The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I might even play Gwent this time around. Generally can't stand CCGs, and Gwent was no exception.

Edit - Luckily it's totally optional. You don't ever need to engage with the darned thing.

Well it sounds like it's not a requirement to play. It really bugs me when I have to take part in some internal game. I didn't buy a CARD GAME! lol. Don't make me play it =\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

A system of cells interlinked
Oh man, I adore Gwent. I was the same as you guys (which is why I missed some cards first time around), but I randomly played a couple games way late in the game and ended up loving it. I scurried around trying to get all the cards, but had already completed a few quests during which some rare cards were to be had, and there was no going back!

Forget the cards...it;s all about the babes, man!

Welcome to the human race...
Following my recent powering through of the last couple of Mortal Kombat games, I picked up 11 earlier today and am now a few chapters into the Story Mode...and I'm not really feeling it as much as the other ones. I figure it took me a while a to get used to X after the 2011 game so we'll see if I can get used to 11 but the kombat itself has been changed up enough to make it a curious mix of challenging, frustrating, and yet enjoyable. It's easy enough to pick up the attacks but figuring out defence strategies is proving tough and so is the Story Mode. Plus, I don't like how each of these games seem more and more dependent on you being online - I thought it was bad that you had to use online play to unlock stuff in X but with 11 it's apparently it's at the point where you have to go online to earn koins and access the Krypt when you could just do that offline in the previous games. That might be more annoying that casting Ronda Rousey as Sonya.

Following my recent powering through of the last couple of Mortal Kombat games, I picked up 11 earlier today and am now a few chapters into the Story Mode...and I'm not really feeling it as much as the other ones. I figure it took me a while a to get used to X after the 2011 game so we'll see if I can get used to 11 but the kombat itself has been changed up enough to make it a curious mix of challenging, frustrating, and yet enjoyable. It's easy enough to pick up the attacks but figuring out defence strategies is proving tough and so is the Story Mode. Plus, I don't like how each of these games seem more and more dependent on you being online - I thought it was bad that you had to use online play to unlock stuff in X but with 11 it's apparently it's at the point where you have to go online to earn koins and access the Krypt when you could just do that offline in the previous games. That might be more annoying that casting Ronda Rousey as Sonya.
I've been watching a few character videos online for this one. As one who hasn't really played the game since it's original arcade release versions, I am thoroughly blown away by the environment layers and how much depth has been created. Really gorgeous stuff! I did pick up a version on PS3 a few years back but that was a bad experience having forgotten even the basic moves.

Totally feeling your frustration re: online walls. I'm lucky in that I've not had to experience that so directly yet, but Monster Hunter: World does have it so that every time I start a game I have to cancel out of the PS+ subscription screen just to get to my proper login screen. To start ANY game play, I'm constantly asked if I want to create online (multiplayer) sessions. Drives me batty.

If you stick with it, I'd be interested to hear progress on the story. I guess it risks spoilery stuff, but I don't think I'll ever get to play it. Or if I do, I know I won't make it very far. lol. I know my limits.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I almost bought MK11 today, but chickened out. Will get it when it hits its first sale, I think.

Compared to Street Fighter and Tekken, I've never found MK close to being as good to play.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm pretty sure you can find supercuts of every single cutscene from the last couple of games on YouTube so you can catch up on the story easily enough without playing them and I'm sure 11 will get the same treatment eventually (apparently all the X cutscenes fit into a single three-hour video so...yeah), though I may end up posting my impressions anyway - then again, how much can I really talk about the story of Mortal Kombat?

I've almost entirely managed to keep all my gaming offline for a number of reasons both preferential and practical but this is the latest in a long line of titles that makes it clear how much I apparently need it to one extent or another (even games that should ostensibly be about offline single-player experiences e.g. the time I bought the GOTY edition of Fallout 4 for the DLC but I still couldn't access said DLC without signing up for the PSN anyway).

