Films from Video Games

Tools    

Now this thread may have been done before and if it has I apologise but I did look I swear.

I have not seen many video game adaptions to films and could count them on one hand;

The Mario Brothers
Streetfighter - The Movie
Mortal Kombat

None of them in my opinion are very good but really Streetfighter was so bad it only just passed the "good to laugh at", really the only saving grace was Raul Julia because at least he was trying, I just got the feeling the others were not, I almost got the feeling that the film makers were laughing at people who liked the games to begin with and that isn't good enough.

Can you think of others you have seen? Did they work and if they didn't why didn't it work? Is the film almost a kiss of death for the franchise?

I argue that the first Mortal Kombat movie is the best live action film adaptation of a video game. That does not say much though. While I still like Mortal Kombat the movie, lets face it any MK movie should be R rated. And I absolutely hated the sequel.

Another crap video game movies include one that really ticked me off was Doom. All you need is three things to make a Doom movie. Marines, Mars, and Hell. And we got a very good cast for the Marines, it was set on Mars, but for some reason the makers decided to make Hell a metaphor and go with some BS genetic story. I mean the first half is good, but it falls apart completely at the end.

I guess maybe the best actual video game property movie might be the Street Fighter II: Animated Movie. It is a fun flick and the characters are easier to bring to life in animation. But that is also a pretty average flick.

The Max Payne movie sucked balls. There was barely any slow motion in it (which is what made the Max Payne games stand out) and the story was weird and different and didn't really stay true to the game.
Fire walk with me.

Brimming with rififi!
I've always found it bizarre how books, comic books, television shows, real-life events, etc., etc., have been successfully adapted for film, yet video games continue to be a medium in which filmmakers just can't seem to get right. Mortal Kombat was a fun movie, but by no means a great movie, I hate Resident Evil and its subsequent sequel, and don't get me started on Uwe Boll.

I am, however, hopeful that the film adaptions for The Last of Us, Warcraft, and Uncharted will change this untamed landscape and give video game/film enthusiasts something worth watching.

I think part of the reason for video games not making it is because people have so much invested in them, not just time but emotionally and historically. There was little chance that SF was going to live up to the expectations that people who played the game had, for me anyway but Slinger is right, I thought the animated film was brilliant.

I would love to see The Last of Us made into a film but I worry would it simply be another zombie film? Does it need a film made of it? I really don't think it does, I loved TLOU because I felt an emotional connection and if they did do it they HAVE to do it right or I will hate it and the problem is that will be difficult if only from the point of view acting wise.

One other film that springs to mind was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, it was a truly terrible film and because of the hype and success of Final Fantasy VII & VIII perhaps people wanted more than was given but I really wish they had dropped Final Fantasy from it, I think it left a bitter taste in some peoples mouths.

Okay you guys are all wrong. First of all Mortal Kombat was not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination. Second of all Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was actually half decent. You are probably just disappointed because you were expecting something different. Finally there are some actually good films adapted from video games.

Silent Hill was decently scary and Radha Mitchell did a very good job as the main role. The Street Fighter II and Street Fighter Alpha animes were actually pretty decent. Ninja Gaiden (1991) is a cool little obscure anime gem. Wing Commander is pretty good. The first Need for Speed wasn't bad. And The Dead Space animated film was alright.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
The best video game - to movie is hands down SILENT HILL! (the first one)

By itself it is one of my favorite horror movies.

Very little substance... hmm... I'm not sure if that's true. But I think most of the people who didn't like it, just didn't like it because it wasn't the Final Fantasy they wanted.

Very little substance... hmm... I'm not sure if that's true. But I think most of the people who didn't like it, just didn't like it because it wasn't the Final Fantasy they wanted.
Well I never played a Final Fantasy game so I can't say that. Die hard fans of VII maybe. But not me.

I thought the plot and characters were fine. I haven't seen any other movies about the spirit of Earth being plagued by the spirits of an alien planet. I think the weakest character was the antagonist, but he wasn't that bad.

Brimming with rififi!
I think part of the reason for video games not making it is because people have so much invested in them, not just time but emotionally and historically. There was little chance that SF was going to live up to the expectations that people who played the game had, for me anyway but Slinger is right, I thought the animated film was brilliant.

I would love to see The Last of Us made into a film but I worry would it simply be another zombie film? Does it need a film made of it? I really don't think it does, I loved TLOU because I felt an emotional connection and if they did do it they HAVE to do it right or I will hate it and the problem is that will be difficult if only from the point of view acting wise.

One other film that springs to mind was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, it was a truly terrible film and because of the hype and success of Final Fantasy VII & VIII perhaps people wanted more than was given but I really wish they had dropped Final Fantasy from it, I think it left a bitter taste in some peoples mouths.
I would say that The Last of Us has a lot of potential because it is a very cinematic experience at its core. I can honestly say that the gameplay, while not bad by any means, isn't anything to write home about either. The mechanics are a mishmash of things we've already seen dozens of times throughout the plethora of action titles that have hit the shelves. The gameplay serves as a vehicle for the experience. However, it is the emotional and heartrending narrative, the superb voice acting, and the brilliantly crafted cinematic presentation that kept gamers enticed.

Prince of Persia wasn't too bad it is hard to actually think of any decent games to movies top 3 would be

1. Mortal Kombat
2. Prince of Persia
3. Silent Hill

I mean that is really stretching as well

When I was in my 20's, I used to love to go to the arcade and play

However, the movie..

was HORRIBLE!!!!

Prince of Persia wasn't too bad...
Are you kidding? I needed therapy after watching that garbage.

Edit: Oh gosh MovieGal, that House of the Dead trailer is hilarious. Especially at 1:20 when the B-movie acting jumps up a notch.

Edit: Oh gosh MovieGal, that House of the Dead trailer is hilarious. Especially at 1:20 when the B-movie acting jumps up a notch.
It wasnt a B film.... it was a mainstream film that played in theatres.... I went to go see it... and like I said.. its HORRIBLE!!!!

It wasnt a B film.... it was a mainstream film that played in theatres.... I went to go see it... and like I said.. its HORRIBLE!!!!
Really? I thought it was one of those straight to video, or tv movies. You should have at least watched the trailer before going to see it in theaters, Lol. It still doesn't look as bad as Prince of Persia though.