The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
People voted for the wrong Chocolat Sorry Ed but that is funny.

Could that not be avoided if people put the year with their lists? Feel sorry for Iro having to look them all up and work out which one which one was meant.

Now wondering if people voted for the wrong Edge of Seventeen as well...

I feel a bit bad for The Matrix Reloaded, but as that was one I considered but didn't end up putting on my list I don't really have any right to complain that it didn't make it. It's got its mention here so all's well. I actually enjoyed it a lot, plenty of cheesy sci-fi action car chase gun fight in unsuitable outfits fun (it's Revolutions that I hated).

Welcome to the human race...
Some ballots only had titles without years or directors so I had to message a few people to clarify which specific titles they meant (such as whether or not one user's entry of "Holiday" meant 2006's The Holiday or 2018's Holiday). I thought I had encouraged people to ensure that they named directors as well just to make it easier all around. If the same thing happened with the 2016 Edge of Seventeen, then people can tell me about it but I don't think that was the case as that seems like a more obvious/well-known example than the 1998 movie.

As for The Matrix Reloaded, I like it well enough but not enough to actually vote for it.

I didn't, but she was on my list. Is it any good?
Haven't seen it yet mate. Only saw: US Go Home, Trouble Every Day, 35 Shots of Rum and Beau Travail. Loved the first two, liked 35 Shots quite a bit and just couldn't get into Beau Travail.

I'm just curious how many got mixed up between the Denis one and the Depp one like Ed.

The Edge of Seventeen was my #5. It has quickly become one of my favorite coming-of-age movies. Hailee Steinfeld and Woody Harrelson are both excellent in it. The script may hit a lot of the same beats as other films of its type, but the sharp, witty script had me regularly laughing out loud both times I watched the movie; and I think having a woman as both writer and director lends the film an authentic voice that makes the familiar feel fresh. I'm also surprised by how well I relate to the film. I've yet to grow beyond my training bra and my first period has yet to come, so normally coming-of-age films centered around female protagonists feel alien to me, but The Edge of Seventeen is less about being a teenaged girl as it is about being a social weirdo. Steinfeld's attitude toward her peers is almost identical to the attitude I had in high school.

The Voices was my #15. I'm shocked it made the countdown because I figured I'd be the only person to vote for it. I find the film to be a very underrated black comedy, and it perfectly suits my perverse sense of humor. I think Ryan Reynolds is a likeable guy, but I rarely like his movies, and I don't find him particularly funny. Unlike most of his films, however, the humor in The Voices doesn't rely on his delivery, but instead stems from everything going on around him. It's another film about a social weirdo, except this one hears animals telling him to murder people, so I guess it appeals to my own animal-loving nature and fascination with the macabre. There's some deliciously gruesome visuals and hearing a cat regularly cuss out its owner is naturally hilarious to me. Anna Kendrick and Gemma Arterton prove that they're incredibly sexy even when their heads aren't attached to their body. And the closing credits feature a sing-along with Jesus, so how can you go wrong there? The movie's bizarre, funny and disturbing in equal measure. Recommended for anyone who has ever kept a severed head in the fridge.

My List So Far:
#5) The Edge of Seventeen
#15) The Voices

Seen: 5/10

Lesbians and crime are the perfect mix, and I adore Jennifer Titty.

I have no need to see What Women Want. I already know what women want, and it's in my pants!

9. Bound (#90)
17. The Edge of Seventeen (#98)
25. Private Parts (#96)

Hell of a typo there.

I had Bound at #23, the first of my picks to make the list. Good, clean fun.

Have seen bits and pieces of What Women Want but it doesn't seem like something I'd really make the effort to watch from start to finish.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That wasn't a typo.
What Women Want actually has some hilarious moments but it's not on my list. I watched Bound again to show Sarah for this list. It's plenty sexy but it's really suspenseful with twists up the yingyang. I had it at #22 but I probably should have placed it in a higher position.

Seen 12/12.
My List
22. Bound

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I also had Bound at #22. Stylish, sexy and suspenseful crime thriller. I really like the whole design of it, sets, costumes etc.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I immediately disqualified any film that was credited Wachowski Brothers.

Suspect's Reviews

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Haven't seen Bound since it first came out and had saw it for Gerswin - my GOD what an intoxicating, diabolical smirk that woman has!!
What Women Want is pretty funny but did not make the list

Watched: 3/11
#4 Voices
#11 Chocolat

#87.
Deep Impact

(dir. Mimi Leder, 1998)

1 x 14th, 1 x 17th, 1 x 18th, 1 x 22nd, 1 x 24th, 1 x 25th
=
36 points