Things that annoy you...

Tools    

That my boss, who is Mexican and speaks English as a second language, is too lazy to translate our surgery release form into Spanish so that our Mexican clients can actually read it. It's so much fun trying to assist someone who can't read English and speaks/understands English only a little to fill out a form that is several pages long.
Why not get Google to translate the darn thing into English & print that out? It’s horrible to depend on someone else to do something you need. This way you could be independent.

Why not get Google to translate the darn thing into English & print that out? It’s horrible to depend on someone else to do something you need. This way you could be independent.
Because google translate is garbage.

I imagine context makes a big difference. I find it very useful for getting a general idea of what someone's saying (and it's deeply impressive that it can even do that!), but I'm guessing it's wildly insufficient for nuanced or subtle communication.

I imagine context makes a big difference. I find it very useful for getting a general idea of what someone's saying (and it's deeply impressive that it can even do that!), but I'm guessing it's wildly insufficient for nuanced or subtle communication.
I agree. It translates sufficiently that I can understand something I couldn’t understand 5 minutes before.

A system of cells interlinked
I speak a fair amount of Spanish, having grown up in my childhood years relatively close to the MEX/AZ border, and I find Google translate is useful to get me out of binds at work when I have to talk with a Spanish-speaking customer. I have never run into any convo breaking errors with it but yes, much of the nuance and especially colloquialism is lost in translation, as they say.

The customer already knows they are talking to a white boy, so the fact that I am trying to communicate with them in their language is usually enough to put them at ease and they don't mind working through things with me if we get stuck. A valuable tool, but far from perfect.

Perhaps you could run the form through translate and then see if your boss will correct it, which would be much less work for him?

Or maybe just send the form to Seds and he can send an English version back - sounds like he's volunteering to me

That I'm not rich.

Bought tickets to see Lindsey Buckingham in Napa on April 12th. Got 4th row. Spent like $560. After I bought those, a San Francisco show was announced. Tickets went on sale today. Out of curiosity (masochism?) I looked to see what was available and pulled front row. It absolutely killed me to not pull the trigger on them but I just don't have an additional $630, especially so soon after buying the Napa tickets and so soon after losing a bunch of hours at work due to having Covid last month.

Perhaps you could run the form through translate and then see if your boss will correct it, which would be much less work for him?
This is a great idea. I hope her boss appreciates the initiative.

That I'm not rich.

Bought tickets to see Lindsey Buckingham in Napa on April 12th. Got 4th row. Spent like $560. After I bought those, a San Francisco show was announced. Tickets went on sale today. Out of curiosity (masochism?) I looked to see what was available and pulled front row. It absolutely killed me to not pull the trigger on them but I just don't have an additional $630, especially so soon after buying the Napa tickets and so soon after losing a bunch of hours at work due to having Covid last month.
Mind-boggling how much tickets cost. May I ask how many tix $630 purchases?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
That I'm not rich.

Mind p-boggling how much tickets cost. May I ask how many tix $630 purchases?

Over $500 for only two tickets?! I had no idea that tickets were so expensive.

I haven't gone to a concert in a long time, but the last time I bought tickets they were less than $50 each for floor seats.

I used to love going to concerts, but now I'm glad that I stopped going to them. I'd rather watch the concert on DVD for $20 than spend hundreds of dollars to see them live.

Over $500 for only two tickets?! I had no idea that tickets were so expensive.
TBF, these are not standard tickets and that was the price after all the stupid Ticketmaster fees. They're VIP tickets. He's not doing meet and greets due to Covid (I'm still kicking myself for not shelling out for the meet and greet on his 2018 tour. I may not get another opportunity), but VIP gets you into a pre-concert show where he talks and plays a few songs, an autographed poster, a laminated pass, one free merch item (I've heard it's a hat), and early access to the merchandise table. I think the cheap seats are like $67 before the fees, but I refuse to do cheap seats if I can possibly avoid them because it's a way better experience up close. Plus I'm short and near-sighted.

