quartet

Be a freak, like me too
Wow! You're an expert
I didn't like King & Country very much but I should try to see it again. Darling seems nice, I'll try to watch it!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
King & Country is a bloody masterpiece, my chaps!

Be a freak, like me too
Yes, yes... I'll watch it again - (one day )

#8 Jean-Pierre Léaud
(1944 - )

He's famous for the role of Antoine Doinel, the alter-ego of François Truffaut in The 400 Blows, Antoine and Colette, Stolen Kisses, Bed and Board and in Love On The Run.

Jean-Pierre Léaud has an unusual phrasing. A lot of people don't like the "artificial" way he talks but to me he
talks like a melody and it's a pleasure to listen to him. He has also an elegant gesture and something of aristocratic. He had a rich and varied carrer, worked for Truffaut, Godard, Cocteau, Pasolini, Skolimowski, Garrel, Eustache, Rocha, etc.

With F. Truffaut

Films I've seen and my fav in bold :

The 400 Blows, F. Truffaut
Testament Of Orpheus, J. Cocteau
Antoine and Colette, F. Truffaut
Pierrot Le Fou, J.-L. Godard (as an extra)
Santa Claus Has Blue Eyes, J. Eustache
Alphaville, J.-L. Godard
Stolen Kisses, F. Truffaut
Pigsty, P. P. Pasolini
Bed And Board, F. Truffaut
Last Tango In Paris, B. Bertolucci
The Mother And The Whore, J. Eutache
Day For Night, F. Truffaut
Love On The Run, F. Truffaut
36 Fillette, C. Breillat
Le Havre, A. Kaurismäki

Even if I'm not a huge fan of Godard, I'd like to see La Chinoise.

The first audition of Léaud for The 400 Blows, he's so cute

Day For Night, a film about a filming

I wonder if Jean-Pierre Léaud is still really well known in France. I watch a lot of french television, but I've never seen him being interviewed, I've never even seen him in a movie after the 1970's.

Be a freak, like me too
I suppose people our age don't know him except those who are interested in cinema but in my parents' generations (50's), he is well known even for those who are not film buffs. We don't see him on the TV because he doesn't act a lot anymore and I suppose he's not interested by TV and by promotion. It could be possible to see him on Arte and that's all!

Be a freak, like me too
#7 Gian Maria Volontè
(1933 - 1994)

I suppose he's best known for his roles in Leone's films like A Few More Dollars and A Fistul Of Dollars. His best roles are in political and social Italian films : his feverish perform in The Working Class Goes To Heaven is amazing. The kafkaesque Investigation Of A Citizen Above Suspicion is one of the best and clever film about corruption which is still relevant in our time. Volontè was an activist and accepted to play only in films with a political aspect.

A short extract of Investigation Of A Citizen Above Suspicion (I do some promotion for this film ). But really, it's not a film "trapped" in a left political vision. Even my best friend who can't stand Volontè, Petri and the (Italian) militant cinema loves this film It's very ironic.

If you like Leone's films, maybe you'll like A Bullet For The General, it's one of the best western spaghetti.

Films I've seen with Gian Maria and my fav are in bold :

For A Fistul Of Dollar
s, S. Leone
For A Few More Dollars, S. Leone
A Bullet For The General, D. Damiani
Face To Face,
S. Sollima
We Still Kill The Old Way, E. Petri
Many Wars Ago, F. Ro
si - the Italian Paths Of Glory
The Working Class Goe
s To Heaven, E. Petri
Slap The Mon
ster On Page One, M. Bellocchio

I'd like to
see : Christ Stopped At Eboli, Bandits in Milan, Sacco e Vanzetti, Todo Modo, I Am Afraid, The Mattei Affair, Plot, Giordano Bruno...

I've seen his tomb on the beautiful sardinian Island La Maddalena There's a quote of Paul Valéry on the tomb :

The wind rises, we must try to live.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Yes, yes... I'll watch it again - (one day )

#8 Jean-Pierre Léaud
(1944 - )

He's famous for the role of Antoine Doinel, the alter-ego of François Truffaut in The 400 Blows, Antoine and Colette, Stolen Kisses, Bed and Board and in Love On The Run.

Jean-Pierre Léaud has an unusual phrasing. A lot of people don't like the "artificial" way he talks but to me he
talks like a melody and it's a pleasure to listen to him. He has also an elegant gesture and something of aristocratic. He had a rich and varied carrer, worked for Truffaut, Godard, Cocteau, Pasolini, Skolimowski, Garrel, Eustache, Rocha, etc.

With F. Truffaut

Films I've seen and my fav in bold :

The 400 Blows, F. Truffaut
Testament Of Orpheus, J. Cocteau
Antoine and Colette, F. Truffaut
Pierrot Le Fou, J.-L. Godard (as an extra)
Santa Claus Has Blue Eyes, J. Eustache
Alphaville, J.-L. Godard
Stolen Kisses, F. Truffaut
Pigsty, P. P. Pasolini
Bed And Board, F. Truffaut
Last Tango In Paris, B. Bertolucci
The Mother And The Whore, J. Eutache
Day For Night, F. Truffaut
Love On The Run, F. Truffaut
36 Fillette, C. Breillat
Le Havre, A. Kaurismäki

Even if I'm not a huge fan of Godard, I'd like to see La Chinoise.

The first audition of Léaud for The 400 Blows, he's so cute

Day For Night, a film about a filming
Wasn't he also in "Last Tango In Paris"?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I really like Volontè. He often seems larger than life, but it's always to make a larger, usually satirical, point. I own ...Above Suspicion and Many Wars Ago, which would be my two favorite of his. He's excellent in The Mattei Affair which Rosi directs as a thriller rather than a biography. Have you seen Le Circle Rouge and The Four Days of Naples?

Be a freak, like me too
I still haven't seen the films of Melville! (Shame on me )
I don't know The Four Days Of Naples, it's an interesting film?

I have to see The Mattei Affair but it doesn't exist in DVD (don't know if there is an American edition?)

BTW, I'm really impressed by all the films you've seen Mark F!

#6 Ivan Rassimov
(1938 - 2004)

Ivan Rassimov (or "Sean Todd" ) is not an important actor, he was used to play villains in Italian B-movies because of his chiseled face. But I really like him, he had a presence and I think he was unexploited. I watched some bad movies just to have the pleasure to see him. I remember I read a text about him written by his daughter who said that her father was discrete and not very interested by fame. His sister Rada Rassimov was actress too.

Films I've seen (my fav in bold) :

The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh, S. Martino
All The Colors Of The Dark, S. Martino
Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key, S. Martino - my favorite movie title
The Man From The Deep River, U. Lenzi - One of the first cannibal movie, but more an adventure movie to my mind
Un Bianco Vestito Per Marailé, R. Scavolini

Si può essere più bastardi dell'ispettore Cliff ? M. Dallamano - not a very good poliziottesco but he has the lead role
Spasmo, U. Lenzi
Rome Armed To The Teeth, U. Lenzi
Quelli Della Calibro 38, M. Dallamano
Last Cannibal World, R. Deodato
Shock, M. Bava
Eaten Alive! U. Lenzi

I love the punch sounds and the indestructible brossing of Maurizio Merli