Masters

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Ridley Scott - Master hack.
More a master of sci-fi than either Lucas or Spielberg in my mind...I don't see him as a hack...I really don't see him as the master of sci-fi though, but more-so than those others mentioned...

Alien
Blade Runner

Two of my favorite sci-fi films...

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Sedai
More a master of sci-fi than either Lucas or Spielberg in my mind...I don't see him as a hack...I really don't see him as the master of sci-fi though, but more-so than those others mentioned...

Alien
Blade Runner

Two of my favorite sci-fi films...
Hack wasn't a term of abuse in this instance (apologies if it appeared that way) as the two films you mentioned are among my favourites too. Think of 'hack' as 'director for hire' as Scott seems to be thesedays - he gets approached and generally turns the proverbial sow's ear of an idea/script into a decent movie.

My master of sci-fi would either be Douglas Trumbull or John Dykstra.

Randomly visiting for now
Quentin Tarentino - master of excess blood (Kill Bill vol. 1)
James Horner - master of emotional music (The Shawshank Redemption, A Beautiful mind, Titanic, Bicentennial Man, BRAVEHEART), truly a master.

David Fincher - Master of computer aided impossible camera moves.
David Lynch - Master of the barely comprehensible.

"Martin Scorsese, super genius" I think he's best at the Gangster genre, but theirs also Francis Ford Coppola whos in second.

Originally Posted by Zzat
"Martin Scorsese, super genius" I think he's best at the Gangster genre, but theirs also Francis Ford Coppola whos in second.
Agreed.

Allen, W.
Godard, J-L.
Hawks, H.
Hitchock, A.
Kubrick, S.
Kurosawa, A.
Mather, E.
Scorsese, M.
Soderbergh, S.
Truffaut, F.

Hitchcock
Gilliam
Lynch
Scorsese
Soderbergh
Jeunet
Kubrick
Kurosawa (still waiting for my copy of Ran to come in the mail....)
Huston
Polanski
Coppola

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Sure you can list some incredible directors, but what domain are they masters of?

Kubrik, for example, dables in different themes and genres...he is without a doubt an amazing director and I, to steal phrasing from a friend, think Eyes Wide Shut is our generation's Citizen Kane, but what would you propose he is a specific master of?

Originally Posted by OG-
Kubrik...but what would you propose he is a specific master of?
Making films.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hitch - Audience manipulation
Gilliam - Attention to detail
Lynch - Visceral film
Scorsese - Personal ideals in metaphor
Soderbergh - pacing, photography
Jeunet - Cinematography
Kubrick - Social allegory and the human condition
Kurosawa - sets, shots, emotion
Huston - Technical brilliance
Polanski - Because he did Chinatown/Technique
Coppola - Again with the pacing and technique...

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Zamfir: master of the pan flute
I just got done downloading and listening to, Zamfir - Plaisi D'Amour. Being that he's the first "pan flutist" I've heard, my idea of a master flutist is limited. In my opinion, he is good though.. I think.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Brian De Palma - Master of the long, poetic death scene (sorry, I've just watched The Untouchables).
Also......

Master of the 'reinterpretation' of the Odessa Steps sequence from Battleship Potemkin (twice)

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Originally Posted by OG-
Kubrik...but what would you propose he is a specific master of?
Making films.
DING!

[Although I would hasten to add that he was also the master of spelling his name correctly.]

Harrison Ford - Master of the worried look.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
You mean Master of the Universe.
Ok, I like Bruce Campbell as much as the next guy, the Evil Dead series is awesome, but I do think his vaunted place in movie geek culture is unearned. I mean he's only in 3 good films, and the rest of his output (save his cameos in Spider-Man) is just crap!

Name me at least one great non-Evil Dead realted Bruce Campbell film?

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/