Also, this tour very nearly didn't happen because he almost died in 2019. He survived thanks to emergency open-heart surgery but that surgery nearly ended his career due to damage to his vocal cords. He is the only musician in the world who I would even consider paying these kinds of prices to see. I think the Napa show will be my 7th time seeing him solo and 10th or 11th time overall if you include the Fleetwood Mac shows I went to (can't remember if there were 3 or 4. I think 4). For me, he is to music what Joaquin Phoenix is to movies - but times like 5.

TBF, these are not standard tickets and that was the price after all the stupid Ticketmaster fees. They're VIP tickets. He's not doing meet and greets due to Covid (I'm still kicking myself for not shelling out for the meet and greet on his 2018 tour. I may not get another opportunity), but VIP gets you into a pre-concert show where he talks and plays a few songs, an autographed poster, a laminated pass, one free merch item (I've heard it's a hat), and early access to the merchandise table. I think the cheap seats are like $67 before the fees, but I refuse to do cheap seats if I can possibly avoid them because it's a way better experience up close. Plus I'm short and near-sighted.
I've done a few meet and greets at collectible shows and comic cons, but not at concerts. Although I have stayed after concerts where the singer stayed to sign autographs after the concert. (That's one of the benefits of being a country music fan in New York. They play at some of the smaller venues, so they're more personal shows.)

I've never paid for the meet and greets at collectible shows and comic cons because I sell at the shows, so the promoter lets me in for free. I had no idea they were so expensive. (Except for the Stan Lee meet and greet, with Henry Winkler and a few other celebs. I know some people paid hundreds of dollars to get into that meet and greet.)

Also, this tour very nearly didn't happen because he almost died in 2019. He survived thanks to emergency open-heart surgery but that surgery nearly ended his career due to damage to his vocal cords. He is the only musician in the world who I would even consider paying these kinds of prices to see. I think the Napa show will be my 7th time seeing him solo and 10th or 11th time overall if you include the Fleetwood Mac shows I went to (can't remember if there were 3 or 4. I think 4). For me, he is to music what Joaquin Phoenix is to movies - but times like 5.
I missed seeing Conway Twitty on his last tour. I had tickets, and I was supposed to go with a friend, but something came up and we had to cancel, so we missed the show. Sadly, he died before his next tour started.

TBF, these are not standard tickets and that was the price after all the stupid Ticketmaster fees.
I think the Ticketmaster fees on the tickets for the last concert I went to was something like $2 or $3 per ticket. That's how long it's been since I've gone to a concert.

I missed seeing Conway Twitty on his last tour. I had tickets, and I was supposed to go with a friend, but something came up and we had to cancel, so we missed the show. Sadly, he died before his next tour started.
I missed the last Tom Petty tour because money was tight at the time and I figured I’d catch him on the next one. He died very shortly after the end of that tour. No way am I letting that happen with Buckingham.

I missed the last Tom Petty tour because money was tight at the time and I figured I’d catch him on the next one. He died very shortly after the end of that tour. No way am I letting that happen with Buckingham.

There are a few artists that I missed their final tours, not because they died, but because they retired unexpectedly. Even though they're artists that I've seen several times, I still regret missing their final tours. Neil Diamond and George Strait are the two that I regret missing the most because I could have gone, but I was just too busy and I figured that I would catch them on their next tour.

Believe it or not, same thing happened to me with Lynyrd Skynyrd in '77. They played here a month before the plane crash. My two best friends went to the show. I was pissed because of just breaking up with my girlfriend so I stayed home and pouted.

Never forgave that woman...

Believe it or not, same thing happened to me with Lynyrd Skynyrd in '77. They played here a month before the plane crash. My two best friends went to the show. I was pissed because of just breaking up with my girlfriend so I stayed home and pouted.

Never forgave that woman...
Ouch.

Fortunately, I'd seen Petty 4 or 5 times on previous tours so I didn't completely miss out but I've been a fan since I was 8 years old. This year will be 5 years since his death. Still haven't forgiven myself for not buying those tix.

There are other free translation sites. Used one years ago to speak Finnish to some other people online.

Me.

I had the steroid injections in my neck that I've been waiting for and I did not react well to being a patient in a hospital again. Lots of triggering going on and yesterday wasn't very good. Today did seem a bit better, but the longer it goes on, the more I'm doing to sabatage it. I know I'm working through it and that it'll pass, it's just really annoying atm that I can't be in control of it or make it happen quicker.