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Somebody booted up RDR II today and remembered he can't romanticize riding a horse for 7 minutes and not having a good reason for why all the shooty' stuff is so bad.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Somebody booted up RDR II today and remembered he can't romanticize riding a horse for 7 minutes and not having a good reason for why all the shooty' stuff is so bad.
The absence of a nitro boost cheat is absurd. Have you tried tickling its balls?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Uh oh. This showed up today:

If I don't need to upgrade anything on my computer to start using this, then I'll see yinz guys sometime in 2020.

If I don't need to upgrade anything on my computer to start using this, then I'll see yinz guys sometime in 2020.
Just ran the compatibility checker. I'm good to go! See ya!

The absence of a nitro boost cheat is absurd. Have you tried tickling its balls?
I'm still lol'ing. Gah!

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
In the spirit of full disclosure...

I keep looking, but this thing's more filly than stallion.

I've been fascinated with VR for years. Maybe one day... I'm glad to not hear that you've had issues with your PC and the new kit! I was kinda worried what with how much grief the pc build was not long back.

Last night I completed my Rathion armor set! I've been stalking these boogers in Expedition Mode as I have no investigations or hunt quests that include them. That's frustrating because maybe 2 out of 5 runs are void of any Rathian. For such long load times, that gets old fast. Or should i say slow? Very very slow. So that's something I've learned. Not all monsters spawn by default. Also, if you're on Expedition Mode, all large monsters will just up and vanish off the map after about 50 minutes. It doesn't matter if it's on death's door having hunted it for 3 fights. That thing will literally limp out of frame faster than you can sprint, then *poof*. Gone. I still forget that when I'm out collecting mats and just happen upon something big.

Anyhoo. My armor set is now maxed and I have the best bow I can build without discovering new materials, which I assume are in the next unopened zone. I guess I can move on in the story line tonight. I think we're supposed to capture some elder dragon or something, so I wanted to make sure I was geared up.

Still totally digging this game. It's not as feeder pellet dispensing easy as Diablo III, and not so sub-menu deep as other RPG style games, so it is holding up well for me. MWII with swords? Maybe?

there's a frog in my snake oil
In Elite 'One Day There Will Be News' News...

THE INTERNET IS LEAKING:

The 2020 update is looking increasingly likely to be this:

+

With some added base building, of unknown dimensions.

Source? Why the internet of course:

The purported leak describes ED 2020 thusly:

Elite Dangerous (Project Watson) - Space legs. Haven’t seen any mention of atmospheric landings. FPS style gameplay, Thargoids in the flesh. Base building. Coming end of 2020. Thargoids look very Starship Trooper. Don’t expect to see much between now and then. The focus is on keeping Elite making money on the mean time.
It has recently proved correct on these two predictions:

Jurassic World Evolution (Project Nero) - New DLC will contain Acrocanthosaurs, Proceratosaurus and Herrerasaurus.
1. Planet Zoo (Project Darwin) - Announcing this month or next. Releasing October. PC only based on Planet Coaster. Cool weather effects, actually looks fairly okay. DLC packs every 3 months or so with the first being around December.
I'm not totally sold yet, could still be a very sly troll, based on knowing the former & guessing the latter (which was very guessable). If some of the other stuff slated for 2019 pans out though, it's looking like a safe bet
I'm pretty chuffed. I was definitely hoping for running around, pew pew, and getting the pants scared off me in VR

(Also watching reactions from the Star Citizen hard-core will be amusing )

I've been fascinated with VR for years. Maybe one day... I'm glad to not hear that you've had issues with your PC and the new kit! I was kinda worried what with how much grief the pc build was not long back.
This is a different computer! I finally gave up on fixing that supposedly "gaming" rig and dealing with CyberPower PC. So now that expensive computer is downstairs on our rolltop desk, where I use it to pay bills online and do very little else. Ugh.

Strangely enough, a geek friend helped me choose a better computer: a refurbished Dell *business* computer. I added a better video card, more RAM (I have 24GB right now), and crossed my fingers. No BSODs, no issues at ALL, and MUCH faster than the gaming rig ever was.

Oh, and half the price.

And it works without issues with the VR headset and sensors. My only issue is thinking of how to rearrange furniture in my office so that I can have a little more space for VR gaming.