Cartoons, Animations, Anime etc. etc.

Tools    

Nowadays I feel like animated movies are being made faster than I can watch them! Any hidden gems you'd like to share? Also, any personal favorites? Somehow a lot of these new animated flicks pass right under my nose and I really feel like catching up. Just the other day a friend of mine told me about this supposedly quite psychedelic movie called "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" I've yet to see it but it sounds fun enough . Where I live (Sweden) I've noticed that quite a bunch of animated movies never make it to the cinema so that's probably one of the reasons I keep missing out. Anyways I thought it might be fun to get a discussion going about these kind of movies as they often pack some quite fun subliminal jokes and makes for an easy watch when feeling lazy!

I will make a top 100 favorite animated films thread soon. But you can look the ca. 30 animated films on that top 200 I have on my signature for information among my favorites.

Though I don't think that there are so many western animated movies, the US only makes about 15 per year for instance and few are watchable by adults (Madagascar 3 came to my mind: tried to watch it but couldn't).

If you want to know about someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of animation, there is this user profile http://myanimelist.net/animelist/FGAU1912, who has watched about 5,000 anime titles totaling 40,000 hours of animation, equivalent to 20,000 movies. See the movies he rated 10/10. Although he rated PMMM 6/10 ,

When I think Animation one name springs to mind: Hayao Miyazaki

He may have not made as many films as someone like Walt Disney but he has made some of the greatest films I have ever seen including:

Howl's Moving Castle
Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

I have not seen all of his films and his films are not always the easiest to follow but they are wonderful.

Also whilst I have not seen other films by the director Akira is wonderful, complex but wonderful.

Just the other day a friend of mine told me about this supposedly quite psychedelic movie called "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs"
^ Definitely worth the look, I do prefer the sequel though due to lovely Barry - but both fun and weird animations.

Some of my favourites: Most Studio Ghibli films with Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind being my favourite, I love stop motion films so Coraline, Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride, Frankenweenie, Paranorman, and Fantastic Mr Fox are all up there for me. Others I adore are A Cat in Paris, The Congress(half of this film is animation), most Pixar films with Ratatouille as my number one, Lego: The Movie, Madagasgar 3, Wreck It Ralph, The Water Babies(parts are in animation form, I use to watch this over and over), Les Triplettes de Belleville, and Persepolis.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
I'm not really of fan of modern Western animated movies but there are some absolute gems from the 80s and 90s and Studio Ghibli movies are almost always great.

Off the top of my head I'd recommend:

Movies:
Beauty and the Beast (my all time favorite )

The Little Mermaid

The Last Unicorn

Pretty much anything from Studio Ghibli (Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, and The Secret World of Arrietty are some of the best in my book)

TV shows:

The Legend of Korra (the first season is pretty lackluster but season 2 is much better and season 3 is really good so far)

The first two seasons of Gargoyles

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (It's a bit weird and I haven't finished it yet but so far it's a great show)

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
One of the most interesting animated films I've seen lately is Mary and Max which is dark, bleak, gross, sad, disturbing, heartbreaking, and made me feel joyous in one blink of an eye and in the next sent me down wallowing in the dumps.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I was just about to suggest this myself.

Of course I also have to second the Pixar recommendations (in particular Up, Ratatouille and Wall E) and also The Nightmare Before Christmas, Depsicable Me and Wreck It Ralph.

Others I really enjoy (from my personal Top 100):

Meet the Robinsons
Surf's Up
Bolt
Lilo and Stitch
The Emporer's New Groove
The Land Before Time
Charlotte's Web
Brother Bear
Chicken Run
Flushed Away
Over the Hedge

My favorite animated film is Fantastic Planet, but my favorite style of animation is stop-motion. I think stop-motion, the art and creation of it, is one of the greatest things in the world.

I am a Disney guy myself.

Got to go with Classics like Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and most of the Disney Renaissance like the already mentioned The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, and also Aladdin. The Princess and the Frog was very good too.

Disney Animation Studios is now making movies using 3D technology. And while I have not seen Tangled yet. but I really liked Wreck It Ralph, and most people know I am a huge fan of Frozen.

Thank you for your answers people Just back from vacation and I'm looking forward to checking some of your many suggestions out! Cheers

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I know you asked for movies, but if you want something shorter, Rick and Morty is well written and enjoyable. In addition Sealab 2021 will never get old to me. There is something to be said for recycling old horrible cartoons.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I have seen most of the Animated movies released in America, but I am always looking to delve deeper into Anime. I also have been meaning to watch foreign animation besides from Japan after I enjoyed Fantastic Planet so much.

I have been meaning to watch The Illusionist...

Exploring anime is my primary interest these days. I have a list of perhaps a hundred series and movies considered classics from The Tale of the White Serpent in 1958 to Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Steins;Gate in 2011. For movies there are two that really impressed me recently:

The Castle of Cagliostro (1979): A fantastic action/adventure film with the famous anime thief character, Lupin III. Miyazaki's (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) first film, I believe, and you can see it in the smooth, fun animations which still look incredible to me today.

Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise (1987): This is the story of a fictional nation's space program. Incredibly world building punctuated by intense though down to earth action scenes, all incredibly animated, with a story that is both very human and relatable and also a little political.

Just watched Wolf Children last week. It was beautiful to watch and had a lovely story about a mother raising her two children that are half-human and half-wolf. Worth checking out!

Just saw WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE (2014), and it was pretty great. I really hope it doesn't end up being Studio Ghibli's last.